Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times

Advertisements

I went on a date this weekend and felt horrible immediately after it was over. Isn't that the opposite of what's supposed to happen? lol My problem is that dating leaves me feeling very empty. I guess you could say that I'm a bit of a dating pessimist so in the back of my mind, I'm always thinking that it isn't going to work out and I'm just wasting my time. Maybe it's even a self-fulfilling prophecy because I end up acting detached and I don't make real connections. My date this weekend told me that he didn't really think that I was interested in him when that's not even true, but I didn't want to reassure him because I don't really know how he's feels about me either (my assumption is that he's not that interested). It's just very hard for me to feel enthusiastic about dating when I know that 99% of the time, my dates turn into nothing. So I just feel like, what's the point of it all and why should I keep doing it? I hate just having meaningless dates over and over again that lead nowhere. I know that I'm just supposed to relax and enjoy the date and not worry about whether I can possibly have a future with the person, but I can't seem to do that.

I hate dating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:11 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Dating should be "sweet as sugar."

Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Dating should be "sweet as sugar."
But it's not! It's bitter like...the opposite of sugar!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Awww Sweet as Sugar I am sorry. This is why I like double dating. You can talk to your buds too if he sucks.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:27 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,461 times
If I were you, I would take a break for a bit. It seems like your becoming drained from the process(which happens to a lot of people). I have not dated in a looonnnng time, but I have friends that have had similar experiences(that you've had) and they took a step back and refocused their energies elsewhere until they felt ready to get back in there again. Sometimes taking a "break" and focusing on the things we CAN control that make us happy is much easier than continuing to do the same things we are doing that are not getting us the results we want and that are out of our control. Just my perspective though. If your that unhappy with the process why not take a break?

Old 07-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Awww Sweet as Sugar I am sorry. This is why I like double dating. You can talk to your buds too if he sucks.
I've been on one double date in my life, but I was already in a relationship with that guy, so it probably doesn't count. It was fun though.

Anyway, I try to go with the flow and not take things too seriously, but it annoyed me because the guy I went out with this weekend called me at the very last minute and asked me to go out with him. Then he has the nerve to tell me that he feels like I'm not into him when it's HIM who couldn't even call me and plan things in advance, so obviously I'm not that much of a priority. Yet, I'm supposed to pour my heart out to him and tell him how much I want him? What the heck for? I mean, sure, he'd probably be fun to make out with, but I've already done that with someone else a few weeks ago and I don't need to do that with him too because I don't really think that he's looking for a serious relationship and I am.

He's got great arms though. I think I do want to make out with him. That is if he even calls again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
If I were you, I would take a break for a bit. It seems like your becoming drained from the process(which happens to a lot of people). I have not dated in a looonnnng time, but I have friends that have had similar experiences(that you've had) and they took a step back and refocused their energies elsewhere until they felt ready to get back in there again. Sometimes taking a "break" and focusing on the things we CAN control that make us happy is much easier than continuing to do the same things we are doing that are not getting us the results we want and that are out of our control. Just my perspective though. If your that unhappy with the process why not take a break?
I think you're probably right and I may need to take a few months off from dating.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
I'm the opposite...I started online dating and went out with 14 men total over the span of a few months. I always got so excited because we'd spend days/weeks emailing, texting and on the phone and I was always thinking 'This is a great guy!' and then I'd go out, have a great time and never hear from him again. 2 of the 14 men did call for a second date, but then nothing after that.

After 14 failures, I still get excited when I meet a guy that I have a lot in common with and get along with, but it ultimately ends up in disappointment, which is why I stopped the online stuff. I think I'm done with dating for a while, and perhaps you should take a break too. My poor fragile ego can't take it anymore

Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm the opposite...I started online dating and went out with 14 men total over the span of a few months. I always got so excited because we'd spend days/weeks emailing, texting and on the phone and I was always thinking 'This is a great guy!' and then I'd go out, have a great time and never hear from him again. 2 of the 14 men did call for a second date, but then nothing after that.

After 14 failures, I still get excited when I meet a guy that I have a lot in common with and get along with, but it ultimately ends up in disappointment, which is why I stopped the online stuff. I think I'm done with dating for a while, and perhaps you should take a break too. My poor fragile ego can't take it anymore
I know what you mean and that's why I can't even really begin to take someone seriously until after like the 5th date. It's very common to never hear from online dates again and it does get frustrating when it keeps happening constantly.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
Dating can be a blast or a complete nightmare, although normaly som ewhere in the middle on that scale. I recently met someone and have been on several dates, and enjoyed every minute. Have a triple date set up for next weekend. Any negativity or nagative outlook you bring to a date though, will defeinitely impact on how you act and how you think of it afterwords. Whats the point of meeting and getting to know someone, with an attitude that it wont work?

Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
[quote=Sweet Like Sugar;25078072]I've been on one double date in my life, but I was already in a relationship with that guy, so it probably doesn't count. It was fun though.

Anyway, I try to go with the flow and not take things too seriously, but it annoyed me because the guy I went out with this weekend called me at the very last minute and asked me to go out with him. Then he has the nerve to tell me that he feels like I'm not into him when it's HIM who couldn't even call me and plan things in advance, so obviously I'm not that much of a priority. Yet, I'm supposed to pour my heart out to him and tell him how much I want him? What the heck for? I mean, sure, he'd probably be fun to make out with, but I've already done that with someone else a few weeks ago and I don't need to do that with him too because I don't really think that he's looking for a serious relationship and I am.

He's got great arms though. I think I do want to make out with him. That is if he even calls again!

Lmao! don't do it! You might regret it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships