Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:38 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,012 times

Advertisements

Something I have always been curious about throughout my history in dating is how soon is too soon to pursue someone that you might be interested in who is newly single. For the purposes of this question, let's assume that she had a relationship of at least a year, so relatively long-term.

Ladies, what is your take on this? How soon is too soon? How long is too long? How common are rebounds and do you think moving too soon gives the impression of a "vulture" like mentality with the guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:40 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Something I have always been curious about throughout my history in dating is how soon is too soon to pursue someone that you might be interested in who is newly single. For the purposes of this question, let's assume that she had a relationship of at least a year, so relatively long-term.

Ladies, what is your take on this? How soon is too soon? How long is too long? How common are rebounds and do you think moving too soon gives the impression of a "vulture" like mentality with the guy?
A couple months IMO.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
I would begin the pursuit immediately Gatsby1925....or someone else might...

Old 06-22-2012, 03:09 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,195 times
Ask yourself this, bro: do you want to be the rebound, or be with her long after she's had the rebound?

Rebounds are important. A short, rebound relationship is a healthy way to get over a long term one, in general. Without knowing the people and other factors involved, I'd say stay close by, play it cool, and wait for her to meet you half way. That doesn't mean wait to let her know you're interested. By all means, tell her how you feel! Being upfront and honest always works best. But you've got to be patient with a broken heart.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:07 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Ask yourself this, bro: do you want to be the rebound, or be with her long after she's had the rebound?

Rebounds are important. A short, rebound relationship is a healthy way to get over a long term one, in general. Without knowing the people and other factors involved, I'd say stay close by, play it cool, and wait for her to meet you half way. That doesn't mean wait to let her know you're interested. By all means, tell her how you feel! Being upfront and honest always works best. But you've got to be patient with a broken heart.
Really? healthy?
Don't you need some time to reflect, and assess what went right, and what went wrong?
A year is a considerable time, some people are engaged to be married in less then a year.
I am not attacking you here, I just don't agree that rebounds are healthy. Do they "help" ? Yes, but not in the "right" way. to me rebounds only distract your head and heart from the pain of a failed relationship. Then one rebounds, and then one probably quickly gets into datin or another relationship, without ever really building themself up from the inside.
How can one ever truely become a better partner if failed relationship after failed relationship never has a lesson learned? Maybe I'm too old fashioned....

Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM

45,348 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Faint heart never won a fair lady.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,532 times
Do you know the boyfriend, or are you friends with him? If so, then probably never...unless she's REALLY hot, then maybe 6 months.

Otherwise, whenever you get the chance. Not every woman who breaks up with a guy is an emotional basketcase, some of them are relieved to get out of a relationship and ready to move on. How will you know what the case is unless you ask?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Do you know the boyfriend, or are you friends with him? If so, then probably never...unless she's REALLY hot, then maybe 6 months.

Otherwise, whenever you get the chance. Not every woman who breaks up with a guy is an emotional basketcase, some of them are relieved to get out of a relationship and ready to move on. How will you know what the case is unless you ask?
Actually, I am not going through something like this at the moment. I just thought about it because I have had to deal with that a couple times in the past (I was just-friended both times.)

Old 06-22-2012, 05:58 PM

31,021 posts, read 22,059,932 times
There is no set amount of time as all people are different. Some people jump in the arms of the very next person they meet again and again, and some take years.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
Funny this subject should come up now. I have this female friend of mine who's notorious for just switching boyfriends without a moment of singlehood in between, and she's in the middle of doing it again. What makes it especially foolish is that she has two children. I've watched her long enough to know that if any guy wants a shot at her, his "best" option would be to ask her out WHILE she's got a boyfriend (something that would probably offend most women). I mean, this girl has a waiting list or something.

But of course, any guy who's known her as long as I have doesn't want her, specifically because she's prone to leave at the slightest obstacle. Who needs that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships