Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Some women are 'afraid' of commitment because they are always looking for a better deal and refuse to settle for just one guy at whatever point in time they could potentially get married because in some sense marriage still limits a person's options. Women like that are so narcissistically self-absorbed that they have a type of fantasy/delusional based image of the kind of guy that they would marry (and no mortal man could ever be that) and when he does not come along, they make the excuse that they have not found the right one yet.
Can you please translate this gobbledygook into English?
And do you feel the same way about men who are single?

You're saying that I'm narcissistic because I don't want to be married?
How peculiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Lots of people have no interest in marriage. Yes it has a lot of blessings, but some people, men and women, are not all that interested in sex, and so marriage to them is mostly burden because you are taking on the responsibility of caring for the needs of someone else. Lots of people don't want the extra work and burden.
I have no interest in marriage, but I absolutely enjoy sex (as often as possible).
Why would one preclude the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
The difference is that far more women do it because far more women have this option. Comparing a few men who trade in at 40 is very different to comparing the many women who refuse to settle for anything other than a gold encrusted gem.

Besides, when the 40 y o man "trades in", it is usually because he was unhappy for some time and one of these women who shopped around too long, found that there were no more men left who would both impress her girlfriends and actually take any interest in her. He generally pays for this in asset loss and alimony.

Raiding the married inventory therefore became her only palatable option so she was probably more responsible for the divorce than the husband was.
Interesting.
You make excuses for men and blame women for both the man's divorce and only wanting "gold encrusted gem(s)".
Why would I settle for something less than what I want?
Trust me, it doesn't include money, I make more than enough to keep me in the lifestyle that I've let myself become accustomed to.
There are personal qualities that I'm looking for that I won't compromise on. Some of them are that the man has to like the company of women; he has to be happy with his life; must keep me intellectually stimulated; be a reader; be politically liberal.

Why would I settle for any less than what I'm looking for?
That makes absolutely no sense.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I'm only 25 but I have a serious fear of winding up with the wrong man. I don't believe in divorce and want to get it right the first time. Thankfully I"m not like my mother, dating men like my dad, which she did and married and now divorced. Anyways, I realize this fear will keep me single for a long time so I need to get over it.
The key is to not be afraid of divorce. It's a get out of jail free card! A present from the state! In this country we have been given divorce as a Gift, an escape to ones freedom from an abusive relationship! For what ever reason people look at it as a failure? In years past religion has "Forced" people to stay together forever, even if that person is the wrong person and he or she abuses you.

This forum is full of examples that justify my new position on divorce
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...get-their.html

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-09-2012 at 06:08 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
This pretty much sums it up. I'm married but if we didn't have young children I would leave. If I ever get out of this never again. My sister is 41, childless, and makes over 100k a year. She is dating a guy after being single for a while and seems to be coming to the conclusion that maybe she really is better off single.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Along those lines, I saw this over the weekend: http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/ever...ant_a_Wife.pdf

It's an essay from MS Magazine from 1971.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Lots of people have no interest in marriage. Yes it has a lot of blessings, but some people, men and women, are not all that interested in sex, and so marriage to them is mostly burden because you are taking on the responsibility of caring for the needs of someone else. Lots of people don't want the extra work and burden.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Whats marriage have to do with Sex. From what I see here married people don't have much sex so its a perfect environment for those who don't want it

Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
From what I see here married people don't have much sex so its a perfect environment for those who don't want it
I don't know who those married people are, but having been on both sides of the fence, I'll tell you I most certainly don't have more sex as a single person. Granted, unlike many single men, I CAN have it if I want to, but in reality I don't. I'd venture to say that those who even have hard time obtaining it likely don't have more sex than married people.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Interesting.
You make excuses for men and blame women for both the man's divorce and only wanting "gold encrusted gem(s)".
Why would I settle for something less than what I want?
Trust me, it doesn't include money, I make more than enough to keep me in the lifestyle that I've let myself become accustomed to.
There are personal qualities that I'm looking for that I won't compromise on. Some of them are that the man has to like the company of women; he has to be happy with his life; must keep me intellectually stimulated; be a reader; be politically liberal.

Why would I settle for any less than what I'm looking for?
That makes absolutely no sense.

Because, honey, a woman past 30 is washed up and desperate for any man that will give her the time of day. All us womens really want and need a man to take care of us and brag to our girlfriends about.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin2012 View Post
I realize women don't marry in their teens anymore, but what would be the reason behind someone approaching 40 to have never married and have such a phobia toward commitment?

Men tend to behave this way....but some women do as well.
Truth? I think with the "era" of talk shows and smut magazines and the high rate of spouses who cheat women see, read and hear way too much about spouses who are anything but loyal and committed. I have a sister in law who is mid 50's and never been married and another who is early 50's and not married. Both are successfully employed, college degrees and not even a slight chance of obtaining a spouse..I think expectations are way too high at this point of their lives. I'm not saying that all men are bad or that it is impossible to find a good guy..heck I have been married 3 times...first one out of the 3 was the only bad one. Second one passed away and am now married to a fantastic guy. I don't know, perhaps the single women out there just want way too much, who knows??

Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM

199 posts, read 391,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Truth? I think with the "era" of talk shows and smut magazines and the high rate of spouses who cheat women see, read and hear way too much about spouses who are anything but loyal and committed. I have a sister in law who is mid 50's and never been married and another who is early 50's and not married. Both are successfully employed, college degrees and not even a slight chance of obtaining a spouse..I think expectations are way too high at this point of their lives. I'm not saying that all men are bad or that it is impossible to find a good guy..heck I have been married 3 times...first one out of the 3 was the only bad one. Second one passed away and am now married to a fantastic guy. I don't know, perhaps the single women out there just want way too much, who knows??
It certainly seems like a logical reason. We are a victim of our own excess always being told we can have it all, without sacrificing anything. Or it could stem from mothers being too picky with their daughters during childhood resulting in women dating men for a long period of time trying to find the "perfect" one....to please mom.

Dating is kinda like shopping for breakfast cereal...we have too many choices...some are wholesome, some have lots of sugar and some just have the toy inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships