Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Maybe I am wrong. But what I see posted on the boards at Facebook mostly are people talking about themselves and others late into the night. To me it's a lot more fun to communicate with others face to face, keeping the private stuff out of the picture. On Facebook anything goes: things at work, things at home, relationship problems, gossip, and so forth. I have always believed that the less human face-to-face interaction the more isolated one becomes from real life, thus the loneliness I am referring to. At the end one is left with something that's not real, with makes it more difficult to cope with the realities of life.

I just find it extremely hard to expose everything about my life for all to see. That's why I mentioned "virtual reality" in one of my previous posts. A lot of the people in Facebook are living a virtual life, but in public.
The people you are looking at are the ones on YOUR list...perhaps you need to rethink those people that you consider friends?

And simply because you have some friends that "expose everything" on FB, it does not follow that everyone else does the same. Your experience might be a "virtual reality", but it certainly is not mine.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 PM

270 posts, read 488,368 times
I find it so funny how people who don't have Facebook are so anti-facebook without even trying it. And when they did try it and found it to be so completely awful, I have to wonder what their friends are like...my friends make me laugh at their jokes and witty comments, invite me to go out to parties, and share pictures of their families. Many of them I wouldn't be able to talk to because they aren't all local.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM

165 posts, read 323,167 times
I mean just less than 10 years ago... nobody had Facebook... so I wouldn't have a problem if a guy did not have one/

Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignutz View Post
Try again....

Don't expect to "Facebook friend" George Clooney anytime soon – one of the world's sexiest men would rather undergo an intrusive medical procedure than be your pal on the Internet.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page," Clooney, 48, quipped to reporters at the Toronto International Film Festival on Saturday.

And I know the other greats are dead but I know you got the point...
I don't know George Clooney or am I dying to FB friend him. Everyone on my FB page i know personally. That's his prerogative. My parents would probably say the same and he's old enough to be my father. As I said early my parents are also not on FB, lol...

And there are tons of great people on FB. As I tell the youngsters, you don't have to be famous to be great. There are some famous people on FB too. And I don't even think the people you named are that great. And why no one living under 40?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The people you are looking at are the ones on YOUR list...perhaps you need to rethink those people that you consider friends?

And simply because you have some friends that "expose everything" on FB, it does not follow that everyone else does the same. Your experience might be a "virtual reality", but it certainly is not mine.
Thank you!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Seriously, what the heck does having a fb account have to do with dating?

I use my fb account purely to keep in touch with friends and family, and connect with people I meet.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
I find it so funny how people who don't have Facebook are so anti-facebook without even trying it. And when they did try it and found it to be so completely awful, I have to wonder what their friends are like...my friends make me laugh at their jokes and witty comments, invite me to go out to parties, and share pictures of their families. Many of them I wouldn't be able to talk to because they aren't all local.
I agree!! Maybe it's their negative energy.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
In a year or so, Facebook will be old hat, just like MySpace. It's nothing but a passing fad and it will replaced by something else soon enough.

I couldn't care less whether anyone I know has a FB or not. In fact, I would think more of someone who doesn't have one. It would indicate to me they had a richer life than those who spend endless hours on FB. I understand people having them, but I've known some people whose real life is supplanted by their FB life.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Seriously, what the heck does having a fb account have to do with dating?

I use my fb account purely to keep in touch with friends and family, and connect with people I meet.
Potentially, alot!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 PM

178 posts, read 376,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
That's his prerogative.
True-er words have never been spoken. Like I said, I'm just looking to identify those stereotypes we need to to break through...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.