Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:15 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
You're welcome

I don't think there are particular words he used but rather the way he wrote the profile. It seems very rigid and almost "professional" like a resume. I didn't get that cool/casual/laidback vibe from him.

I noticed somethiing here too. Sounds like perfect English for the most part then there are a few sentances that sound like broken english.... Seeping vine and he went from Life music to live music. calims to be 100 percent Russian American then states he is from St. Petersburg Russia. IDK

To the other Poster asking about which words to look for in a profile that sends out red flags are, I am not a Player, I am honest, I don't like games. Or any mentioning of baggage or a former partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 PM

331 posts, read 603,677 times
I'd say it's worth meeting him if you share some of the same likings, it may sound a bit rigid, but maybe that is part of his culture or from being a police officer....if nothing else it'd be another person met and a good conversation and hopefully a good time. Nothing wrong with giving it a try...in a public place for a few hours!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
You're welcome

I don't think there are particular words he used but rather the way he wrote the profile. It seems very rigid and almost "professional" like a resume. I didn't get that cool/casual/laidback vibe from him.
If they can manage to be funny, then I think they are cool profiles. Otherwise, those that tend to be cool/casual/laidback scream lack of commitment to me. They seem rather superficial where as this guy has a good blend of bio and interests that I would appreciate.

As for being 100% Russian American but from St. Petersburg that makes sense to me especially if he has become a police officer. I know many police departments require you to be a citizen (maybe all?), so he may have married an American citizen, got his citizenship, and became a police officer.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,867 times
When I had an active account on POF, I got an email from a guy who self-identified himself as a member of the Army Special Forces. He said that he was currently deployed so he wouldn't be able to meet anytime soon. I thought, okay, that's realistic because I live near Ft. Lewis. But, I didn't tell him initially that my father is retired military and that nearly all of my uncles (6 out of 7) served. I was born in a military hospital, went to school on base, lived on base, had a dependent ID through college, etc.

So, he starts sharing all of these details about "Alpha Male" personalities (which is a label that always makes me laugh - why would you go around calling themselves that?) and how he had trashed his car on I-5. These "details" didn't make sense and then he started talking about military life, and I knew that I had myself a scammer. There was no way this guy had ever served, clandestine or otherwise.

So, I get your hesitance OP. There are people out there who want to pull the wool over your eyes, but I think this guy is legit.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,770 times
Not a bad profile at all, but don't you know that if someone says "I don't want any drama", it means that person is full of drama and/or has chip on his/her shoulder ? At least that's what I've heard.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Not a bad profile at all, but don't you know that if someone says "I don't want any drama", it means that person is full of drama and/or has chip on his/her shoulder ? At least that's what I've heard.
very good point and like a writer said if they say they are not players most likely they are.... thank you for your response.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
When I had an active account on POF, I got an email from a guy who self-identified himself as a member of the Army Special Forces. He said that he was currently deployed so he wouldn't be able to meet anytime soon. I thought, okay, that's realistic because I live near Ft. Lewis. But, I didn't tell him initially that my father is retired military and that nearly all of my uncles (6 out of 7) served. I was born in a military hospital, went to school on base, lived on base, had a dependent ID through college, etc.

So, he starts sharing all of these details about "Alpha Male" personalities (which is a label that always makes me laugh - why would you go around calling themselves that?) and how he had trashed his car on I-5. These "details" didn't make sense and then he started talking about military life, and I knew that I had myself a scammer. There was no way this guy had ever served, clandestine or otherwise.

So, I get your hesitance OP. There are people out there who want to pull the wool over your eyes, but I think this guy is legit.
thank you for your response. I meant that he said he was FULL BLOOD Rusian American but was born in ST Pets Russia...... I think what he sould have said was he was Full Blood Russian and now a Legal Citizen in America. A full blood american is a person born here. to American parents I would think. lol but no biggie.

thanks for your input

Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
This guy wants to date me.......he is VERY VERY good looking but. I am new to online dating sites and want to get some advise of what you think of his profile . This would be one of the first guys that I may meet........but I just feel unsure and like to know what is he really saying. thank you for your help.

btw.. he is divorced and has one child and 40 yrs old

One Thing I can promise for sure is honesty. Honesty about everything

Hello, I start with a little story about “what” I am and then will describe “who” I am. I am a full blooded Russian American. Moved to the US in 1994, all of my family is still in Russia in Saint Petersburg. In Russia I graduated from a university with degree in physics and have not used this degree once. Here in the US I studied Criminal Justice and have a BS in Criminal Justice Management. I have been a police officer for almost 12 years and still love it! It’s a best job in the world and sometimes I can’t believe I am getting paid to do what I do. However…. rarely there are moments when you have doubts in human race and human decency based on things that people do, but likely those moments are rare.

Now about “who” I am. I am definitely an open minded person with diverse personality. I can be tough when I need to be (kind of comes with being a police officer), but I am easy going most of the time. I am a big fan of life music and romantic evenings. I am a pretty good piano player (my mom is a piano teacher so I started playing since I was a little kid). I have great time traveling, enjoy bay area’s ocean or sierra areas, but can be totally fine sitting home seeping vine and watching movies. I am not really into clubbing, but greatly appreciate a night out with live music, delicious dinner, good wine, and most important, interesting company.

I am not a player and I HATE games, intrigues, manipulations, lies and most of all dramas! I have never used drugs and stay away from people who use them. I am open minded realist. I understand that it is impossible (if you are a real person and not a complete dork) not to have some relationship baggage when you are over 30 and it is fine. The way you deal with it makes all the difference.
I didn't care for that assessment but then again I wouldn't.

For YOU though he doesn't sound that bad at all. I do agree with strawberry, they have crazy egos.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
I wouldn't date a cop, but I would date this guy! I can tell he wrote the profile himself, because it has grammar errors that reflect Russian grammar. I haven't read a lot of online profiles, but this one comes across genuine, and "Russian" in character, to me, a good thing. (I grew up in the Bay Area Russian community myself, if you don't want this guy, tell me where I can find his profile! )

If you have doubts, email him awhile. You'll be able to tell better by his email answers whether his profile was genuine, or a professional job. The emails will be more spontaneous. This may be his first sortie into online dating, so maybe he worked hard to really polish his profile, and got feedback from friends. That's a valid thing to do. I feel a good deal of genuineness, authenticity shining through, though.

Stays away from people who use drugs. Well, as a cop, he'd be required to.

I say, explore further by email. If you need further guidance then, get back to us.

P.S. St. Petersburg is gorgeous!
Yeah, "full blooded Russian" American (meaning: all Russian, no mix of other nationalities in Russia, + American citizen) is a little odd, but no red flag. He's a physicist, so you know he's smart and highly educated. He prefers live concerts to clubbing, so he's a high-end Russian, meaning one who prefered the symphony to those cheesy Russian discotheques when he was living there. These are good signs. The only way to know if it's for real is to get to know him more via email.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-11-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wouldn't date a cop, but I would date this guy! I can tell he wrote the profile himself, because it has grammar errors that reflect Russian grammar. I haven't read a lot of online profiles, but this one comes across genuine, and "Russian", to me, a good thing. (I grew up in the Bay Area Russian community myself, if you don't want this guy, tell me where I can find his profile! )

If you have doubts, email him awhile. You'll be able to tell better by his email answers whether his profile was genuine, or a professional job. The emails will be more spontaneous. This may be his first sortie into online dating, so maybe he worked hard to really polish his profile, and got feedback from friends. That's a valid thing to do. I feel a good deal of genuineness, authenticity shining through, though.

Stays away from people who use drugs. Well, as a cop, he'd be required to.

I say, explore further by email. If you need further guidance then, get back to us.

P.S. St. Petersburg is gorgeous!

when I emailed him, his response and writing style was differernt and that made me think that someone wrote his profile. which is fine with me because they do have services for you to have someon write your profile for a dating site or even a resume.

He lives in N. NV and stated that he is looking for someone no more then 20 miles from Reno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships