Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a smoker?
No 197 66.11%
Yes 58 19.46%
Depends (explain) 43 14.43%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 01:36 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
How about chewing tobacco i chew every now and then . It help me get things done like homework and gives my a buzz i like.
Chew? That's disgusting. You stick it between your lower lip and your gums so you have this giant bulge in your mouth and you have to spit all the time, often in a bottle so you're carrying it around.

Smoking is awful, but chew is downright disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
I would.

I used to smoke, but not anymore. So long as she didn't do it in the house, I don't care.

But if it turned serious, I would want her to quit for her own health obviously.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Ive dated a couple, but they quit within a month or two of dating. I just gave them a hard time for it and voila!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
That is impressive.

After my last dating-a-smoker experience, I doubt I will date a smoker ever again.

Even if they try to quit, I get to deal with the withdrawal. And I dont wan to deal with that again if I dont have to. It was terrible. The rages that smokers go through while trying to quit is not worth it.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:49 AM

40 posts, read 45,148 times
No, you're not misunderstanding this and, no, I'm not kidding. As a result of your post I lightly researched how often older adults start smoking and, though it's relatively rare, it occurs in large enough numbers to be a reality.
For me the worst part was "coming out" which was a slow process that was highly embarrassing as my former reputation was highly anti-smoking. I realize that everyone is different but for me the addiction crept up and is very powerful. I really should have known better but rationalized it all by thinking we'd actually quit, that quitting was her true intention. Worse, I didn't fully realize how the power that addiction would have over me, not to mention her. So, I've learned and have to eat humble pie as, even when I intend to quit it's become virtually impossible as long as she continues and, yes, she does, even to the point of encouraging me not to in various ways.
Look, I love her and now simply accept that this was my choice, though an ignorant one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
I must be misunderstanding this? You went from a *non-smoker* to a *smoker* (forget about why) as an adult professional? My only question would be how you didn't choke to death as you were *learning*? I'm speaking as a former smoker...I can see getting hooked as a teen but not as an adult....c'mon, you're kidding, right???

Old 11-29-2016, 07:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
In the 1970's? Sure. It was pretty hard to avoid. In 2016? Nope.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:04 AM

40 posts, read 45,148 times
It's not equivalent to "passing an STD on to someone" in that I chose to do this myself and have myself to blame. And, technically, it's legal where knowingly passing on an STD isn't. Yes, she encouraged it but I could have chosen not to go along. I was ignorant, though I thought I understood addiction. I didn't until I became addicted. I thought she could easily quit and didn't understand that, for some (and, yes, for me also) it isn't as easy as I once thought, especially when the love of my life is also a cigarette addict.

The only "advantage" now is that I'm not bothered by the smell and am truly empathetic to her and other smokers now where, before, I was arrogant and demeaning of smokers. I've learned to be humble and applied this in many other ways in my life. When I do quit, and I still have hopes on that score, this humility will serve as a life lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
OMG what a horrible, selfish, uncaring, downright mean thing to do to someone. She encouraged you to shorten your life span then seems to take pleasure in your downfall. This is someone you want to be in a relationship with?

Wow, that's as bad as passing an STD on to someone.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:56 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
It depends... would prefer a non-smoker but sometimes you don't get to choose who you fall for AND everyone has flaws/habits that you may not like or disagree with.

A heavy smoker would be more difficult for me to overlook.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:06 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
I've never smoked myself and I don't like the way it smells but...it's not an absolute dealbreaker depending on the circumstances. So I chose "depends."

Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 AM

1,261 posts, read 971,696 times
Nope, might as well lick an ashtray instead of kissing her.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:14 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
I could never date anyone who needs to smoke a pack of cigarettes to get through the day. I am very sensitive to smoke and I shudder to think what this constant inhaling of smoke would do to woman's ability to have healthy children. But I can imagine that if I were really into someone and she was a social smoker then it might not be so bad. Let's say if she likes to smoke a few cigarettes or hookah at social events then I could live with that. No more than twice a month or so... I occasionally smoke cigars as well, but probably no more than once a month...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships