Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 12:03 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
In America, it's kind of hard to find women over 25 who have no kids and no major debt.
And you base this on what? Your circle of friends and the 2 magazines you read every month ?? one could say the same about men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Truth be told, you two could be having mediocre sex but because you haven't had sex with anybody else you would not even realize it.

I'm not trying to disturb your peace but I'm just pointing that out.
What is mediocre sex exactly ? If the guy can't even get it up, then it's ZERO sex which would be terrible, and probably not a factor that would have led to the marriage in the first place...and why would they even care whether the sex is bad or good as long as both of them enjoy doing it with each other???

Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
This is absolutely ridiculous. Viewed as creepy for NOT ever getting married? What about women who never get married? Are they creepy too?

Wow, is that how bad you want us to marry you? You give us derogatory names and vilify us simply because we don't want to move in with you and pay your bills for life. Unbelievable.

Again, this is absolutely ridiculous! Like I NEED your (or any other woman's) approval to be worth something. And not only that, but as men get older our values INCREASES over time.

Nope, you interpreted my post too narrowly. It's weird or creepy if a guy is 40/50 years old, and has ALWAYS wanted to get married (at some point) but for whatever reason (poor relationship choices, career placed a higher priority), that same man has had nothing but rejection after rejection his entire LIFE in the dating world. A perfect example: Steve Carrell in the "40 Year Old Virgin". Most women would not have the patience or maturity to date a man who rides a bike to work, still plays with GI Joe, and never had sex. Do I think it's sad that women eliminate such men right away without digging deeper on the "why" of it?? Maybe. But the fact remains that put a 55 year old at a bar, and a 28 year old woman in a conversation with him asking him "were you ever engaged or married" and the guy says "nah, never met the right girl..yet"- her brain will go off in a million red flags

And I am sure men who meet a 40 or 50 something woman who never got engaged or married (and admitted to harboring such desires) met a man at a Singles bar who said this, a guy would secretly wonder "Uhm. Ok...if she is such a great catch as she claims she is, how come she's still single at 48."

And I agree with you on the last part- men do age like fine wine, but the fact is...you crave your girlfriends or wife's approval too..even if you don't want to admit it...it's ok...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 AM

460 posts, read 672,243 times
Quote:
Truth be told, you two could be having mediocre sex but because you haven't had sex with anybody else you would not even realize it.

I'm not trying to disturb your peace but I'm just pointing that out.

Um? Who cares if it's mediocre sex by YOUR standard when it's amazing by MY standard and HIS standard? Doesn't really seem to matter much does it?

In fact, like I said, if I think mediocre sex is amazing because I know no different and get to experience it with a man that treats me superbly well, then I think it's a win-win. It's better than having to settle for a guy that treats me just OK but is great in bed. It's also better than the alternative of being with the amazing guy and always thinking the sex is just so-so.

My point is that you just made my point. Thank you!

Old 06-03-2012, 01:17 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,859,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
Can someone please explain this insanity?
One thing that is poorly defined in this thread is: "What is success?"

I suspect that a lot of women here would define a guy who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, never accomplished anything serious and then was parachuted into a plum position in daddy's company, as a success.

In contrast, a poor guy who struggled to get a good education, started at the bottom and worked his way up would have been considered a failure - until he grabbed the gold ring. Of course, nobody would note whether he married young (very unlikely) or not.

There is a problem that many wealthy parents have with their sons. They are overwhelmed with the attention of pretty gold diggers and will often be tempted to marry very young. The parents are often at their wit's end to dissuade them from this. Many therefore marry young, marry a little older, marry in their middle age (twice) and marry again later. Sounds like "success" to me!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:31 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
As Chris Rock once said in one of his comedy sketches, "You're not SUPPOSED TO HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD YOU DUMB-#%%!!"
LOL... yeah, that is a good bit he does....

I was thinking more about the college part......

Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM

566 posts, read 958,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
As Chris Rock once said in one of his comedy sketches, "You're not SUPPOSED TO HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD YOU DUMB-#%%!!"
In all fairness, making it to 25 without a criminal record should be commended as all it takes is a single young and dumb mistake to end up with one. It should be even more commended if one grew up in a high crime/high proverty environment.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:44 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
In all fairness, making it to 25 without a criminal record should be commended as all it takes is one young and dumb mistake. It should be even more commended if one grew up in a high crime/high proverty area.
I never made it without a criminal record.

Nothing serious though.....

Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,738,038 times
Quote:
I can sort of understand why average guys get married in their 20s and 30s, but why do so many guys who are or will likely be highly successful (top law school students, med students, Wall Street guys, successful entrepreneurs, etc) marry in their 20s and 30s?

I understand if a guy wants to start a family one day, but wouldn't it be better to finish school, start making some serious money (6 figures), enjoy the bachelor life while making 6 figures for a good 10 years, THEN look to settle down around 40 to a woman who is around the age of 30? I'm just wondering because I know so many guys who worked very hard to put themselves in a great financial position, but got married/engaged prior to making excellent money and pretty much missed out on everything that comes with being a highly successful, single guy. I just don't understand why so many guys do this to themselves.

Can someone please explain this insanity?
how stupid is this. so only cab drivers and the like should get married young? Because the young ones who are set to make lots of money should live some sex filled bachelor life until their older (and going downhill) and then try and find a younger wife? LOL. Can't say I'm surprised by this mentality, what else is new?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:58 PM

566 posts, read 958,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
how stupid is this. so only cab drivers and the like should get married young? Because the young ones who are set to make lots of money should live some sex filled bachelor life until their older (and going downhill) and then try and find a younger wife? LOL. Can't say I'm surprised by this mentality, what else is new?
Nothing stupid about it. The difference between highly successful guys and your average cab driver is that the cab driver usually won't have the same amount of dating options that the highly successful professional guy will have (unless he's incredibly good looking). Because of that, it makes sense for the cab driver to find the best woman he can find and settle down once he's found her. However, guys who are highly successful should totally max out on the fact that they are highly successful and milk it for all it's worth (are you aware of how many beautiful, exotic women are out here??)

For some reason, I just view it as a total waste if a guy is highly successful, makes a lot of money or is on the verge of making a lot, but then gets married. However, I'm the same guy who gets bored of sleeping with the same woman after 4-5 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships