Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times

Advertisements

I guess there are worse things. I know there are worse things. In fact, there are worse aspects of my own life.

But, darn, I'm sick of this. Every time I see a woman that's interesting to me, I'm too scared to ever approach her.

Of course, I never talk to anybody anyways, have no hobbies other than watching TV and surfing the internet.

But I see a couple of women in places where I go, and one or two of them smile at me, but I have no courage to do anything more than smiling back.

I just figure there's no way any of them would be interested in dating me, so I might as well save myself the embarrassment and stress.

I'm not interested in dating people who are completely unattractive to me. There'd be no point in that. It'd do nothing for me. But, I'm attracted to at least 50% of women my age and up to one decade older, and still I have no hope of ever having a girlfriend. Other guys I know are way more picky than me, so I understand why they don't have a girlfriend. But me, I'm sick of seeing a few women that others would reject and yet still having no courage to talk to them or meet them.

And now all the hot college kids are going to be descending on central PA again, and I'm going to get even more depressed. Summer used to be my time to feel a little less depressed because I didn't have to see all these beautiful young women all the time. But this summer didn't do anything for me. I'm as depressed as ever.

I hate living in this college town dump, a wasteland for anyone who's unmarried and over 24 years old. But I'm stuck here because I can't get a job anywhere else.

I'm sick of this garbage. If I were in a place where there were a lot more women, at least I'd have a chance of maybe getting my courage up someday. But here, where available women are as rare as wolverines, my chances are about the same as winning the lottery.

I'm sick of this rotten luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 03:06 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,649 times
You're fine. Move on to the next chapter.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Have a little confidence in yourself! You will never meet a gal, if you don`t throw yourself out there, and try! Don`t be so scared of rejection. Hold your head up, and be proud of who you are!!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I guess there are worse things. I know there are worse things. In fact, there are worse aspects of my own life.

But, darn, I'm sick of this. Every time I see a woman that's interesting to me, I'm too scared to ever approach her.

Of course, I never talk to anybody anyways, have no hobbies other than watching TV and surfing the internet.

But I see a couple of women in places where I go, and one or two of them smile at me, but I have no courage to do anything more than smiling back.

I just figure there's no way any of them would be interested in dating me, so I might as well save myself the embarrassment and stress.

I'm not interested in dating people who are completely unattractive to me. There'd be no point in that. It'd do nothing for me. But, I'm attracted to at least 50% of women my age and up to one decade older, and still I have no hope of ever having a girlfriend. Other guys I know are way more picky than me, so I understand why they don't have a girlfriend. But me, I'm sick of seeing a few women that others would reject and yet still having no courage to talk to them or meet them.

And now all the hot college kids are going to be descending on central PA again, and I'm going to get even more depressed. Summer used to be my time to feel a little less depressed because I didn't have to see all these beautiful young women all the time. But this summer didn't do anything for me. I'm as depressed as ever.

I hate living in this college town dump, a wasteland for anyone who's unmarried and over 24 years old. But I'm stuck here because I can't get a job anywhere else.

I'm sick of this garbage. If I were in a place where there were a lot more women, at least I'd have a chance of maybe getting my courage up someday. But here, where available women are as rare as wolverines, my chances are about the same as winning the lottery.

In life we make our own luck.

You are your own worst enemy and the only thing standing in the way of getting what you want out of life.

Fortunately, you can CHOOSE to change that at any time

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:

These statements contradict themselves, unless it's an all male college.

What are YOU going to do about putting yourself out there? It seems to have little to do with availability of women versus you are not able to approach any of them.

And you're also basing your attraction to other women solely on looks. How can a woman be interesting to you by appearance when you know nothing about her character? Join a club, activity, group, where you can get to know people beyond the surface, to have a better chance of attracting someone with similar interests as well as physical attraction.

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Chin up, keep at it...it wasn't till I was 25 till I got out of my dating shell after which it took me 3 yrs to finally figure out what I wanted and act myself which led me to attract the kind of girl I wanted and boom...married happily for over a year now

All I can say for now is patience as well as get out and take up a hobby or two

Old 07-31-2012, 03:33 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

We just had a thread on how to talk to women. Go back a page or two in the listings, you'll find it. Lots of good advice there.

First, get yourself a life. You'll need hobbies and interests to talk about on a date, something other than the internet. Do you enjoy cooking? Researching topics on the internet? What topics? Any weekend activities? Hiking and boating in central PA can be nice, I hear there are some small lakes and rivers around.

Begin by chatting casually with people in the grocery line, at the coffeeshop, in the hiking group you will soon be joining (hint hint ) Talk to anyone and everyone, male or female, old or young. Just casual chat to pass the time and be neighborly. It will become second nature, and then it will become easier to do this with women your age, the skill will transfer over. If you're used to starting up casual convos with strangers, you'll be able to do the same with a woman.

If you join a meet-up group or hiking group, you'll be in a place where you can get to know women effortlessly. That way, you'll already know something about her, and she you, so you'll have some knowledge to base your choice of woman on. Looks can be deceiving.

Half the battle is already over--they're already smiling at you! You're way ahead of some guys, who never get smiles. Smile back. Find an excuse to run into her a little later, if you're at the mall, or wherever. If you see her and her friends go into an ice cream shop or coffee shop, develop a sudden hankering for ice cream or coffee. Then TALK to her (or them): "Are you guys students at the college?" ANYTHING, just say SOMETHING! It doesn't take much, really. Especially if she's already smiled at you. "Man, this hot weather is killing me, I feel like spending the whole afternoon right here, with the A/C and the ice cream!" A N Y T H I N G.

Practice on strangers. You'll get more comfortable. I've heard central PA can be tough, but you're in a college town. Make the most of it. Are you a college grad yourself? UPenn offers full expenses financial aid that is NON-LOAN-BASED. Just fyi, or maybe you already knew.

I hope something here helps.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Someone on this board once said to me - if you want people to be interested in you, then be interesting. Get some hobbies! It isn't that difficult. Take a class, join a gym, join a club, do something! Plus hobbies are a good way to meet new people. You can't sit around feeling sorry for yourself which makes it unlikely your life will ever change, or you can get off the couch and go out and make your life happen.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
These statements contradict themselves, unless it's an all male college.

What are YOU going to do about putting yourself out there? It seems to have little to do with availability of women versus you are not able to approach any of them.

And you're also basing your attraction to other women solely on looks. How can a woman be interesting to you by appearance when you know nothing about her character? Join a club, activity, group, where you can get to know people beyond the surface, to have a better chance of attracting someone with similar interests as well as physical attraction.
I mean a lot more women that are at an age that is dateable for me. 24 is too young. 22 is way too young.

Clubs, activities, and groups are too scary. Besides, there aren't any of those for non college students in this dump.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Chin up, keep at it...it wasn't till I was 25 till I got out of my dating shell after which it took me 3 yrs to finally figure out what I wanted and act myself which led me to attract the kind of girl I wanted and boom...married happily for over a year now

All I can say for now is patience as well as get out and take up a hobby or two
25 ? That's young. 28 is young too.

It's too late for me. I'm 32. In this dump, that's equivalent to being 90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships