Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,103,361 times

Advertisements

My ideal...

Gerard Butler.

gerard butler, wet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,750,319 times
this is jeanne garofalo. She's not Mila Kunis, but what's wrong with her?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=janea...9,r:5,s:0,i:82

Janeane Garofalo - Zimbio

Old 05-10-2012, 01:03 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,288,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
A major difference between men and women is that a women could have the best personality all she wants and ooze charisma, if she is a bit overweight or unappealing to the eye, we stick her in the friends zone. Women though have an uncanny ability to look past looks and consider a guy by the way he carries himself. It's quite remarkable.

This is why guys are puzzled when they hear women say they find Russell Crowe to be hot, or Jude Law or even Daniel Craig. Not to mention an earlier thread I made that proved that women love country music stars.

So I just want to know, what is it about the mans-man that gets to women more so than primped up ones? Is there a pre-judgment about a nice looking well dressed guy that he is going to be conceited and arrogant?

Is it annoying to see guys try too hard to look good? Sometimes I get this impression that some women do get annoyed at that, like they're saying "be a man, for petes sake".

It's just fascinating to understand the complexities of what women like. It's deeply layered in comparison to what men want.

Describe the "real man". Thanks.
Your premise doesn't apply to me, though. I don't love country music stars. Indeed, I'm not into the whole Marlboro Man cowboy thing. To me, "rugged" translates into "forgot to use sunscreen." I'm an East Coaster and I came of age during the era of hair bands and glam. Men who use styling products are okay with me.

I also prefer a man who knows what clothes and colors look good on him, and takes care of himself and his looks. Not big on raggedy beards, weathered skin, a huge thatch of hair below the belt, or schlubby apparel such as flip-flops and tank tops. Sorry, no, don't need to see underarm hair at a restaurant, even if it's just Friday's. Keep it to the beach or pool, please.

I don't know what you mean by "man's man." The "man's men" that I know are well-groomed and comfortable in their skin, without being macho. They befriend other men, rather than inspire competition in them, so they get along with everyone. George Clooney would fit the description. He's well-groomed, but not afraid of getting dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I think Henry Rollins is all over her these days.
I'd like to think that's only because I'm taken.

Seriously, that man is HOT. And strangely enough, he has a strong feminine side, at least according to this, which scores him at 67% on the masculinity scale, and 73% on the femininity scale, in terms of how he sees himself--which is not how most other people see him:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddOeLCD-Iuo"]Henry Rollins Man Test Part 1[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FG509-sQ9U"]Henry Rollins Man Test Part 2[/URL]

Aside from him--beause he's got the classic male facial characteristics of strong brow and jaw--I've seen many studies and programs indicating that men and women deemed attractive are often those whose faces have some hint of the opposite sex.

Examples of men who fit this would be Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and my favorite, Henry Cavill. Leonardo DiCaprio would be an extreme example.

Examples of women who fit this would be Uma Thurman, Cameron Diaz, Demi Moore, and Cindy Crawford (many super models, actually, because quite often their jaws or noses are strong like men's).

Last edited by Yzette; 05-10-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,312,851 times
Im a sucker for a rocker....love me some Jared Leto (30 seconds to mars).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OGNDIejLnE...agazine_10.jpg

Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,884,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Im a sucker for a rocker....love me some Jared Leto (30 seconds to mars).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OGNDIejLnE...agazine_10.jpg
he's more of an actor than a singer no?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
he's more of an actor than a singer no?
You're not familiar with 30 seconds to mars? He's definitively more of a singer. They've had two hits off their album this year, if you're into the alt rock scene. I cant even remember the last recent film he was in. He also directs music videos.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,884,320 times
Quote:
You're not familiar with 30 seconds to mars? He's definitively more of a singer. They've had two hits off their album this year, if you're into the alt rock scene. I cant even remember the last recent film he was in.
I'm familiar...I think this may an age thing...im 37 so I remember him as being a heart throb in the 90s when he was on my so called life and some of the movies he did around that period

Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 PM

29,772 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
You're not familiar with 30 seconds to mars? He's definitively more of a singer. They've had two hits off their album this year, if you're into the alt rock scene. I cant even remember the last recent film he was in. He also directs music videos.
He'll always be Jordan Catalano to me.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
I'm familiar...I think this may an age thing...im 37 so I remember him as being a heart throb in the 90s when he was on my so called life and some of the movies he did around that period
Yea, he's a good 10+ years older than me but I remember him in the 90's as well. I just think he's my quintessential alt rocker. Plus he can still rock a skinny jean and a leather jacket!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,134,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
A major difference between men and women is that a women could have the best personality all she wants and ooze charisma, if she is a bit overweight or unappealing to the eye, we stick her in the friends zone. Women though have an uncanny ability to look past looks and consider a guy by the way he carries himself. It's quite remarkable.

This is why guys are puzzled when they hear women say they find Russell Crowe to be hot, or Jude Law or even Daniel Craig. Not to mention an earlier thread I made that proved that women love country music stars.

So I just want to know, what is it about the mans-man that gets to women more so than primped up ones? Is there a pre-judgment about a nice looking well dressed guy that he is going to be conceited and arrogant?

Is it annoying to see guys try too hard to look good? Sometimes I get this impression that some women do get annoyed at that, like they're saying "be a man, for petes sake". laye

It's just fascinating to understand the complexities of what women like. It's deeply layered in comparison to what men want.

Describe the "real man". Thanks.
I have not experienced this in my life.

If anything, the women I tend to know drool for the hottest guys. The guys I know seem pretty content with a cool laidback girl who 'aint bad looking'.

Think about it. When was the last time you heard a woman say, "I just want a guy who ain't too bad looking and is kinda cool."

I know some quite handsome men who are good friends with me and most married women that weren't knockouts. In fact, other women have commented to me about how they are surprised Joe, Bob, and Andy married so and so when they thought he would marry a really hot woman.

Checking my Facebook, if anything the men have sacrificed looks and status more for personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships