Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,051,798 times

Advertisements

If you are in a relationship with a man who cannot control himself, I totally agree. Then again, I'd advise someone in such a relationship to flee but that's a separate issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,616,464 times
No it is not ever acceptable. If you hit me, be prepared to get a left hook in return and a kick in the groin.

And then the cops at your door to arrest you for assault. Luckily, I've never had a man hit me, the closest was one guy pushed my shoulders to the wall. I warned him if he ever touched me again, it would be the last time he was a free man. (My brothers and father are all cops, most guys knew better than to even think about touching me).

I do have a friend however that was has been abused, and she admitted that she had a temper and a tendency to push a man's buttons and dare him to hit her. I don't think fanning the flames is any more acceptable than hitting someone either. Both are in the wrong. Staying with someone after they hit you or accepting their apology is the same as saying it's ok to do so. It's never ok to hit your significant other. (Yes there are women who hit men too).

Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
First when he was on the Grammy's and then the other night when he was on TV tons of young women went on twitter to say that R&B singer (and known woman beater) Chris Brown is so sexy that they want to be beaten by him,

I find this very disturbing, especially because I have a hunch this is an expression of major changes taking place in our culture....that a man being what women consider "sexy" trumps everything else including if he is violent towards women.

I see this as a generational shift in values. Baby boomer women wouldn't have thought this way. In fact I would guess they (as a group) would be the most outraged at the idea of women saying they want to be beaten by a man while I would guess many younger women can "feel" and relate to the women saying they want Chris Brown to beat them to a pulp.

So what do you think? Are the women who say they want Chris Brown to beat them a crazy, small minority that don't represent women as a whole? Or are they representitive of a wider trend of women who accept abusive males as long as they are "sexy".
I think it's a fringe phenomenon, and I think those groupies don't know what they're talking about. Overall, I think women are now less tolerant of abuse, now that the legal system supports them by granting restraining orders, and there's a system of shelters for extreme cases. The whole way society views and deals with abuse has changed for the better. This "trend" you cite is, imo, a fringe "groupie" phenom.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,808,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
It's never ok to hit your significant other. (Yes there are women who hit men too).
This is the point that needs to be emphasized. Gender doesn't matter here... still wrong no matter what.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:52 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,224,122 times
Quote:
First when he was on the Grammy's and then the other night when he was on TV tons of young women went on twitter to say that R&B singer (and known woman beater) Chris Brown is so sexy that they want to be beaten by him,

I find this very disturbing, especially because I have a hunch this is an expression of major changes taking place in our culture....that a man being what women consider "sexy" trumps everything else including if he is violent towards women.

I see this as a generational shift in values. Baby boomer women wouldn't have thought this way. In fact I would guess they (as a group) would be the most outraged at the idea of women saying they want to be beaten by a man while I would guess many younger women can "feel" and relate to the women saying they want Chris Brown to beat them to a pulp.

So what do you think? Are the women who say they want Chris Brown to beat them a crazy, small minority that don't represent women as a whole? Or are they representitive of a wider trend of women who accept abusive males as long as they are "sexy".
I don't think the demographic of women that like Chris Brown represent women at large, or the majority of American women. I could be wrong, but I need to know who these women are first. Do you have a link to these comments?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think most "men" that would slap around a woman are the same so called men that are cowards when it comes to fighting another male. Having said that, I would like to caution you ladies that just because you find out which buttons to push that makes your man angry, doesnt mean you need to keep pushing them. I've seen some women push and push and push those buttons until he finally has enough and backhands her. You ladies cant have it both ways. Yes. It is better if he just walks away. But sometimes you ladies can be some real b*tches.
You ladies, you b*tches? As in women on this forum that you don't know? Or, as in women you do know like your mother, sister, wife, cousin, etc? If you have something to say, then say it to them. Say it to the women in your life who likely deserve it given the crap you are saying.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 06-20-2012 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Sometimes not getting hurt takes precedence over being in the right. If a guy picks a fight with me and I hit back and then he pulls out a gun, being in the right is not worth being dead over.
Well stated and I agree. You never know. Well, at least you never know when it comes to strangers. We absolutely know when it comes to our partners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Yes I think so. When I was growing up there was a book called Men Who Hate Women and The Women Who Love Them.
Amazon.com: Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them : When Loving Hurts and You Don't Know Why (9780553381412): Susan Forward, Joan Torres: Books

You don't hear as much about this nowadays.

I think the feminist movement has also made it worse with the constant pressure on women to compete, be strong, succeed, be happy, "have it all" etc. Women are more involved with men as part of this equation than ever and the fact is, a lot of men don't like women.
Equality has made what worse, exactly? In a civilized society it doesn't matter if some guy doesn't like women. It doesn't matter if some guy doesn't like anybody. If he's uncivilized his rights will be revoked and he will be contained. Period.

Quote:
I also think learned helplessness due to the crappy diet Americans are instructed to eat, one that is high in vegetables and grains and low in saturated fat, has something to do with it. Women aren't balanced or healthy on this diet & are also dieting more than ever mostly to please men who think everyone should look like a supermodel when that really isn't natural or even healthy. God forbid that you would be "average" rather than a constantly happy real housewife who "has it all". Even those *****es seem unhappy.
I'm not following again. What's the issue with veggies? Whole foods are good. Processed foods are bad. The choices we make are pretty simple to figure.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,163,193 times
Default Its all wrong..

Nothing wrong with arguing, It's a natural part of human relationships. But when the living room becomes an MMA event it's just wrong. Women sometimes hit men too. Sometimes booze is involved, sometimes not.

at the most, I suggest getting some cheap china and harmlessly flinging that around and then making up on the dining room table after. That's the jist!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,600,804 times
Quote:

A lot of women stay with these men because they "love" them or they often have such a negative image of themselves that they dont deserve better

Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
If anything over the decades, women are less so. A century ago, nobody thought it really remarkable if a husband occasionally clocked his wife. Today? The other guys in the neighborhood might take him out back and let him feel what it's like to be on the receiving end of such treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships