Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
People have been developing relationships and procreating for thousands of years without the internet, and a lot of them have been extremely busy.
The internet doesn't develop relationships. Once you meet for that first date the internet has nothing to do with it. All the internet does is facilitate initial contact. After that it doesn't play much of a role in the relationship you create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:53 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Call me naive, but doesn't fawning over someone when you're just meeting someone (in this case the first message) come off as rather weighty and overwhelming? The only time fawning seems to work as a "pick up" is in an Arthurian romance, which should say it all. Also, wouldn't conveying "not having a shot in hell" get you written off self-confessed loser? This is, of course, assuming it is not an act.
Yes to all of the above. The confident people, and the fawning losers, were two discrete groups. Not sure if I made that clear..

Which is why I'm saying no "pick up artist" would advise it.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Well, I think that attractive men are in high demand as well in the "real dating world," but not nearly as much so online. Something obviously gets lost in translation.

For women it is the opposite. Attractive women are more in-demand on the internet, than they are in the "real dating world."

My ex and I are both good looking people, who are "in demand" in the "real dating world." The discrepancy only shows up online.
Unless you're loaded with muscles or flaunting tons on money, online dating caters strictly to women and offers little to men. That's a fact.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM

688 posts, read 897,593 times
Quote:
Pretty much. People have been developing relationships and procreating for thousands of years without the internet, and a lot of them have been extremely busy. Technology is an inhibitor to a real relationship, not a help. Look at all the problems stuff like Facebook creates...
Wow, I wasn't expecting you to actually agree with that sarcastic statement.

So, by that logic, shy people are a lower form of human than those who are socially skilled? Surely you jest.

I'm sure a majority of people on dating websites are just shy, have unique hobbies/activities where they don't meet many members of the opposing sex or any that have been compatible, are generally unattractive or have a few undesirable traits that most people throw "red flags" on.

People you describe are no better than these people. Honestly, I have just started dating again recently and I rely on dating websites and friends/family "hook ups" because I'm simply too shy to approach an attractive female. Other than that, I'm a perfectly normal human being with plenty of desirable and undesirable traits.

You do realize, those who use online dating sites don't have the relationship over the internet, right? They meet in person and go from there. It's most definitely a useful tool for those who have a hard time finding relationships due to their own lack of social abilities and/or physical attributes.

What problems do Facebook create? I've had a Facebook account for a few years. Never once have I had any problem arise from it.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
The OP makes a great point and gives good advice to men who haven't had much success on line.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Technology is an inhibitor to a real relationship, not a help. Look at all the problems stuff like Facebook creates...
The internet has effed up people's social capabilities even more, not just in dating. It has been one of society's biggest double-edged swords. On one hand, you can look up Metro schedules in Barcelona...and, on the other hand, you can trade away face-to-face social interaction.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
To be honest, that's kinda how I felt, like I was giving up on dating the normal way and that I was too undesirable for men to approach me out and about. so ya, its embarrassing, especially when you're only 25, but I did suck it up and tried it. I might try it again later on, but it wasn't working for me. so its Not that I can't meet someone the normal way, its just not happening much anymore, even though I do go out all the time and socialize, getting approached by someone I'm attracted to is pretty rare for me.
You know, Mir, even though I haven't mentioned it, this has been annoying me for a while. "I'm ONLY 25" appears in almost every other post of yours. I don't resent your being young. It's fine. You'll be ONLY 30 before you blink. What I find kind of irritating is that evidently you think that only young people are somehow desirable, which is certainly not the case. In fact, many of them will lose if there is a competition.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:04 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I just counted: Since April 1, she's gotten 58 views. I've gotten 6 !

That means for every 1 single, active female online profile, you have about 10 men chasing her.
This is to be expected, its the same concept behind "ladies night" at the local bar.

Males are normally the pursuer.

However, that doesnt support your premise. I met my wife on one of those sites.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is to be expected, its the same concept behind "ladies night" at the local bar.
Hell no it isn't!

No bar I go to has a 10:1 ratio, unless it's a sports bar -- and then i don't expect to meet any women.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:08 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
On-line dating could be much the same, especially if you have ethnic, religious or familial status dimensions that are important to you.
Actually, any dimensions at all could be applied. I actually specifically never listed my job or income, listed that I had no interest in gold diggers, and the minute any conversation turned to my income or job, I stopped talking to them.

My current wife never once asked me about my job or income. She didnt even know what I did for many months in to our relationship, nor did she care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships