Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
The OP assumption is on its basic principle incorrect. He imagines that the greatest goal is to sleep with lots of women?? Many men have higher goals in their life than to be a player and user, trying to get as many women in the sack as possible before they die. Many men decide they've had enough of dating, they meet a fine woman who they want to settle down with and spend their lives with. They look forward to and enjoy the idea of family, children, home, a happy marriage. Yes, many fail to achieve this but a very large number are also quite successful with it. I know many of them. They wouldn't have it any other way, and have a life, a wife and children they wouldn't trade for all the money and "hotties" in the world.
No guy wants to be "that guy" in the corner of the club that is 20 years older than everyone else in there. Most guys get that out of the way early on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Wow

Why would you want to prevent it?
B/C I don't want any CHANCE of a disruption in my plans to have as much fun as humanly possible.

Quote:
I don't understand what this means. A good relationship doesn't require you to change. What if you met a girl who wants to travel the world with you?
With my luck she'll want to do something I ain't trying to do like having kids.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
B/C I don't want any CHANCE of a disruption in my plans to have as much fun as humanly possible.

Congrats on your graduation. Regarding women, providing you want to date, as long as you choose women who have ambition and goals there shouldn't be much of an issue IRT wanting children in her early-mid 20s.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM

460 posts, read 671,915 times
Quote:

The bigger question is why you consider sex to be the end-all be-all to your life. Why do you let sex control any aspect of your life (i.e. whether to marry and what age) to this degree? You seem blindly unaware that you are fervently following fertile young women around like a simple dog in heat.

Sex makes up like 1% of your life, why make its priority number 1? Socrates was relieved when he lost his sex drive because then he could focus on more important things.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,860 times
One thing that seems flawed to me in the OP(and I've seen a similar line of reasoning in some other threads), is that OP assumes once he is 40, there will be a large pool of women(much younger) that will be interested in dating him.

I'm not saying there aren't women aren't there...I just don't in real life see that many women wanting to date someone 10 years older...even if he is fabulously successful.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:54 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No guy wants to be "that guy" in the corner of the club that is 20 years older than everyone else in there. Most guys get that out of the way early on.
In all fairness, while that may be the case if one lives in a small town, that's not the case in major US cities. There are bars/lounges that cater to almost every age group you can think of so guys won't be the "much older guy" in the corner at bars/lounges unless he chooses to go to bars/lounges that attract and are meant for people in their 20s and not the 30s/40s/50s crowd.

Last edited by bicoastal10; 05-30-2012 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
One thing that seems flawed to me in the OP(and I've seen a similar line of reasoning in some other threads), is that OP assumes once he is 40, there will be a large pool of women(much younger) that will be interested in dating him.

I'm not saying there aren't women aren't there...I just don't in real life see that many women wanting to date someone 10 years older...even if he is fabulously successful.
I'm not sure if that's true. If you go on most of these online dating sites, you'll notice that about 1/3 or 1/4 of the women are open to dating someone 10 years older than them. Moreover, I'd imagine that 10 years isn't as big of deal when you're 40 and the woman is 30; as opposed to when you're 30 and the woman is 20. Also, if a guy really feels the need to get married, and he's successful, he can always go overseas and have his pick of highly attractive women to marry (for example, a successful, in shape 40 year old could go to one of the Asian/Latin countries and find a stunning 25-30 year old very easily).

Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
The bigger question is why you consider sex to be the end-all be-all to your life. Why do you let sex control any aspect of your life (i.e. whether to marry and what age) to this degree? You seem blindly unaware that you are fervently following fertile young women around like a simple dog in heat.

Sex makes up like 1% of your life, why make its priority number 1? Socrates was relieved when he lost his sex drive because then he could focus on more important things.
Wait. Where did I say my "fun" included sex?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I can sort of understand why average guys get married in their 20s and 30s, but why do so many guys who are or will likely be highly successful (top law school students, med students, Wall Street guys, successful entrepreneurs, etc) marry in their 20s and 30s?

I understand if a guy wants to start a family one day, but wouldn't it be better to finish school, start making some serious money (6 figures), enjoy the bachelor life while making 6 figures for a good 10 years, THEN look to settle down around 40 to a woman who is around the age of 30? I'm just wondering because I know so many guys who worked very hard to put themselves in a great financial position, but got married/engaged prior to making excellent money and pretty much missed out on everything that comes with being a highly successful, single guy. I just don't understand why so many guys do this to themselves.

Can someone please explain this insanity?
maybe because they were mature enough for marriage? Why should they postpone a good thing? You sound like you don't think marriage is a good thing. Not everyone wants to spend 20 years having meaningless sex with anonymous women and risking STD's.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM

460 posts, read 671,915 times
Quote:
Wait. Where did I say my "fun" included sex?
Well....It was implied throughout this thread.

And what kind of fun can you not have with a loving companion by your side? My husband and I dated for years and had all sorts of fun together. We travelled together, ate out together, went to bars and clubs together. We were just like all of my single friends except the having sex with randoms part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships