Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and dated a guy who was 37 for a while... age doesn't matter all that much, it's more about maturity and where he is in life. The 37 year old I dated grew pot for a living, spent most of his days skateboarding and thought it was funny to video himself farting and send it to his nephews. So yeah, not exactly mature.

However, the 25 year old I'm currently dating has his stuff together, is working towards a goal, is well spoken and very intelligent. Hes far more attractive to me than the 37 year old ever was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,660,013 times
I go 10 years + or -

Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 PM

31,125 posts, read 22,161,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I'm 32, almost 33. I won't go any higher than 45 and no lower than 28.
Thats about normal, as a man I have a similar range but reversed and it is only loose. If I met a great woman who was out of my range I definately wouldn't say no. Like Miu I dated up 20 years older when I was 30. The only thing that was odd to me was her ex was 20 years older than her.

What's interesting is when you go to some countries outside of the US many women have an extreme upper limit for men. They don't seem to have age bias that we have.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I assume you meant you are dating someone 23 years "younger" than you? So, you are not willing to date someone even ten years older than yourself due to the fear of becoming a "caretaker" for someone else -- but its perfectly fine for *you* to date someone who is 23 years younger than yourself who will be in the same position in potentially 10-15 years?
Thats what I was thinking?

Old 05-22-2012, 04:28 PM

17 posts, read 18,495 times
I don't have a set demographic demographic range and I think establishing one as a hard guideline is, for me, fairly meaningless and perhaps even shallow in general. I also hate expectations of how anyone "should" act because they are a certain age. Yes, that is related.

I want to be with someone because we have similar views about life, compatible ideas about having fun, and can enjoying sharing both that which we have in common and that which we see differently. And most of all because I enjoy their company. That's rare enough to find in the first place without making arbitrary demographic requirements that don't necessarily have any bearing on the above.

In practice, when I was younger, I tended to be attracted to men that were slightly older than I was for the most part. Now, it's usually, but not always, that the men are a few years younger. This is largely because I don't think that being an adult/being mature means that one has to be overly serious or stuffy just because. There are times to be serious, but there should also be times to have fun. Ruling anything out just because "it's not done at the age of <x>" or even having that attitude is a definite deal-breaker.

Up until this point in my life, I think the men I have been attracted to or dated have all been within five years of my own age, albeit the range seems to be greater for younger men. I think the oldest man I ever dated was three years older than me. I neither need nor wish for a man to provide wisdom, maturity, or anything else in the sense of giving me something I supposedly lack. I can take care of myself just fine.

Currently, the man to whom I am attracted is eleven years younger than I am. That was nothing I was looking for, though, it just happened. That, however, would be another post.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM

819 posts, read 1,130,908 times
Oh this thread again...I've heard plenty of girls say they wouldn't date a guy "more than 5 years older than them", only to go out with me anyway. Never had any problem dating girls 10-15 years younger than me, and they never had a problem with it, either. All that nonsense is just a bunch of noise single women in their 30s perpetrate because successful, attractive guys their age don't want anything to do with them. Sorry, I'm not interested in your ex-husbands, children, or endless baggage.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I'm 38. I tend to like women in their 20's. I'll probably like this demographic until I die.

How big of a age gap is acceptable for you?
I'd probably put you in the "creep" category.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,993,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I'm 38. I tend to like women in their 20's. I'll probably like this demographic until I die.
Its the best demographic of them all in terms of pure sex appeal.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd probably put you in the "creep" category.
And how about the women posting here that are saying they are dating 10 to 20+ years younger

Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,747,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
And how about the women posting here that are saying they are dating 10 to 20+ years younger

That may be true but I don't remember seeing them talking incessantly about how 'unsexy' 'downhill' and 'past their prime' those older men are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships