Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:23 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,828 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Need some advice on potential dating partners. I am a 30 year old male currently living in New Jersey. Work as a college professor and make decent money.

Lately, I have been getting quite a bit of attention from some of my current & previous female students as well as women who work in the local supermarket that I shop at. These women are VERY ATTRACTIVE are very personable and seem to NOT have an "emotional wall" up that I discover when I am around women who are more educated and financially stable.

My question....Should it matter how much money a man/woman makes and what type of job he/she has when it comes to dating and possible marriage?

Would any of you consider marrying someone who made minimum wage or significantly less than you?

Thoughts....Opinions.....Personal experiences....are all appreciated.

Last edited by usamathman; 08-05-2012 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 PM

117 posts, read 213,650 times
I wouldn't let it bother you. Just realize a much bigger financial burden may fall on you when you date. As long as you don't sense they are just after your money, then I don't think it would matter. If a guy has already graduated college and found a career position, there's a good chance he could be dating a girl a year or two younger perhaps who's still in college not really earning anything yet.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:48 PM

442 posts, read 615,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hello all,

Need some advice on potential dating partners. I am a 30 year old male currently living New Jersey. Work as a college professor and make decent money.

Lately, I have been getting quite a bit of attention from some of my current & previous female students as well as women who work in the local supermarket that I shop at. These women are VERY ATTRACTIVE are very personable and seem to NOT have a "emotional wall up" that I discover when I am around women who are more educated and financially stable.

My question....Should it matter how much money a man/woman makes and what type of job he/she has when it comes to dating and possible marriage?

Would any of you consider marrying someone who made minimum wage or significantly less than you?

Thoughs....Opinions.....Personal experiences....are all appreciated.
I think what is more important is that you have common interests...that will maintain a relationship beyond the initial attraction stage.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:49 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,709 times
Regardless of money, I would never date past or present students. That's just unethical in my opinion.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,625 times
I am a CNA & dated a Doctor for 2.75 years. Significant income difference? You betcha, but it was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by Pikake; 08-05-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
When I was in contact with them, my friend made about $70K in IT, from what I could deduce, and his wife made about $200K in sales. She was not bright in college and she is a "white" Hispanic for whom this income level went to her head. The situation was so bad that she started belittling her husband. I knew both of them in school. The divorce was 100% her fault. He couldn't stand it anymore and filed. He is so happy to have his freedom. He also made out ok financially. Cough up some money, honey!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:15 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,003 times
as long as they are doing what they enjoy and you are able to live life comfortably, it really doesn't matter.
money issues are never about money if you have what you need to live, they are about equality

Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,835,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
as long as they are doing what they enjoy and you are able to live life comfortably, it really doesn't matter.
money issues are never about money if you have what you need to live, they are about equality
^^^this 100% . The only time I had an issue dating a guy with a substantial amount of more money than me, out biggest issue became him assuming he could do or say as he pleased in various situations due to his much higher earning. A woman with class who knows her self worth will never except that mentality for too long.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
I think what is more important is that you have common interests...that will maintain a relationship beyond the initial attraction stage.

And to reinforce another poster's comments, it's a no brainer that you DON'T date current students. I don't see a problem in dating former students but much depends on their age. Students have infatuations with their teachers which can last way beyond graduation and if you pander to that it becomes a moral issue.

I've been in relationships where I've made more than my partner and ditto where I've made way less. The income in and of itself has never been an issue. What a very odd world it would be if the only people one could date or have a relationship with were those who were in your income bracket. I guess that in such a society there would be no layoffs and no firings and no disasters to plunge your income into the pits - or would that constitute instant separation/divorce under penalty of jail?

Last edited by STT Resident; 08-06-2012 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-06-2012, 06:10 AM

145 posts, read 325,755 times
Prenup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships