Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times

Advertisements

So not long ago I started working from home. And that of course limited the amount of time/and opportunities I have to meet other people. So I have been trying to branch out into unique and creative ways to meet the sort of people I am interested in.

I don't like bars, I like having a drink. But I am more interested in the execution of the drink than anything else. One and done for me.

Meetup is OK, but the crowd isn't all that diverse for my local meetups. Especially for the things I am most interested in.

Online dating seems to be a fail for me. The people I want don't seem to be online in any numbers at all. Or don't really seem to be all that interested in my type.

So I decided to take a completely different approach all together. I joined a niche professional networking group! This of course seems to be a little weird. But I joined one that is pretty social. I have made new friends, ran into former elementary school friends, and there seems to be a much higher portion of "my type of guys" at the events. Worst case, I find someone to professionally network with.

What you unique approaches are you using to meet new people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,182,299 times
Chatroulette.

5,190 posts, read 4,843,495 times
try walking naked down the high street - that'll get you meeting some different types!

1,468 posts, read 2,154,293 times
Um, I would not try this because it is a bit creepy, but you can take the public transportation and find a guy or girl closer to your age. You'd be surprised at what you can find. I heard about that but it would be too uncomfortable for me.

I think that volunteer work and internships are also effective.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:37 AM

or you need a job in which there are plenty of members of the other sex around.

for a man - how about a job working on the supermarket checkout?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Um, I would not try this because it is a bit creepy, but you can take the public transportation and find a guy or girl closer to your age. You'd be surprised at what you can find. I heard about that but it would be too uncomfortable for me.

I think that volunteer work and internships are also effective.
This is a good one. I used to volunteer at urban gardening project and met tons of women there.

Last edited by BioMechanical; 09-06-2012 at 12:50 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 12:43 AM

or perhaps relocation is the answer - ie: move to a place where there is an overabundance of available women...

Old 09-06-2012, 12:47 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,154,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
or perhaps relocation is the answer - ie: move to a place where there is an overabundance of available women...
I hear the biggest cities usually have this. (Men for me.) Just gotta adjust to the new attitudes and lifestyles.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 AM

of course in reality the problem is not that of meeting the opposite sex, but rather in attracting them.

it makes no difference how many potential partners you meet - if you are desirable enough they will find you.

if you are undesirable enough it matters not a jot whether you are the last man on the planet - you will still be single!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
of course in reality the problem is not that of meeting the opposite sex, but rather in attracting them.

it makes no difference how many potential partners you meet - if you are desirable enough they will find you.

if you are undesirable enough it matters not a jot whether you are the last man on the planet - you will still be single!
I think it is all about putting yourself in situations where the people are likely attracted to you. I have learned there is a particular niche of men that are attracted to me (that match with my #1 preference). The only problem is that it isn't a common demographic where I live. But there is at least a 50% chance that someone who hits on me is from that demo. So I need to find those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships