Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times

Advertisements

I didn't get married until age 34. In the meantime, I focused and excelled in school, in my career, became financially secure and totally debt free... all of which are blessings.

Yet my wife, and my daughter are far greater and bring me far more lasting joy than anything my career has brought me.

I am content with how my life has unfolded, but if I was given the option to trade some of the career success, the financial security, the "single life" for 10 more years with my wife, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
It's better for women to start in their 20s, but I don't see the need for men to start early. I can understand not wanting to wait too long though.
I think the idea is that younger dads have more energy to parent. 50+ year-old fathers may not be as likely to want to coach T-ball or go camping or get down on the floor and play games.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 05-30-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I didn't get married until age 34. In the meantime, I focused and excelled in school, in my career, became financially secure and totally debt free... all of which are blessings.

Yet my wife, and my daughter are far greater and bring me far more lasting joy than anything my career has brought me.

I am content with how my life has unfolded, but if I was given the option to trade some of the career success, the financial security, the "single life" for 10 more years with my wife, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Your wife is fortunate to have you.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think the idea is that younger dads have more energy to parent. 50+ year-old fathers may not be as likely to want to coach T-ball or go camping.

My dad did this role just fine. They didn't have kids till she was 30 and he was 40. So he was in his 50s when that time came around. Guess thats what being in the military can do for you! LOL
He is in his mid 70s and everyone things he is in his 50s.

Thanks dad for your awesome genetics and slice of peace of mind to wait till its the right time!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
Why? What's so great about starting a family in your 20s?
Do you want to be a 50 or 60something year old trying to keep up with your teenage kids? Do you want to die before seeing your grandchildren?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
My dad did this role just fine. They didn't have kids till she was 30 and he was 40. So he was in his 50s when that time came around. Guess thats what being in the military can do for you! LOL
He is in his mid 70s and everyone things he is in his 50s.

Thanks dad for your awesome genetics and slice of peace of mind to wait till its the right time!
My dad had me at 47........and was dead six weeks later.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I can sort of understand why average guys get married in their 20s and 30s, but why do so many guys who are or will likely be highly successful (top law school students, med students, Wall Street guys, successful entrepreneurs, etc) marry in their 20s and 30s?

I understand if a guy wants to start a family one day, but wouldn't it be better to finish school, start making some serious money (6 figures), enjoy the bachelor life while making 6 figures for a good 10 years, THEN look to settle down around 40 to a woman who is around the age of 30? I'm just wondering because I know so many guys who worked very hard to put themselves in a great financial position, but got married/engaged prior to making excellent money and pretty much missed out on everything that comes with being a highly successful, single guy. I just don't understand why so many guys do this to themselves.

Can someone please explain this insanity?
Insanity? There are a lot of assumptions in your post.

Have you read any of the threads on here about people who put their education and career first, have little dating experience and are struggling to find a partner because they "left it too late"? If, apart from a good job, you want to be married and have kids, waiting until your 40s to do it is a lousy idea. You're also assuming that a younger woman will want an older man, that he's going to find someone compatible and in the right age range for having children.

It's hard enough to find a partner in life that you're compatible with, let alone throwing extra restrictions about jobs, finances, "success" into the mix as well. And you assume that people are missing out on something by marrying in their 20s and 30s. IMO, I wouldn't recommend people getting married before 25, so they have that chance to "whoop it up" and also reach a stage of maturity that they're ready for careers/spouses/children.

It's not at all insane, and actually quite the norm, to be married and/or start a family in your 20s and 30s. There's nothing wrong with being 40 and not having done that yet, but it's certainly not the norm. The assumption that those marrying younger (and 30s is not young for marriage) means these people aren't happy...that is ridiculous. Happiness comes in all shapes and forms, at all ages and stages.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Because perhaps they met women who knocked their socks off and they wanted to settle down and start a family. Marriage isn't for everyone, obviously, but it's just odd to me that some of you interweb dudes can't fathom that not all guys want to play the field, or that they really enjoy the company of their girlfriends and wives. They're not miserable in relationships.
Agreed. Some women aren't interested in marrying a man who has been partying for 20 years or one who is 10 years older. It works for others, though ... it takes all types, I guess.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
My dad had me at 47........and was dead six weeks later.

Sorry that happened to your family.♥

One can go at any age.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 AM

566 posts, read 958,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Do you want to be a 50 or 60something year old trying to keep up with your teenage kids? Do you want to die before seeing your grandchildren?
I don't care much about being around to see grandkids. I plan on having a kid at some point in life, but it's just not high on the "to do" list these days.

I'm fine with having a teenage son/daughter (I don't want more than 1 kid) in my 50s. My parents were in their 50s when I was a teenager and everything was perfectly fine; there was never a fatigue or keeping up problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships