Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 11:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times

Advertisements

So my bf and I double date A LOT. With work, school, kids we don't have a lot of free time for friends so this kinda gives us a chance to hangout. We mostly do movies and dinners with my friends and comedy clubs, sporting events with hsi friends.
So one of his frat brothers had been dating the same girl for about two years. She cheated they broke up. In two years, we did A LOT of double dating and I like this girl. We became friends, not the girlfriends of friends. So I still hang out with her, just on my own. My bf hasn't said more than "hello" to her since the split but hasn't said anything negative about our friendship.

Now the friend has a new girlfriend. I don't like her. She's only 20. She's silly. She annoys me and we have nothing in common. We went to see the midnight showing of Spiderman with them and she text/tweeted/facebooked through the WHOLE movie when she wasn't running back and forth to the concession stand to refill her popcorn bucket (and then dump it into everyone elses empty popcorn buckets...even though we told her we didn't want any more popcorn).

So tonight we were supposed to go see Batman. I was honest with my bf and told him the chick works my nerves and I don't wanna go out with them. He acted like I slapped his mama. It turned into a big blowout that ended with him saying he didn't like several of my friends bf/husbands so he won't be going out with them.

I'm more than annoyed by this but I'm wondering if it would just be easier to drop the whole double dating thing altogether. Makes me sad cause I always enjoy those after the Magic game wings and drinks late night Ale House conversations. In addition to that there are lots of things I like doing with my bf AND my friends like going to theme parks but I REALLY don't wanna deal with this chick.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Just drop the double dating thing. You don't have to like your friend's friends. Even if your reasons are shallow, don't feel pressured to like her. The texting all throughout the movie would annoy me too...well at least she's not talking, but seriously, if you're gonna go to a movie and just text there?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So my bf and I double date A LOT. With work, school, kids we don't have a lot of free time for friends so this kinda gives us a chance to hangout. We mostly do movies and dinners with my friends and comedy clubs, sporting events with hsi friends.
So one of his frat brothers had been dating the same girl for about two years. She cheated they broke up. In two years, we did A LOT of double dating and I like this girl. We became friends, not the girlfriends of friends. So I still hang out with her, just on my own. My bf hasn't said more than "hello" to her since the split but hasn't said anything negative about our friendship.

Now the friend has a new girlfriend. I don't like her. She's only 20. She's silly. She annoys me and we have nothing in common. We went to see the midnight showing of Spiderman with them and she text/tweeted/facebooked through the WHOLE movie when she wasn't running back and forth to the concession stand to refill her popcorn bucket (and then dump it into everyone elses empty popcorn buckets...even though we told her we didn't want any more popcorn).

So tonight we were supposed to go see Batman. I was honest with my bf and told him the chick works my nerves and I don't wanna go out with them. He acted like I slapped his mama. It turned into a big blowout that ended with him saying he didn't like several of my friends bf/husbands so he won't be going out with them.

I'm more than annoyed by this but I'm wondering if it would just be easier to drop the whole double dating thing altogether. Makes me sad cause I always enjoy those after the Magic game wings and drinks late night Ale House conversations. In addition to that there are lots of things I like doing with my bf AND my friends like going to theme parks but I REALLY don't wanna deal with this chick.

Any suggestions?
So don't deal with her on any level. Go and do what you want to do with or without your boyfriend and if he doesn't like it so what. He will either stick around or he won't, his choice. Why would you revolve your entire social life around what he likes to do with his friends and feel you have to keep silent about his friends' girlfriends.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Default lol...

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Reminds me of the 'Tiny Ginie' episode of the King of Queens...lolol...

Old 07-20-2012, 05:35 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So don't deal with her on any level. Go and do what you want to do with or without your boyfriend and if he doesn't like it so what. He will either stick around or he won't, his choice. Why would you revolve your entire social life around what he likes to do with his friends and feel you have to keep silent about his friends' girlfriends.
I don't think this is the right way to handle things.

Look, just talk to him about it. I don't think you need to stop it entirely, but something has come up and you two do need to talk to each other. You might be able to still do a double dates; however, you might have to have it with people that are more like your 'cup'o tea', sort of speak.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
How old are you and your boyfriend and your boyfriends friend, if you don't mind, so I can get a better idea of the situation in conjunction with the girl being 20?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,692 times
Haha, oh god. So basically your BF has to put up with your friend's idiot husbands/BF's, but you shouldn't have to put up with his friend's GF?

Old 07-20-2012, 04:58 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
How old are you and your boyfriend and your boyfriends friend, if you don't mind, so I can get a better idea of the situation in conjunction with the girl being 20?
29 & 30. I didn't used to think that was such a big difference but I feel like this girl is from another planet. I may have been just that silly when I was 20, I don't know, but all this chick does is text and tweet and talk about reality shows and celeb gossip. She actually follows a whole crop of celebs on Twitter and her phone goes off everytime they post something, which she then has to tell us about and then retweet.

When we go out with my friends, its usually to do something we would have done alone anyway. With his friends its more personal. Like a bbq where halfway thru the men will disappear to a basketball court or to look at a car and I'll be stuck alone with this chick and her texting/tweeting/kim kardashian handbag updates. And we can't go to any place that requires you be 21 like Rising Star, the karaoke place that we try to frequent at least once a month.

I mean its not like I wanna discuss the works of Poe over wings and ribs but I just don't have the patience to deal with her.

We still haven't talked about it. He's got a funky attitude so he took my son skating and I'm going to see People Like Us with my cousins.

I know it may not seem like a big issue but its bothering me. When my friends started pairing off we lost a lot of them to marriage so I look forward to our couple dates where 8 of us will go bowling and do guys vs girls. It would be awkward to go without him. I guess in the end I may just have to deal with her to get what I want.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:11 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Karoke or all you can eat buffet. Anything that keeps you busy, and not having to deal with her one on one. I don`t know, other than avoidance with this couple, and just let the guys hang out. Stay home and read a book!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
Quote:
29 & 30. I didn't used to think that was such a big difference but I feel like this girl is from another planet. I may have been just that silly when I was 20, I don't know, but all this chick does is text and tweet and talk about reality shows and celeb gossip. She actually follows a whole crop of celebs on Twitter and her phone goes off everytime they post something, which she then has to tell us about and then retweet.

When we go out with my friends, its usually to do something we would have done alone anyway. With his friends its more personal. Like a bbq where halfway thru the men will disappear to a basketball court or to look at a car and I'll be stuck alone with this chick and her texting/tweeting/kim kardashian handbag updates. And we can't go to any place that requires you be 21 like Rising Star, the karaoke place that we try to frequent at least once a month.

I mean its not like I wanna discuss the works of Poe over wings and ribs but I just don't have the patience to deal with her.

We still haven't talked about it. He's got a funky attitude so he took my son skating and I'm going to see People Like Us with my cousins.

I know it may not seem like a big issue but its bothering me. When my friends started pairing off we lost a lot of them to marriage so I look forward to our couple dates where 8 of us will go bowling and do guys vs girls. It would be awkward to go without him. I guess in the end I may just have to deal with her to get what I want.
Yea, I was thinking you may have been closer to her age. It sounds like she is pretty immature for her age, stuck a bit in what the teenagers are doing.

You could take her under your wing, so to say, and possibly do some more age appropriate things with her. Wondering whats up with your boyfriends friend with someone so much younger than himself.

I know as we get a little older nine or ten years isn't that terrible, but here it sounds like he is dragging a kid around with him! I was settling down at that age and had had my first child. My father died a year later. A year after that, I had my daughter. I was married within all of that time.

See, I had to become a responsible adult. She sounds like she really doesn't have any responsibilities, not that I think a 20 year old needs the kind of responsibilities I had....

To tell you the truth, I am not sure if I could handle it either... =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships