Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,485,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I always run background checks. There's nothing wrong with this
Well, maybe there's nothing "wrong" about it exactly. But the fact you always run background checks does suggest you are an extremely suspicious person, a person who immediately regards newcomers to your life as potential threats. That is a rather paranoid, hostile worldview. I hope the people you run these checks on know about that aspect of your personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,948,611 times
I couldn't imagine running a background check on someone. So I find a DUI from 4 years ago or a possession charge when she was 18. Seriously, who cares?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:46 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,439,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I couldn't imagine running a background check on someone. So I find a DUI from 4 years ago or a possession charge when she was 18. Seriously, who cares?
Canada Customs. You won't be able to cross the border with her.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:09 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,948,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Canada Customs. You won't be able to cross the border with her.
LOL!! Shoot I forgot about that.

However, that might be a good thing. If she ends up going psycho and wants to kill me, I'll just hop on the next flight out to Toronto.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:49 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,419,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Ever run a background check on someone your dating? Thinking about dating? Or marrying? Parents, would this be useful when your daughters start dating? Judiciary case search websites will pull everything up from texting while driving, to DUI's, to domestic abuse, bankruptcy to felonies.
I like to figure people out on my own. I trust how I feel when I feel about our interactions.

People can also be falsely accused of something they didn't do.

What's more useful for me is to run a credit check on the person I decide to marry. I think they way a person handles their finances is also VERY indicative of what's to possibly expect. Unless, credit fraud messed up their score.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,892,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I think you're just good at what you do.
Teaching.........yeeeees.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:10 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,459,593 times
I have only done this once on a person I already had a huge suspicion about already.
My suspicion was confirmed and I was outta there.

I have never had the urge to do it with anyone else. Everyone else has always seemed like genuine characters

Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 AM

589 posts, read 639,479 times
These days, you'd be stupid not to. If someone has multiple DWIs/DUIs, spousal abuse charges, etc; then I'd rather know sooner than later.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:11 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,992,197 times
How do you get a background check if you only have a first name and a cell phone number?

Old 04-18-2014, 04:45 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,465,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
How do you get a background check if you only have a first name and a cell phone number?
Reverse Phone directory look up is usually a dbase one of those type of sites has access too.

To the OPs question, I never have run a background check on someone I dated, though once in my early 20s when I had a friend in the PD had them run the plate of someone I was interested in to verify something.

It really would depend on level of interaction. If I was a landlord I would do so regularly on potential tenants. As for potential life mate I'd likely find most stuff via internet in today's age unless there was some red flag that popped up when I had never expected it. There's a good amount of stuff out there if you know where to dig.

If I had children, I would for there bf/gf, especially if the children didn't seem very good judges of character and I had never met them or the other kids parents. At a past job, I had a colleague do so for his daughter's bf who he had suspicions about (shady behavior). I'd be more concerned with certain types of behavior / patterns of issues, etc... not so much a one off incident of something someone could explain in context to assuage concerns about, i.e. they learned from their mistake.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 04-18-2014 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships