Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,033,731 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the temptation of the world and self destructive fleshly pleasures. I never heard of some of these, but they are just different spins on things that have been around.

Nearly all teens to young adults get exposed to some kind activity or action that is dangerous, addictive, destructive, etc, that is done for a quick thrill, and/or high. Whether it is interesting "games" such as these, or simply getting involved in alcohol, drugs, risky behavior, etc.

I hate to simply just say that is how life is either, since this stuff does have a habit of consuming lives, destroying them and harming loved ones around those people.

Part of growing up is getting smarter. That involves making mistakes, doing dumb things, but hopefully learning from them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,470,309 times
Very, very odd responses.

Posting a couple of posing pics on twitter takes WAY LESS time than browsing a forum and responding threads.

Hypocritical thread is hypocritical.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,903,270 times
dump ppl exist in every age group, just as smart people do. jackass, the movie, was made by adults, remember...

Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 AM

674 posts, read 1,162,272 times
High unemployment rate = people start doing weird things with their time.

At least they're not out committing crimes. Crime rates typically increase along with unemployment rates.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,402,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So, dont know if this is the right place for this, but I think so because it has to do with the relationships we have with freinds and the things we do for entertainment. I'm just wondering why my generation is so stupid? Say, 25 and under. First thing I heard about was "planking"...... I mean, what is so cool about it? What thrill do people get out of doing it? It was the most stupid thing I had ever heard of..... that is..... until it's successor "owling" came along. Again, just as ignorant and asinine as planking.

One of the even more recent trends among the youth now, is to take some kind of kitchen spice, put it on a spoon, and try to swallow it dry, which has been proven, cannot be done. That leads to choking and coughing, and sometimes even death.

What I heard tonight though has to take the cake. It's something new called "possoming". Apparently, it's when you and your freinds sit inj a tree and drink. The last one to be in the tree wins, after of course the rest of their freinds have gotten so drunk that they fall out of the tree.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? What is going on here? These things have to make me ask the question, are we getting progressively dumber as a species? What is the entertainment value of such foolishness? Is this form of entertainment something new or did older generations have these types of trends growing up as well? And finaly, to the younger members, what is so funny anout these stupid things?
What is owling? Planking? I've never heard of those stuff before. I think it's just funny (not really) how people don't say anything about the whole kitchen spice thing until someone really dies from it.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM

3,936 posts, read 6,849,735 times
This is one of the more idiotic threads I have seen. There is plenty of stupid people in all generations. The reason you dont notice more stupidity in older generations is because they have either matured and grown out of it, or died/landed themselves in jail doing the stupid stuff that existed back in their day. Who are you to judge these people who enjoy such harmless tasks if it isn't affecting you one bit?

As another poster mentioned, you better learn to live a little or your life will be very sad and lonely when you are "old" yourself. I enjoy watching others do jackass things. I even laughed at some of the planking pictures I have seen, although I would never do it myself. Lighten up a little, you only live once.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,325,448 times
"Being young" doesn't and shouldn't justify doing stupid things. They should know better regardless of their age, which is a sign of maturity. Or at least I do.

Sadly, some people never grow up, my father is nearly 50 and still acts like a 14 year old at times and does other reckless and stupid things. I'm 19 and am the parent of him sometimes! Same with my aunt and a couple of other "grown" adults I know. However, there are some people who are just so plain stupid it amazes me they even know how to breath. Like the guy in that video le roi has below of cone-ing.

Last edited by 90sman; 05-04-2012 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times

CONE-ING IS THE NEW PLANKING!!!!! (AlkiStevens) - YouTube

don't forget cone-ing

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,496,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Sometimes people do stupid things, it's really that simple. I'm 28, have a degree in Aerospace Engineering and consider myself fairly intelligent and I will admit that I like silly things like owling. I think a large part of it is that sometimes you need to do something childish to keep life interesting. If all I did were 'adult' things, life would be pretty bland and boring.

Just a few weeks ago a few of my friends and I sat around in a garage and drunkenly played spin the bottle...I was one of the youngest people there. I also have a good friend with a Ph.D in geology and in between him doing field research we get to hang out. We still can't get through a game of billiards without laughing at the word 'balls' and making some pretty crude childish okes.

Laugh a little, do some stupid stuff and joke around with your friends about it later
Hi Jet----I guess I'm getting old! What is planking and owling?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
Don't worry, it's just natural selection doing what it's good at. This generation is no exception, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships