Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,512,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
I fail to see how being on your phone is any different than spacing out but people don't get all worked up about that. Group situation, multiple conversations going on in a bar setting, nothing wrong with being on your phone. Also, as an introvert, sometimes you can't escape the table if it's too cold outside or there's really nowhere else since it's too crowded, and being on the phone be it texting or surfing the net is my escape from too much conversation and stimulation.

People, it's all about context and situation.
Thank you.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
How was I being rude??? We're in a group of people. Most of us just met. What am I supposed to do, excuse myself to talk to people I actually know???

IMO, that is controlling behavior. Which is particularly nuts if you just meet someone.
Y'all don't get that people in front of you (known or not) are more pressing than your textie wextie conversation.

YOU were incredibly rude. He was just pointing that out.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Oh sweetie...didn't anyone ever tell you??? It's the BEER aisle!

No man is going to buy himself fruits and veggies...hang out by the steaks, sausage, beer and chips
She lives in Portland. The infamous "Seattle Freeze" extends to Portland. Turning heads? Good luck.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,113,672 times
Default When men that you've met 30 minutes ago ask you to put your phone away Reply to Thread

Quote:
Super annoying. So unattractive. Way to let the girl know you're crazy.

Unbelievably this has happened to me several times. The last time was at a pub style place a couple of blocks from my home, out with my roommate. These dudes were sending us over rounds of drinks. As I got up to go the bathroom, I thanked them, whatever. Came back and one of the dudes was actually really interesting, cute and non-creepy so when they stopped me I started talking to them. Eventually one of them grabbed my roommate too to join us. We're having a good time, getting tipsy. One of them starts dominating the conversation with me, which I found annoying but whatever he seemed ok. Muscular, guido-ish, attitude. I notice he is slowly getting more obnoxious and he's kind of giving me some attitude as I'm getting a little colder. Meanwhile I'm texting several people as usual.

Then he tries to grab my phone, basically demands to know who I'm speaking to, and accuses me of being a b****. How can you just meet someone and try to grab their phone??? How ridiculous. Crazy alert. So I basically continue ignoring him. Eventually he leaves, but not without throwing rolled up napkins on me on his way out.

I wish I could say this is the first time I just met someone out and they demand to know who I'm speaking to or why I'm on the phone. None of your business! I really cannot understand male behavior.
His mistake picking a gal with no class to chat with, and your mistake stopping to chat with him in the first place, obviously you pick loser guys if this has happened more than once. Most guys are not going to ask who you are texting, but if you are so rude that you have to text someone while talking to someone else, then you deserve the ill treatment you get. Try being attentive and polite, it will work wonders.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,113,672 times
Default When men that you've met 30 minutes ago ask you to put your phone away Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, yes. If you agreed to hang out with these people and were having conversations with them, then the appropriate thing to have done was to say, "Excuse me for a moment," and walked away to do whatever.
I suspect most of us will agree with you. However, younger people will not be able to see how the OP's behavior is rude, because many younger people were not taught any manners when they were growing up, so they don't know the difference. They just don't get it and they damn sure don't want anyone else telling them what they should have done in any given situation. Remember the saying, "a smart man learns from the mistakes made by others, a fool has to learn from his own mistakes". The OP can accept drinks from someone, but doesn't feel obligated to be polite to them, crazy thinking...

Old 08-17-2012, 10:16 PM

52,338 posts, read 52,799,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I suspect most of us will agree with you. However, younger people will not be able to see how the OP's behavior is rude, because many younger people were not taught any manners when they were growing up, so they don't know the difference.
I'm starting to sound like an old goat over here... but I'm continually surprised as to what passes as as "normal" behavior now.

I ain'ts all that old either...

Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,740 times
This one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen. There's a lot of others in this forum that are almost as dumb, and what amazes me is the number of people that reply...........oh - guilty

Old 08-17-2012, 10:20 PM

52,338 posts, read 52,799,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
This one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen. There's a lot of others in this forum that are almost as dumb, and what amazes me is the number of people that reply...........oh - guilty
Without a quote no one knows WTF post your talking about........

Old 08-17-2012, 10:29 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhound View Post
without a quote no one knows wtf post your talking about........
op

Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,863,279 times
Quote:
How was I being rude??? We're in a group of people. Most of us just met. What am I supposed to do, excuse myself to talk to people I actually know???
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, yes. If you agreed to hang out with these people and were having conversations with them, then the appropriate thing to have done was to say, "Excuse me for a moment," and walked away to do whatever.
I'm with you cpg. This "cellphone culture" is no culture at all. If my mother would consider it to be rude, it is rude. Modern technology doesn't change the basics.

Quote:
IMO, that is controlling behavior.
My a** it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.