Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So are you guys implying that if you wanted to take a vacation and she can't afford to pay her own way you would just go by yourself? Even if you are officially in a relationship? I would think most partners men or women would be somewhat offended by that...
I think it depends on the relationship. If you are already committed and pretty much a couple - I wouldn't want to go on vacation by myself! Paying for my SO wouldn't be a big deal to me at all if we were in love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
that's it exactly- you don't have a partner- you have a dependent I don't fund freeloaders.
I'm no pushover by any stretch of the imagination, but I might go for that as long as I could call ALL the shots about where we visit, how long, where we eat, what sites to see, etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That's why I said it depends on the situation. By 3 months - my husband and I were already saying "I love you." We were on tour together so we couldn't really go on vacation together until tour was over - although we would take little day trips and a couple overnight trips when we had a few days off. We went to Vegas after tour was over since it was about a 5 hour drive from my hometown when we went to visit my family. But I think we usually split the hotel and everything. Although I'm pretty sure he paid for most of our meals. However, the girl that he was dating before me he took to New Orleans and paid for a room at the Ritz. She paid for all the meals but I'm sure that didn't even equal one night at the Ritz. They weren't even that serious about each other - he just wanted to go to New Orleans and stay at the Ritz! So - different things for different situations.

I manage all of our money now, too!
Exactly. In a brand new relationship, I'd shy away from anything so soon, but when my now-hubby and I got back together in '01, within a few weeks it was like we'd never broken up.

The "I love you" came one night when he said "I STILL love you, after all these years" and I said "I love you too" and that's how it went from there!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
It really depends. If I invited him or her on the vacation, knowing full well that they wouldn't be able to contribute much financially, then I would expect to cover expenses. Up to how much depends upon what kind of vacation I wanted.

If it was something we planned together or something that my partner came up with, then all of a sudden, I'm covering 90%+ of the costs, then I'd be a bit peeved.

As for it being only 3 months into the relationship, considering that 99% of my relationships started as friendships first, I would have no problems with weekend vacations or day trips with said person. A full week or longer? I would definitely want to be with that person longer before doing something like that.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
unless plane tickets are involved it wouldnt cost much more to have two people vs one (and would be much more enjoyable). this thread makes me kind of jealous as a female who has to pay for all of our vacations :/

Old 04-24-2012, 02:26 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,592 times
Quote:
for someone you've been dating only 3 months? Assume the other person cannot afford to contribute anything. Question is open to both men and women.
$0.00

Old 04-24-2012, 02:26 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
At 3 months, I would not go on vacation with a woman I'm dating. It could be really fun, or it could be a trip from hell that breaks the couple up.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
That depends. If you are dating someone who has much less than you, and you can afford it, why not? But if you prefer not to, it should not be a big deal. My SO is going to Alaska this summer, he asked me to go, but to pay for my own trip. I can't afford it. I declined. He did also ask someone else, who he offered to pay for her trip...she declined. Difference? He has known me for 3 months, her for 45 years. No big deal. He is still going, and sharing a room with a guy he knows.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:47 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I think after 3 months maybe go away for a night or two...drive somewhere Friday after work or Saturday morning...hang out the day and come back. A really fancy trip with airfare and many nights of hotel and meals?? No way.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM

391 posts, read 688,087 times
Quote:
for someone you've been dating only 3 months? Assume the other person cannot afford to contribute anything. Question is open to both men and women.
Nothing.

At that point if the other person can pay for themselves and want to
come along I have no objections... just don't tell me when it is time to
come back that you only purchased a 1-way ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships