Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Sometimes they're not defending it though, redvelvet, but just trying to explain why they were doing that so that you can understand better. Yesterday I got mad at my friend for not signing and voicing at the same time when she was hanging out with me (I'm blind) and another friend (who's deaf). She explained that she couldn't do both at the same time, which hadn't occurred to me because I sign and voice simultaneously all the time. But she ended with saying she will try to accommodate both of us in the future by voicing for me and signing for our deaf friend. Maybe by your definition that's defending her behavior, but she did apologize, and said she would work on improving, so I don't see it as a defense. If there was no apology and no willingness to change that behavior, then I would. I think you have to see the reasoning in context before you can tell if it's being defensive.
It is hard to be aware of others above yourself. We are not wired to do so. In this, you are absolutely correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Awesome explanation. Thanks. I am just super frustrated today with the flack I seem to get on here. I try and hold folks to a higher standard. No one wants that.
You come off as super-preachy to people who don't believe the same as you. There is your explanation.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
well, I see your point. But still, where is the accountability regarding discernment to begin with? Why lie at all? Why not just communicate in the beginning?
I never do that, so I still find it hard to try and put myself in that place to understand it in others.
I guess I am hyper-aware of my own feelings.
I get what you're saying. It's easy to judge people and hard to offer compassion. Have you really never lied in your whole life? Are you really that much better than the person you're annoyed with? Don't get me wrong--it is annoying and hurtful when people lie, but you have to realize there are things you do (even if it's not lying but something else) that people have to put up with. Sometimes people are trying to offer their reasons. Maybe they were scared to say the truth. Maybe they didn't want to hurt your feelings, or someone else's. Maybe they weren't ready to be honest with themselves. Who knows. It doesn't make it right but it helps you realize why they lied. Have you really never done something that someone else found offensive or hurtful? You've never in your life made any mistakes? You have to give people room for being human. They're not perfect and nor are you. Sometimes we mess up. Give them a little wiggle room, and give yourself a little wiggle room too. If they're admitting now that they lied, they're already a step in the right direction.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
well, I see your point. But still, where is the accountability regarding discernment to begin with? Why lie at all? Why not just communicate in the beginning?
I never do that, so I still find it hard to try and put myself in that place to understand it in others.
I guess I am hyper-aware of my own feelings.

When that person is truly holding accountability for a mistake is when they are breaking the cycle or at least trying to. They make backslide but someone that admits to their mistakes and makes effort to change should be appreciated. The only thing you have to watch for is if they just SAY they are sorry and don't display it through exercising more positive behaviors. That could indicate a false apology was instead a manipulative move.

The tricky thing is during the changing process if someone hits a backslide their behavior can seem like a manipulative move but it may not always be the case. It doesn't make it ok or right. Its just part of the process that can go either way to show who the person really is. A true sociopath will always just tell you what you want to hear or use abusive language to justify negative behaviors and most likely will never change. There are those who just have sociopath tendencies that they can change/control if they choose to though.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Why is it that people seem to want to defend their bad choices? Why acknowledge that you have done a bad thing yet still defend that thing in the same breath?
Because rationalization is the most powerful force in the universe.

For most people, just about anything is easier than saying, "I was a complete, unredeemable dumb ass. I should be beaten with sticks for doing something that heinous."

That's why the simple apology is becoming a lost art, chiefly because people think that saying, "I'm sorry" without conditions is some form of weakness. Instead, the act of apologizing is a sign of inward strength because it shows that you are not just honest, but brave enough to admit wrongdoing and face the consequences.

The hell of it is, simply apologizing is probably the easiest way to defuse any situation. Instead, most people give half an apology, saying something like, "Well, I'm sorry for sleeping with your best friend, but you should have never said I look fat in that dress." People who do that look like untrustworthy idiots, people to whom ethical, responsible behavior is conditional.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
I am just super frustrated today with the flack I seem to get on here.

I try and hold folks to a higher standard. No one wants that.
First, a lot of what your read here are half truths.

These will not be folks who want to be held to higher standard.

You're wasting your time to expect more.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,577 times
Awww redvelvet is the victim. I'm guessing most of the people who've answered this thread aren't familiar with your posts.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Awww redvelvet is the victim. I'm guessing most of the people who've answered this thread aren't familiar with your posts.
Thank you!!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
No, I haven't, reply would be the same.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Because rationalization is the most powerful force in the universe.

For most people, just about anything is easier than saying, "I was a complete, unredeemable dumb ass. I should be beaten with sticks for doing something that heinous."

That's why the simple apology is becoming a lost art, chiefly because people think that saying, "I'm sorry" without conditions is some form of weakness. Instead, the act of apologizing is a sign of inward strength because it shows that you are not just honest, but brave enough to admit wrongdoing and face the consequences.

The hell of it is, simply apologizing is probably the easiest way to defuse any situation. Instead, most people give half an apology, saying something like, "Well, I'm sorry for sleeping with your best friend, but you should have never said I look fat in that dress." People who do that look like untrustworthy idiots, people to whom ethical, responsible behavior is conditional.
Thanks. I will re-read these words again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships