Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times

Advertisements

What my roommate is going through.

Basically, he was engaged to be married to a girl he had been with for 8 years. A few weeks ago he calls it off due to some distress he is having. The breakup was and still is ugly. His ex-fiancé is dating another guy. He is distraught because they were together for 8 years and not even two months later she is totally into someone else, which I don't blame the guy for how he is feeling. This week in particular he is real down about the situation. It is really affecting him. He has been barely able to leave his room. He nearly lost his internship on Capitol Hill ( which requires real hard work having magic horseshoes up your to get) due to this matter because the pain of the breakup is affecting him so much.

If this is potentially what happens when you put your heart into another person, I'm not sure I even want to go there with this love thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Don't let his problems freak you out, Dissenter. (Good to see you around, btw.) You're focussing on the negative, because it's right in front of you, but there are lots of happy endings around, too.

She was probably upset he called it off so abruptly after 8 years (ya gotta admit, that's pretty drastic, just over some kind of personal problem or crisis), and decided to move on. Some men notoriously start dating right after divorce papers are signed, they don't even wait two weeks, let alone two months, from the stories I've heard.

There was no need to call off the engagement, he could have told her he needed to postpone the wedding, if that were the case. It was his mistake.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with you. You're full of potential. You have a lot to offer and are a good guy. Think positive, or you'll end up withdrawing into your cave and being miserable over time. Besides, there's nothing to lose by getting out there and mixing and mingling. It's fun, even if you don't get a spark for awhile. You're at least meeting people and improving social skills.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 PM

52,322 posts, read 52,784,279 times
Some people cope with things differently. I think that 2 months after 8 yrs isn't a long of enough time to get over the feelings, but hey, they don't have sayings like "the best way to get over someone is to get under someone" for no reason.....

Old 07-21-2012, 07:16 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,743,028 times
so? men get a new gf the 'flavor of the month' 2 days after their breakups. how many times have we seen them flaunting around with a new woman in front of the old woman's face? Also in 8 years time you can't decide whether the person is 'marriage material' or not, probably best to bow out anyways.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,397,159 times
So you give up on love and relationships because your roommate has difficulty? Who cares? This has no bearing on you, your love life or women/men in general.

And this is ludicrous:

Quote:
Men get a new gf the 'flavor of the month' 2 days after their breakups
I've never once seen this, but I don't hang around 14 year olds. Must be restricted to them. A real man never does this, couldn't do it and wouldn't do it.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What my roommate is going through.

Basically, he was engaged to be married to a girl he had been with for 8 years. A few weeks ago he calls it off due to some distress he is having. The breakup was and still is ugly. His ex-fiancé is dating another guy. He is distraught because they were together for 8 years and not even two months later she is totally into someone else, which I don't blame the guy for how he is feeling. This week in particular he is real down about the situation. It is really affecting him. He has been barely able to leave his room. He nearly lost his internship on Capitol Hill ( which requires real hard work having magic horseshoes up your to get) due to this matter because the pain of the breakup is affecting him so much.

If this is potentially what happens when you put your heart into another person, I'm not sure I even want to go there with this love thing.
What part makes you not want to get into a relationship?

The fact that your RM broke up with someone after 8 years?
The fact that his GF rebounded well?
The fact that he is upset with his decision?

Of course putting your heart into another person may result in heartache. That's life.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,076 times
It's not going to be what you want to here but when it comes to relationships there is ALWAYS the risk that it might not work out. Every person you date is different and sometimes it's not going to work out. The important thing to remember is not to give up. There is someone out there just like you who is afraid of all of the same things. You just haven't met each other yet lol. Anything worth having is going to take some work and that's what a relationship is about. It's about putting the work in and it's about compromise. Just keep your chin up knowing your not the only one and it happens to EVERYBODY at some point. The losers you date just help you to appreciate that special someone when he/she comes along.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What part makes you not want to get into a relationship?

The fact that your RM broke up with someone after 8 years?
The fact that his GF rebounded well?
The fact that he is upset with his decision?

Of course putting your heart into another person may result in heartache. That's life.
The fact that he almost blew a major opportunity with his internship (really big internship) over this. He is not upset with his decision but the lack of care his ex is showing after 8 years like it is nothing.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,701,541 times
If that's what you want then go for it. Not everyone needs love and love isn't always a positive for everybody. Love can sometimes be counterproductive.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The fact that he almost blew a major opportunity with his internship (really big internship) over this. He is not upset with his decision but the lack of care his ex is showing after 8 years like it is nothing.
I'm sorry... perhaps I misread.

To clarify... your friend is upset about his ex's lack of caring after he broke off a 8 year engagement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships