Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,640,992 times

Advertisements

A major difference between men and women is that a women could have the best personality all she wants and ooze charisma, if she is a bit overweight or unappealing to the eye, we stick her in the friends zone. Women though have an uncanny ability to look past looks and consider a guy by the way he carries himself. It's quite remarkable.

This is why guys are puzzled when they hear women say they find Russell Crowe to be hot, or Jude Law or even Daniel Craig. Not to mention an earlier thread I made that proved that women love country music stars.

So I just want to know, what is it about the mans-man that gets to women more so than primped up ones? Is there a pre-judgment about a nice looking well dressed guy that he is going to be conceited and arrogant?

Is it annoying to see guys try too hard to look good? Sometimes I get this impression that some women do get annoyed at that, like they're saying "be a man, for petes sake". laye

It's just fascinating to understand the complexities of what women like. It's deeply layered in comparison to what men want.

Describe the "real man". Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,228,989 times
What guys are puzzled that women love Jude Law? Are they blind? If I were a woman I'd be all over him like a bad rash .

And I disagree. There've been women who haven't been physically ideal, but oozed a sex appeal, personality, sense of humour even, that actually was a bit of a turn on for me. Granted, they were still decent looking (a bit overweight vs very obese), enough that the physical aspect was satisfied, but I actually have been turned on by a non-physical thing alone too.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,319,934 times
I prefer the primped ones actually.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,407,714 times
Women will also find the most obscure reasons why not to date a man like he doesnt have this job, has this car, lives in this location, has these hobbies that men will overlook as long as they are attracted to you.

It works both ways

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What guys are puzzled that women love Jude Law? Are they blind? If I were a woman I'd be all over him like a bad rash .

And I disagree. There've been women who haven't been physically ideal, but oozed a sex appeal, personality, sense of humour even, that actually was a bit of a turn on for me. Granted, they were still decent looking (a bit overweight vs very obese), enough that the physical aspect was satisfied, but I actually have been turned on by a non-physical thing alone too.
The guy is skinny and has a mad receding hairline. The only thing I think that's appealing about him is his character, personality and confidence.

Janeane Garafolo has a great personality, is funny and has appeal but is not attractive nor do I know many guys that would be all over her like a rash.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Women will also find the most obscure reasons why not to date a man like he doesnt have this job, has this car, lives in this location, has these hobbies that men will overlook as long as they are attracted to you.

It works both ways

They also consider security and stability when finding a mate.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,120,444 times
I can't speak for every woman, but I typically prefer a man that is a bit scruffy. Country music singers...yup...even if their features aren't "text book" attractive for a man, for me they just ooze sex appeal.

My husband was laying under his truck this weekend looking like a grease monkey. His hands were black, he had dirt on his face, hair was disheveled, 3 day growth on his face and he was in his work clothes. If we lived in a remote area I would have rolled that creeper out from underneath the truck and had my way with him.

I want my man to smell like a man, look like a man and act like a man (note, I didn't say a caveman...that is a turn-off). If he's prettier than me, we have a problem.

However, with that said, I also like a man that can clean up well and look good in a suit.

Edit: I should add that there are exceptions. If he isn't handy or isn't doing physical labor, don't go dressing like you do. That's a turn off as well. Some men don't wear the scruff look well, and when they try to they just look sloppy, not sexy. His personality will usually dictate his style. If he is true to himself that is just as appealing.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 AM

36,822 posts, read 31,102,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
A major difference between men and women is that a women could have the best personality all she wants and ooze charisma, if she is a bit overweight or unappealing to the eye, we stick her in the friends zone. Women though have an uncanny ability to look past looks and consider a guy by the way he carries himself. It's quite remarkable.

This is why guys are puzzled when they hear women say they find Russell Crowe to be hot, or Jude Law or even Daniel Craig. Not to mention an earlier thread I made that proved that women love country music stars.

So I just want to know, what is it about the mans-man that gets to women more so than primped up ones? Is there a pre-judgment about a nice looking well dressed guy that he is going to be conceited and arrogant?

Is it annoying to see guys try too hard to look good? Sometimes I get this impression that some women do get annoyed at that, like they're saying "be a man, for petes sake". laye

It's just fascinating to understand the complexities of what women like. It's deeply layered in comparison to what men want.

Describe the "real man". Thanks.

All the men I know are real. People are attracted to different things, people are turned off by different things. I do not love country music stars. You have proven nothing.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
All the men I know are real. People are attracted to different things, people are turned off by different things. I do not love country music stars. You have proven nothing.
i think I was referring to the particular women that have a set definition of a real man that usually does not meet up the Hollywood or textbook portrayal of handsome.

The poster above you described it pretty well actually, and just because you disagree doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Edit: I should add that there are exceptions. If he isn't handy or isn't doing physical labor, don't go dressing like you do. That's a turn off as well. Some men don't wear the scruff look well, and when they try to they just look sloppy, not sexy. His personality will usually dictate his style. If he is true to himself that is just as appealing.
Here in TX there are a lot of guys that drive the pick up and dress like they work at a feed store but they don't and live in the suburbs. It's just a style here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships