Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,567,974 times

Advertisements

I have to post this as I am about crazy listening to this term! When did Baby Mama and Baby Daddy start being used as a reference to mother of the child/ren or father of the child/ren? I am an educated woman and I will tell you, I find this very immature, ridiculous, lack of using intelligence. Sorry, but you have to hear it.

I am divorced and I have two children by my former spouse. We refer to each other as, "my sons Mom, my sons Dad OR my sons mother, my sons father." Simple as that, doesn't that sound much better? Also, just to add, even if we had never been married to each other, it still sounds more appropriate and more respectful to my children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,106 times
Doesn't bother me. I actually think its a clever term as it accurately denotes the baby is the former spouse's biological offspring.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I have to post this as I am about crazy listening to this term! When did Baby Mama and Baby Daddy start being used as a reference to mother of the child/ren or father of the child/ren? I am an educated woman and I will tell you, I find this very immature, ridiculous, lack of using intelligence. Sorry, but you have to hear it.

I am divorced and I have two children by my former spouse. We refer to each other as, "my sons Mom, my sons Dad OR my sons mother, my sons father." Simple as that, doesn't that sound much better? Also, just to add, even if we had never been married to each other, it still sounds more appropriate and more respectful to my children.
I agree.

It's part of the general degradation of US society....

Yeah, I know... gonna get hate from that statement.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
I view the terminology to mean very young people who have no connection or involvement with each other than that they had a child together and for the most part are completely absentee in many cases. She's not his girlfriend, he's not her boyfriend, they have nothing to do with one another except she's his baby's mama and he's her baby's daddy. Nothing more and nothing less. They are however belittling terms of unaccountability.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's part of the general degradation of US society....
Not really... Just like "female" used as a noun, it's something you must hear in the ghettos. I certainly haven't heard it anywhere in real life unless I happen to flip channels and come across trash TV. I don't live in the ghetto and I don't watch trash TV, so I really don't need to worry about it.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:07 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
I agree. What's so darn hard about saying " the baby's daddy/mommy" instead? It's so lazy.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
I assumed it was supposed to be funny, sort of joking about the way people say it on trashy, bottom-of-the-barrel talk shows.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Doesn't bother me. I actually think its a clever term as it accurately denotes the baby is the former spouse's biological offspring.
I always thought it was a stupid term to refer to teenage parents.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,203,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I view the terminology to mean very young people who have no connection or involvement with each other than that they had a child together and for the most part are completely absentee in many cases. She's not his girlfriend, he's not her boyfriend, they have nothing to do with one another except she's his baby's mama and he's her baby's daddy. Nothing more and nothing less. They are however belittling terms of unaccountability.
^^ This. Usually people who have only dated rather casually and then have had a child together get slammed with that term. And usually only people like that refer to themselves as that. I admit I say that about women/guys who have like 3 kids by 3 different people that they only dated for about for 5 months each, never been married, etc. I dont use that term as a complement, if you know what I mean. The way some people breed out there, that's all they are. I suppose I could say 'her sperm donor' JK

For people who have been married and divorced for example, I dont say that about them. Then it's 'her child's father' etc.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
I view the term as a low life, ghetto thing that's tacky and trashy. Certain people in society are simply not educated or classy enough to use tasteful language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships