Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,419 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the help. I guess I do need to become more involved in the weekends. Seems like I go for my morning run or run a race, then just hang around all day.

Maybe when I move out, things will be easier. Just waiting on a few friends to see what their living situations are before going apartment shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 PM

400 posts, read 566,507 times
Are you moving into the city? Do you come into Chicago often? I would plan to come in to events the next few Saturdays. There is so much going on! Meetups are a great idea. I've done several since moving here around a year ago. Sometimes I show up to the event and totally skip the meeting up wih other people part and just observe or enjoy whatever it is (festivals etc.) but I have also met some people that way. It's not a lot of risk either and you already have a common interest. Bookstores an coffee shops hold events all the time and there are a few game shops that hold open game nights. That way you meet new people but if you keep going you'll see familiar faces! Good luck!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Thanks for the help. I guess I do need to become more involved in the weekends. Seems like I go for my morning run or run a race, then just hang around all day.

Maybe when I move out, things will be easier. Just waiting on a few friends to see what their living situations are before going apartment shopping
Yeah, you just have to make yourself be more proactive

I know it doesn't come natural to you, but the payoff can be huge if you make the effort.

I'm pulling for you!

Please keep us posted on your progress

Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I've posted this anecdote elsewhere on these boards, but...

When I was about your age, I got a second job on top of my full-time gig. It was at a major chain bookstore, and I love to read. I met a TON of people of all backgrounds and ages and expanded my social circle exponentially. More than a decade after taking that job, I still hang out with a core group of people that I met there. They are some of my dearest friends in the world.

So maybe a bookstore isn't where you want to work - maybe try waiting tables at a bar or working at a hardware store. Any kind of job that is interesting to you and puts you into contact with other people will work.

The other option is to get a dog and start participating in dog sports or dog-related activity. There are always a TON of young chicks involved and the guys tend not to be that plentiful on the ground.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've posted this anecdote elsewhere on these boards, but...

When I was about your age, I got a second job on top of my full-time gig. It was at a major chain bookstore, and I love to read. I met a TON of people of all backgrounds and ages and expanded my social circle exponentially. More than a decade after taking that job, I still hang out with a core group of people that I met there. They are some of my dearest friends in the world.

So maybe a bookstore isn't where you want to work - maybe try waiting tables at a bar or working at a hardware store. Any kind of job that is interesting to you and puts you into contact with other people will work.

The other option is to get a dog and start participating in dog sports or dog-related activity. There are always a TON of young chicks involved and the guys tend not to be that plentiful on the ground.

I love this post!

Good for you

Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,735 times
i hate to say it but welcome to the "real world" of dating. for as long as you're an average joe, it's going to be nothing but an uphill battle, unless you decide to seriously lower your standards.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:35 PM

262 posts, read 651,507 times
It is ok, Love.

You are educated and that is all that matters right now. You'll find a social life and friends. My advice for you is to sit back and take what comes to you. Joke around, don't take life to seriously. People tend to gravitate towards people like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships