Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I've worked at least part-time throughout college including the last 3 years full-time. That is what I know.
In other words, what you know about a professional workplace would fit on the head of a pin. Part-time ain't full-time.

Look, if you're about to hit the world of work, I'd dump the attitude really, really fast like a bad habit. Unless, of course, you really do want to be a barrista for the rest of your days. There are actually plenty of companies that do indeed reward talent and hard work. There are plenty of companies that do indeed give a rip about their employees and make decisions about pay and benefits accordingly. Walk into the world of work with this, "I'm going to do the bare minimum to get by" mentality, and you'll look up at age 32 and realize that you're barely getting by in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In other words, what you know about a professional workplace would fit on the head of a pin. Part-time ain't full-time.

Look, if you're about to hit the world of work, I'd dump the attitude really, really fast like a bad habit. Unless, of course, you really do want to be a barrista for the rest of your days. There are actually plenty of companies that do indeed reward talent and hard work. There are plenty of companies that do indeed give a rip about their employees and make decisions about pay and benefits accordingly. Walk into the world of work with this, "I'm going to do the bare minimum to get by" mentality, and you'll look up at age 32 and realize that you're barely getting by in life.
I know there are companies out there like you described, problem is I just ain't at one of them. I have no incentive whatsoever to work my way up. I'm trying to get somewhere that allows me that but the only thing my current gig allows me to do is pay bills and that is all.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I know there are companies out there like you described, problem is I just ain't at one of them. I have no incentive whatsoever to work my way up. I'm trying to get somewhere that allows me that but the only thing my current gig allows me to do is pay bills and that is all.
Then work harder. Get more responsibility. Make it count. THEN change jobs.

I think your attitude however is unrealistic at this point. Your first job out of college isn't going to be paradise. Take your lumps, pay your dues for a year or two, and then move on.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,695 times
What is so wrong about being content? So men aren't allowed to settle once we earn more than enough? I suppose 70k/yr isn't enough for some people. Sounds like more entitlement nonsense.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
What is so wrong about being content? So men aren't allowed to settle once we earn more than enough? I suppo
se 70k/yr isn't enough for some people. Sounds like more entitlement nonsense.
There isn't a damn thing wrong with it and anyone who says otherwise is a damn fool. A damn fool who's been brainwashed by this insane society and culture that is always pushing for 'more more more'... just had a Morgan Spurlock moment there, think 'Super Size Me' if you don't get the reference, but I digress...

Look, if you're happy making $70k/yr, great. $25k/yr, terrific. $200k/yr, awesome. Whatever. Why should ANYONE aside from YOU give a flying **** how much you make?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Ambition doesn't necessarily equal money.

Ambition is about getting up today and wanting to be better than you were yesterday (for yourself).

Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
There isn't a damn thing wrong with it and anyone who says otherwise is a damn fool. A damn fool who's been brainwashed by this insane society and culture that is always pushing for 'more more more'... just had a Morgan Spurlock moment there, think 'Super Size Me' if you don't get the reference, but I digress...

Look, if you're happy making $70k/yr, great. $25k/yr, terrific. $200k/yr, awesome. Whatever. Why should ANYONE aside from YOU give a flying **** how much you make?
Thank you!!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Ambition doesn't necessarily equal money.

Ambition is about getting up today and wanting to be better than you were yesterday (for yourself).
In the dating world, yes it does. When a woman - usually a younger one, btw - says she wants a dude with 'ambition' that's code for $ (or £, if you prefer). No way around it.

A struggling novellist/playwright/screenplay writer/whatever can have lots of 'ambition' but if he isn't bringing in the $/£ then it's no-go with the nubile chicks. Sorry, have a nice day and thank you for playing. Now go back to your basement and munch on your Cheeze Puffs and drink your Coke and have fun with yourself.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
In the dating world, yes it does. When a woman - usually a younger one, btw - says she wants a dude with 'ambition' that's code for $ (or £, if you prefer). No way around it.

A struggling novellist/playwright/screenplay writer/whatever can have lots of 'ambition' but if he isn't bringing in the $/£ then it's no-go with the nubile chicks. Sorry, have a nice day and thank you for playing. Now go back to your basement and munch on your Cheeze Puffs and drink your Coke and have fun with yourself.
Okay I am a young female. I am ambitious enough for 5 people. I would LOVE a struggling novelist/play-write/artist etc as I am a professional writer myself. I'd take ambitious creativity over ambitious stuffy white collar any day. But that's just me.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I am extremely ambitious and expect my man to be equally as ambitious. I have ended relationships because of a lack of motivation. It is definitely high on my priority list, right under being intelligent.

Same here, I find ambition to be a very admirable quality in a man. If he cant get motivated to find a job or improve his station in life, how certain could I be that he wont feel motivated enough to take care of me, the house, or our kids if we had any???..my dad wasn't ambitious at all, and it pains me to admit that when I bought home C's on my report card in elementary school his only response was "well thats passing right? ok, good." whereas my mom completely went hay-wire, grounded me and demanded I bring home at least A's and B's on my next report card...My mom was always unhappy about the inequality of goals in their relationship - my dad did the bare minimum to earn an income and that was it. The idea of me wanting to even attend graduate school made him scratch his head!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships