Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times

Advertisements

I am pleased to read that you have your integrity and are wanting to respect her and yourself by remaining in seperate homes. Make certain her desire to live with you is NOT to take advantage of you financially.
It's not easy living alone, but very rewarding. I would never take advantage of someone.

Can you say 100% that you want to marry her? If so, that would fix this issue.

But it sounds like she is confused with regards to her love for you and her ideas about respect and full access.

Stay true to your traditions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 03:47 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
To me, this is not an issue about "traditional values", it's her independence that I'm questioning. If you were to compromise and move in with her, it can't be because she's desperate and has nowhere else to go, it has to be because you are both ready for that step.
Even though I don't condone "shacking up," I do agree with what you just said!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM

13 posts, read 18,609 times
Thank you all for the unbiased insight to my situation. I think I'll end up ok in the long run.... going to wait until she is done with graduation later this month before I do anything though. I dont wish any ill well on her, we just turned out to not be compatible for the long run....I think....
Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Your posts throw up so many red flags.

She is manipulating you-or trying. You are her meal ticket and she doesn't want to lose you.

You have:
-College degree
-Good job
-Good housing
-Stability and security

She has:
-Crappy job
-Housing issues
-Tantrum like behavior-pure manipulation.
-Places your relationship in competition with her old ones-and is convinced her interpretation is the correct one.
-Wants to change your belief system.

Let me guess: The more you resist the nuttier she gets?

Next up: Pregnancy, real or imagined.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Your posts throw up so many red flags.

She is manipulating you-or trying. You are her meal ticket and she doesn't want to lose you.

You have:
-College degree
-Good job
-Good housing
-Stability and security

She has:
-Crappy job
-Housing issues
-Tantrum like behavior-pure manipulation.
-Places your relationship in competition with her old ones-and is convinced her interpretation is the correct one.
-Wants to change your belief system.

Let me guess: The more you resist the nuttier she gets?

Next up: Pregnancy, real or imagined.

After reading that, the move "Being john malkovich" comes to mind. YES to everything! I am seriously getting very disheveled the longer this goes on.

After My first post to gain some insight on my situation, I still only wanted to make things work. So I took the advice (from what few they were, and for good reason I see now) mostly from those that were letting me know that holding true to my values and my mind set and to just let her know that will not change worked....for a little bit......

She is graduating from the university later this week, and as a person and friend I am genuinely happy for her. It has been a long road for her. But the dark side of this she has just been fired from her job......this is the 4th job in a row she has been let go from since we have been together.....

Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM

I guess the next thing is to figure out how to do the break up....Not fishing for any cookie cutter generic way of ding it But, I just really wish the best for her and what she wants and Im sad that I dont see a future like we had hopped with her. Its weird but, a part of me is a little concerned of what she might do?... To herself..... Last time we went on a "break" she said that she didnt eat for 10 days....

Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindOnFire View Post
I guess the next thing is to figure out how to do the break up....Not fishing for any cookie cutter generic way of ding it But, I just really wish the best for her and what she wants and Im sad that I dont see a future like we had hopped with her. Its weird but, a part of me is a little concerned of what she might do?... To herself..... Last time we went on a "break" she said that she didnt eat for 10 days....
Hunger strike=more manipulation. You cannot control what they do. You can control how you respond to it.

Fired from her fourth job? Terrible work ethic. I'm sure her version is she was treated "unfairly" blah, blah, blah. More drama.

Employers see the real her in her work life and fired her....now apply that theory to your relationship...

You are getting disheveled? You are letting her control you by letting your relationship status and her behavior affect your appearance.

You can be happy for her graduation and still move on.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM

270 posts, read 409,319 times
What are the current living arrangements? If she's still at your mom's, it'll be tougher. But ... simply tell her the truth -- that it's become obvious that you two aren't a good fit and you both need to move on. She'll cry & threaten & make a scene, but just stay strong. Be calm and firm and resolute. Tell her you really want the best for her, you're proud of her for graduating, you're sad, but you don't see a future. Then say goodbye. That's all you can do. Her reaction is her responsibility alone.

Last edited by RiderGirl; 05-01-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 08:18 AM

Wow.... Looking back on this post, so many emotions come to mind in a wave of experiences, trials, testes, and above all growth for both me and my now wife. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the update!

Care to provide a summary of the past 6 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships