Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Thanks, I try. I just know that life is not full of ponies and rainbows and people do a disservice to their children if they let them believe that it is. The whole point is to guide them through life when they are young, so that when they are on their own they have some kind of foundation to face their own challenges.

My son got finished with a baseball game the other day, they lost by a few runs. The whole way in the car he kept blaming everyone else for the loss and how they all sucked. I let him vent and then told him to think about the game. How many times did he get up at bat...did he hit a home run to guarantee a run whenever he was up, how many balls did he stop and how many got past him, how many walks or strike-outs did he did he pitch. Then I told him he can blame his fellow players all he wants but it's a team sport....and he should think about his contribution, or lack of.

He sat quiet for a while. When we were almost home he said "yeah I guess I sucked too"...LOL
He did play terribly, but I didn't have to tell him "you sucked tonight too"...I let him come to that conclusion on his own.
Good story and kudos to you.... your son is well on his way to being a true man.

Thank you for putting good people out into the world...... well done.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:13 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Good story and kudos to you.... your son is well on his way to being a true man.

Thank you for putting good people out into the world...... well done.
Thanks Chow.

You know I was thinking of you all today. I found a few lemons in the fridge and it reminded me of limoncello. I really wanted to make some to take to the beach next week but I think it's too late for that. I have to dig out my recipe and look, but I thought I had to soak the zest for 10 days? I can't remember if it was soak it a week and store it for 10 days...or the whole thing from start to finish was that long.

Maybe I'll see if I can find a quicker recipe

Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It is a real peach when the pictures come out. I was able to gain some leverage when the letters and pictures come out when I visit the in-laws
I'm not sure how much leverage you gained. I was laughing along with everyone else!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I'm not sure how much leverage you gained. I was laughing along with everyone else!
A dear Santa letter that was numbered with 37 items?

LoL at DNA drainers. Tee hee.

Annoying kid while dining, this boy, who was maybe all of three was stading in his booth, this was annoying me. So I went iand clearly pointed for him to sit down, no words were exchanged. He promptly sat down and didn't bother us for the rest time we were there.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
The ones that were made to feel oh-so-special and then found out their parents lied to them when they entered the real world?

I mean don't misunderstand, I love my kids dearly and they are special to me...but when they get a good dose of reality out there, I don't sheild them from it and I don't play the "it's not you, it's them" card either.
We have talked about this before, but I like your style- common sense parenting- which is so grossly lacking these days.
I asked my dad why didn't eat out more when we were kids, his response " I didn't know how you two would act."

Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
A dear Santa letter that was numbered with 37 items?

LoL at DNA drainers. Tee hee.

Annoying kid while dining, this boy, who was maybe all of three was stading in his booth, this was annoying me. So I went iand clearly pointed for him to sit down, no words were exchanged. He promptly sat down and didn't bother us for the rest time we were there.
Lol. The non-parents laugh at it while the parents get offended.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Can I chime in and break the monotony of the family?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM

884 posts, read 1,406,092 times
Quote:
I don't play the "it's not you, it's them" card either.
Actually George Costanza invented the its not you its me card.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Lol. The non-parents laugh at it while the parents get offended.
Oh I know. My former next door neighbor was one of those. She annoyed me. The dad was good natured enough. But their kids were well behaved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Can I chime in and break the monotony of the family?
Please do.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Where's Lao? Where's Lucario? I need to re-assemble the axis of evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships