Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM

19,762 posts, read 20,330,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post

All in all, it comes down to: Why do people trash their ex's? Because they are seeking validation and/or attention.
Completely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM

17 posts, read 18,502 times
It strikes me that people might do something like this in an effort to punish the other person, i.e., you rejected and hurt him so now he's going to try to bad-mouth and hurt you. It could also be a case where he's subconsciously trying to convince himself that he doesn't still want you by making you sound bad to others. That last may be a little less likely, but not impossible.

At any rate, the fact that you had the strength and desire to leave and did so with a clean break says good things for you. As others have said, ignore him and move on with your life, which you are already probably doing. If the people whom he's trying to negatively influence don't already know that he's an angry, vengeful jerk, chances are they will soon, although I don't recall that you mentioned any problems with that.

Finally, given that I can't imagine that it was easy to leave even if there were problems, I'd probably be somewhat pleased and relieved to have that decision ever further validated by his deplorable behavior.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,839,253 times
Thank you all for your responses. As I see, there could be multiple reasons the ex has been bashing me. Who knows? The most important thing is the most popular opinion is to do and say nothing to him or anyone else. This is what I have been doing up until this point and I suppose I will continue. Thank you all for your time and honest opinions. I will continue moving on and hopefully in time when he sees me giving this no attention, he will stop with the badmouthing me in public and on social media sites. Thanks again all!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,418,107 times
I trash women I've dated who were biotches. I don't trash women I've dated who are nice people, but with whom the chemistry wasn't what it could have been.

I think women should trash/not trash because of how the situation went down.

This mirrors the fact that there are both good people and bad people in this world. Is this news?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:36 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,839,253 times
Just rereading this thread, including my post and answers makes me just not even care anymore. The whole situation is ridiculous and I refuse to entertain it for one more second. This is just an absolute ridiculous situation that I am just too far above. It literally hurts my brain to even try to lower my thinking to understand the many reasons he could be doing this. This is what he wants. NEXT SUBJECT

Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,124,368 times
I see someone trashing their ex as a huge red flag. My ex husband cheated on me and did really really awful things to me, but I try to keep the trash talk to a minimum. When I'm dating someone new I give the briefest explanation possible. I think it looks really classless and trashy to trash an ex except in private with close friends/family. Then, I trash away!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,418,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I see someone trashing their ex as a huge red flag. My ex husband cheated on me and did really really awful things to me, but I try to keep the trash talk to a minimum. When I'm dating someone new I give the briefest explanation possible. I think it looks really classless and trashy to trash an ex except in private with close friends/family. Then, I trash away!
I should qualify what I said by adding that most people trash them to their friends, and NOT subsequent potential dates/mates.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM

884 posts, read 1,407,826 times
When asked about my ex, I don't trash, I just tell the truth of what she did. I'll generally say it didn't work out but if pressed about what happened, then I will open up. I don't like to talk about it because its in the past and over and done with. I hate rehashing that time.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,739,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
He's hurt and still has feelings for you. It's ego. Do not contact him. He'd love nothing more than to get a reaction. Over is over. If you are done , say nothing. Shrug it off. He is immature.
Look up. Read. This is about the best way to go about this. His ego wants the satisfaction of getting a rise out of you. That doesn't mean he will stop the harrassment. To get more attention, he would probably escalate what he is doing after you contact him. In Skinnerian Psychology terms, the RAT pushed the lever and got a pellet, and he likes pellets, so I know you can figure out what he is going to do.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,884,320 times
I think the City Data mods should create a sub-forum for gender generalizations, that way I can avoid threads like this!!

Yes all men trash their ex gf/wives..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships