Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times

Advertisements

We've hit on this topic once or twice on here before but I think this might be a new twist then again it might not be.

How has Hollywood made modern relationship impossible? We can all agree that men & women are held to certain standards when it comes to dating/marriage. Men are supposed to sweep women off their feet by being romantic 24/7 and of course the women look like supermodels. And real life issues never come up. Do women really expect men to be or act like they do on screen? Do men think the women that date/marry should look like those women in the movies?

What other down sides to these movies have on realtionships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 08:38 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
No we don't Reed. But a little bit doesn't hurt.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:45 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
I don't think anyone really compares their love life to movies but I'll tell you what...I LOVE The Notebook. Best movie ever in my opinion but I don't see that really playing out in real life.

It wasn't a tidy love story either...they had their ups and downs. My favorite scene which isn't all that lovey dovey:

"The Notebook" fight scene - YouTube

Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
romance 24/7. huh. When does the man get to rest?

I can't see an all-day romancing her every single day, i can definitely see small romantic gestures all the time, with big events occurring on special occasions.

The only time that happens is when the guy has no job and is living off his parents money and has money to burn. You're talking a pipe-dream scenario here.

If that is what you're seeing from women, start looking for other women. Relationships do exists from normal hard-working people. I dont know where you got this idea from honestly.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,780,869 times
I like the old movies where men were strong, cool as hell, and could make a woman swoon with just a stare

These days she would be like "WTF are you looking at?"

Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
romance 24/7. huh. When does the man get to rest?

I can't see an all-day romancing her every single day, i can definitely see small romantic gestures all the time, with big events occurring on special occasions.

The only time that happens is when the guy has no job and is living off his parents money and has money to burn. You're talking a pipe-dream scenario here.

If that is what you're seeing from women, start looking for other women. Relationships do exists from normal hard-working people. I dont know where you got this idea from honestly.

We're talking Hollywood here not real life.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Romance 24/7? I think most women would be more than happy with a guy who unloaded the dishwasher and ran a vacuum around every once in a while
Maybe the pressure to be romantic (whether or not a woman expects it) makes a man completely give up and do nothing at all.

As for those stupid romantic comedies...well, just look at the 'Manic Pixie Dream Girl' archetype that's so prevalent today.

And putting glasses on a gorgeous, thin, leggy actress DOES NOT MAKE HER A NERD/DORK.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We're talking Hollywood here not real life.
But you're comparing movie relationships/courting to real life relationships/courting.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,780,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Romance 24/7? I think most women would be more than happy with a guy who unloaded the dishwasher and ran a vacuum around every once in a while
Maybe the pressure to be romantic (whether or not a woman expects it) makes a man completely give up and do nothing at all.

As for those stupid romantic comedies...well, just look at the 'Manic Pixie Dream Girl' archetype that's so prevalent today.

And putting glasses on a gorgeous, thin, leggy actress DOES NOT MAKE HER A NERD/DORK.
Oh you're looking for, Michael Keaton, in Mr. Mom - Mr. Mom (1983) - IMDb

Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
But you're comparing movie relationships/courting to real life relationships/courting.

No, I'm asking IF these types of movies are hurting peoples expections when it comes to relationships. I know I've heard women say that they wish they could find a man OR wish thier man were more like said guy in the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships