Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,269,372 times

Advertisements

If you have a decent bone in your body you should tell her.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,466,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
It is a crime, and a form of abuse. I agree that it's strange to call the guy "best friends" though. Hopefully OP HAS voiced his disapproval to his friends face. I think the OP will tell from the way he posted, because he won't be able to get it off his mind.

More and more I am convinced it would be best to just get it out there in the light though (not anonymous or secretly). So it doesn't seem like stabbing a friend in the back and more like an intervention (maybe there are more people who know this friend that could be a part?).

His friend needs help. He could get discovered and go to jail.
I don't think he's doing anything that's technically illegal. Not until he actually steals money from her or defrauds her in some legal way. It's not a crime to lie to someone.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:32 PM

601 posts, read 761,101 times
None of your business. why are you so tied up in someone elses business. get a gf/bf or whatever u want..let them be

Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,296,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't think he's doing anything that's technically illegal. Not until he actually steals money from her or defrauds her in some legal way. It's not a crime to lie to someone.
YAY (I can't rep you again Jrz)

finally some common sense.

Everyone deserves a second chance, this guy may well be head over heels in love with an angel, and be absolutely amazed that she loves him, and be determined to change and treat her right.

This so-called "friend" wants to basically slander his friend, before the friend has even committed a crime.

I would seriously question OP's sudden dose of morality too....he has been BEST FRIENDS with this lying, cheating, alcoholic fraud for 40 odd years and he suddenly has a problem with it?

I smell alterior motives.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,013,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

Everyone deserves a second chance, this guy may well be head over heels in love with an angel, and be absolutely amazed that she loves him, and be determined to change and treat her right.

This so-called "friend" wants to basically slander his friend, before the friend has even committed a crime.

I would seriously question OP's sudden dose of morality too....he has been BEST FRIENDS with this lying, cheating, alcoholic fraud for 40 odd years and he suddenly has a problem with it?

This seems to be a common occurrence.

But as I already stated, Blazer has a good rep here - there is just no real reason to suspect him of the worst. That's just rude.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:06 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,466,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

Yeah, but we don't agree on this one issue overall. Come on, MsAnnThrope, you are very, very realistic - you KNOW this guy isn't changing.

Just because it's not illegal doesn't mean what the friend is doing is right. He's targeted a likely vulnerable woman after having openly stated he plans to marry for money and that he regularly misrepresents himself to the women he dates.

He may not be doing anything illegal, but he can do real harm to this woman. My uncle found someone shortly after he lost my auntie, and she was a WONDERFUL woman (and my uncle was a truly awesome guy). But every other quickie marriage after the loss of a spouse that I know of has ended in disaster. I even know of one millionaire who spent himself into bankruptcy for his new girlfriend.

The friendship is over - the OP can't avoid that fact. And yes, zombie friendships can limp along for years if the participants don't take the time to examine the situation.

But there's no harm in the OP putting a bug in this chick's ear with what he knows. Seriously, if their relationship IS for real, nothing some former best friend tells her is going to make a difference. HOWEVER, if she already has some doubts, he might help.

I've dated some sketchy men. My one ex's mother and ex-wife felt the need to tell me all kinds of things - their motivations were a mixed bag. But he'd already disclosed it all. It made no difference to me, and to this day I don't regret the relationship. If they'd told me something I didn't know that was important and held the ring of truth, I'd have investigated.

But who cares about the moral issues - the sex, drinking and religion? He's actively said that he's looking for the big haul in terms of cash. Knowing the problems faced by older people who find themselves without funds, I really do think she deserves a warning.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This seems to be a common occurrence.

But as I already stated, Blazer has a good rep here - there is just no real reason to suspect him of the worst. That's just rude.
It's an opinion, and it's different from yours.

How is that rude?

You keep making digs at me and personal attacks....not to mention the pm you sent me regarding another poster which I have just decided to report you for.

You know you're against TOS right? If you don't like what I have to say, put me on ignore.

You have just insulted me, by calling me rude....ISNT THAT RUDE? Or is that "different"?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 PM

41,008 posts, read 49,475,303 times
Three months back I saw an old best friend (alcoholic - 3 marriages) who wanted me to help him "hook up" and scam a fairly rich lady. It sounds like we have similar old friends. (Funny how they change)

I told him absolutely not that the more I hurt others the more it hurt me. Blazer, this will reflect on you similarly. You're involved in his scam and you need to do the right thing.

It will hurt you if you don't. You know what to do.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Yeah, but we don't agree on this one issue overall. Come on, MsAnnThrope, you are very, very realistic - you KNOW this guy isn't changing.

Just because it's not illegal doesn't mean what the friend is doing is right. He's targeted a likely vulnerable woman after having openly stated he plans to marry for money and that he regularly misrepresents himself to the women he dates.

He may not be doing anything illegal, but he can do real harm to this woman. My uncle found someone shortly after he lost my auntie, and she was a WONDERFUL woman (and my uncle was a truly awesome guy). But every other quickie marriage after the loss of a spouse that I know of has ended in disaster. I even know of one millionaire who spent himself into bankruptcy for his new girlfriend.

The friendship is over - the OP can't avoid that fact. And yes, zombie friendships can limp along for years if the participants don't take the time to examine the situation.

But there's no harm in the OP putting a bug in this chick's ear with what he knows. Seriously, if their relationship IS for real, nothing some former best friend tells her is going to make a difference. HOWEVER, if she already has some doubts, he might help.

I've dated some sketchy men. My one ex's mother and ex-wife felt the need to tell me all kinds of things - their motivations were a mixed bag. But he'd already disclosed it all. It made no difference to me, and to this day I don't regret the relationship. If they'd told me something I didn't know that was important and held the ring of truth, I'd have investigated.

But who cares about the moral issues - the sex, drinking and religion? He's actively said that he's looking for the big haul in terms of cash. Knowing the problems faced by older people who find themselves without funds, I really do think she deserves a warning.
Can NO ONE see this guy's hypocrisy?

This is his SELF PROCLAIMED "best friend", who he CLEARLY despises.

I don't know if BF is a sex addict, or if OP has just decided he is one? And even if he is, why does that make him untouchable? He could be in recovery.

We have all joked with our FRIENDS about finding a rich partner....every single one of us!

Suddenly he's going to be slandered because of the things he has CONFIDED in a person he thought was his best friend?

I tell my best friend everything, the good and the bad. She loves me and would never DREAM of betraying me to a third party. Her priority is MY happiness, which is as it should be between "best friends".

Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,269,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
It's none of your business.
At forty seven and with the money she should have a clue someone is playing her all by herself.
Who knows, maybe they are both sex addicts in love.
Providing the OP is telling the truth and this his friend shared his past experiences and future intentions, it's certainly his business. As mentioned, apparently this woman is a recent widow. She may be ripe for fraud. She may not be going about her business rationally. It's a decent human being's obligation to muster the courage. Again, providing the story is on the up and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships