Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:05 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,219 times

Advertisements

I was the snoop with my ex, but I had good reason to be, because he was a liar and a cheat. I was following my intuition and turns out I was right. I thought something was wrong with me for being distrustful, at the time. In my present relationship, I wouldn't dream of snooping. I have absolutely no reason to. And I thought I'd never be able to trust again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:11 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I have my own private entrance and living quarters here, it was an add-on, so theres plenty of privacy. And I like it that way. Its the next best thing to living by yourself in a house or apt somewhere.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 AM

672 posts, read 2,125,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2007 View Post
I think it depends on the situation whether it's okay to snoop. My hubby and I met when he was struggling with trying to leave homosexuality behind. When we first moved in together, he kept a journal. One day, he left his journal out OPEN and I read it. He wrote about some fantasies he had, and when he got home from work that day, I made him move out. I have a right to know if someone is hurting me. So I do not believe I was wrong to snoop in this case.

Well, there are exceptions to almost everything we can think of. And, just so everyone knows, I do not believe in keeping secrets from our mates. But, I believe that most people prefer to at least have the option of having some degree of privacy, even if they are married. My fiancee has a large hope chest full of who knows what. I have been alone with the chance to rummage thru it many times. But, I never have, and I never plan to. She doesn't snoop thru my stuff either. Of course, by now, we pretty much have seen most of each others things. We have discussed this thing a couple of times, and we both agree that we should ask before we go tearing into boxes, etc. that we dont know about. It's not that we have things to hide from each other, it's just a matter of respect for each other. I believe that is how things should be with couples. Especially couples who really and truly trust each other.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,995 times
My husband has his own office that I never go through. The rest of the house is fair game. He has his own space that is his own that I (or the kids) don't tread near... It's weird and insecure to go through someone else's space. If I suspected that he was cheating... then that's a different story but I wouldn't have to go through his stuff to know as my husband is transparent (a terrible liar).

Old 10-04-2007, 02:36 PM

136 posts, read 589,773 times
This question was raised a couple of weeks ago by me and a co-worker. I have dated a snoop this snooping person went through my cell and lord knows what else when I would leave the room. I think like others have said it is a insecurity that person has within theirself. Maybe an ex cheated on them in the past and from that point on they have felt like everyone they date may have something to hide. Then again this may be a part of this persons personality some people are just nosey.

One thing that I used to help cure a snoop is to sit that person down and have a talk. Let that person know that you have nothing to hide and if they would like to browse your cell contacts just let you know and you will hand over the phone with no questions asked. That should go with anything else like if they want to search your clothes, wallet/billfold, computer, e-mail. That is just my opinion it worked for me.

It is terrible to snoop I so I try to be courteous!!

Old 10-04-2007, 05:42 PM

417 posts, read 1,281,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
I admit that if something is left in the open I might be nosy enough to look at it.

I agree.
If it is out in the open and I see it--that is not snooping.

The only place I will open a door and look is in the bathroom and the toilet paper roll is getting really low. This has happened more often, for me, in bachelors quarters.

If there is not a spare roll on the tank lid I figure there is probably one in the vanity under the sink. I do not consider that "snooping".

If I open the vanity and there is not one there I make do with what is on the roll, tell the person that I checked (without success) for a spare roll under the vanity and could they please replenish the dispenser. Thank you.

Oh yeah, sometimes there is facial tissue available and that works for me--don't really need to check for a spare roll--just tell the host(ess) that the roll is empty.

Years ago I remember seeing (on Candid Camera, I think) about a medicine cabinet being filled with marbles so that when the person opened it to snoop all the marbles came spilling out. That vision has stuck with me--it would be humiliating to be caught snooping.

No nosy Parker here.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:57 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,460 times
I admit it freely. I am a snoop and I am not ashamed of it. I am also a person of integrity. I have looked through my husband's things many times, I see nothing wrong with it. One would have to be naive not to do so. When my kids were teen-agers you can be sure that I snooped, as well. I don't make apologies for it, it's justifiable behavior.I was able to discover a heartbreak that my daughter was going through this way. Apparently she didn't want to share it with me. I never mentioned it, but in my knowing I was able to help her indirectly.
On the other hand I limit that behavior to my home. I would not look in someone else's drawer, closet, etc. outside of my home. However, if it were a dating situation I would ABSOLUTELY snoop. Please don't hold that against her if that's her only quirk.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:04 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,765 times
I'm a snoop - I will look through my husbands' things and did so when we dated, what a cheat he was then. I snoop through my daughters' room also (even though she's only 8) - but I read through her journals and little notebooks that she and the girls at school write in. I too, like another poster said, would not look through someone elses' things outside of my home (i.e. a neighbor or friend). I've always been a snoop though even when I was younger and dating - I was the Queen of Snoop!

Old 10-05-2007, 01:53 AM

56 posts, read 331,013 times
These posts are cracking me up. I'm thinking of a quote by Dr. Phil -
"Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing"
I just got thru taking everything out of my husband's home office to paint. He is trusting me to put it all back this weekend and throw out what I think can be discarded because he has to work and I don't mind doing it - i've been wanting to get my hands on this clutter for some time. Just the fact that I know he trusts me makes me not even wonder what I am going to encounter when I start going through the stuff.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,161,394 times
Nope, never married or dated a snoop -

I did have a roomie that was - She went through everything when I wasn't around. Needless to say - I split fast. Nothing worse then a nosey bit**.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships