Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or a chance at true love?
I'm a woman and I choose a chance at true love 39 22.54%
I'm a woman and I choose as much money as my heart desires 35 20.23%
I'm a man and I choose a chance at true love 34 19.65%
I'm a man and I choose as much money as my heart desires 65 37.57%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Bolded: I don't agree with that.

Quality people are very difficult to find.
Exactly. So far, it seems that most of the people choosing money are making some fundamental mistakes and exposing them in their explanations:

1. Equating an "average" life with poverty, going hungry, not being able to pay the bills.
2. Thinking that the money would be in any way more permanent than true love, a concept with permanency as one of it's very implications. In fact, that's usually what people mean when they say they want to find true love, a love that will last at least for the rest of their lives. Even the OP (who has an obvious bias) didn't specify that there was NO chance the money would be lost one way or another.
3. That the amount of money that would increase their general feelings of happiness is both high and hard to find. Not so. I'd wager that enough money to make ends meet plus buy something new and do something fun once or twice a week would be enough for just about all of us. The rest would add nothing to our quality of life.

I'm fine with people simply choosing money over true love. To each his own. But not if you have to delude yourself first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Exactly. So far, it seems that most of the people choosing money are making some fundamental mistakes and exposing them in their explanations:

1. Equating an "average" life with poverty, going hungry, not being able to pay the bills.
2. Thinking that the money would be in any way more permanent than true love, a concept with permanency as one of it's very implications. In fact, that's usually what people mean when they say they want to find true love, a love that will last at least for the rest of their lives. Even the OP (who has an obvious bias) didn't specify that there was NO chance the money would be lost one way or another.
3. That the amount of money that would increase their general feelings of happiness is both high and hard to find. Not so. I'd wager that enough money to make ends meet plus buy something new and do something fun once or twice a week would be enough for just about all of us. The rest would add nothing to our quality of life.

I'm fine with people simply choosing money over true love. To each his own. But not if you have to delude yourself first.
For me it's simply the idea of never again having to worry about money, and not having to work. I guess it depends on what is considered "average". I can't recall a single moment in my life, as a child or adult, where the fear of not having enough money wasn't a constant. It may have been less of a worry sometimes, but it was always there. That's all I know. So yes, I'd be more than happy with enough money to live simply but comfortably, with a little left over to enjoy. But not if I had to work a miserable job in order to have it. I'd rather barely scrape by doing something I enjoy. The idea of never needing to work if I chose not to, and never having any sort of financial worries is pretty much the ideal situation in my mind. Being forced to take a job I hate because I have to survive sucks a LOT worse than simply being single, at least for me. I'm very much a loner and introvert, so being alone is no big deal for me. But not having money is always a problem, and trying to find a job I don't wind up hating after a year seems like an impossible challenge. So eliminating those two issues would make a HUGE difference in my quality of life. Eliminating my lack of a partner would be nice, but totally unnecessary for me to live a pleasant life. It would be like eliminating one really awesome kind of food, but it's one I've never tried in the first place.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,717 times
Yes, with money you may find someone who will "love" you but it ain't going to be true love. If I could find true love with a woman (particular one in mind), it would make me the happiest person on this planet. True love helps fill a void in your heart that money can't.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
I have lived through extreme poverty (as a kid) to being financially well off in my 20's; I have struggled as a single mom & it's been pretty damn interesting. Life is easier, when you have money. So if I had to choose....I choose money. That's reality. Love is a wonderful thing, but money is an absolute necessity.

The Beatles - Money (That's What I Want) (2009 Stereo Remaster) - YouTube

Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,644,439 times
I chose the money.

I figure with all the money, I'd have all the resources available to me to get the things in life that would make me less stressed, more calm, give me easier access to achieve all the things I've ever wanted to, give back, and feel like more of a success. I'd feel more at ease, and thus would likely attract "true love", being less timid about my lifestyle and more social and open, ending up with both in the end. And if the "true love," which is fleeting at best, doesn't work out, I'll still have my peace of mind that came along with an endless supply of monetary resources that gave me ample opportunities to accomplish and experience everything I ever wanted.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I chose the money.

I figure with all the money, I'd have all the resources available to me to get the things in life that would make me less stressed, more calm, give me easier access to achieve all the things I've ever wanted to, give back, and feel like more of a success. I'd feel more at ease, and thus would likely attract "true love", being less timid about my lifestyle and more social and open, ending up with both in the end. And if the "true love," which is fleeting at best, doesn't work out, I'll still have my peace of mind that came along with an endless supply of monetary resources that gave me ample opportunities to accomplish and experience everything I ever wanted.
Another person who is redefining the concept of "true love" to make their decision make more sense. What do you think sets love apart from true love, if not that one may or may not last and the other will? I seriously don't get how you and a few others here have come across the idea that even true love can be "fleeting". No, true love is forever. You might argue that it doesn't exist at all, that's up to you. But the idea is permanency! That's what the phrase means!

/rant

Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
I have a better idea, let's ask Michael Jackson and see what he says.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have a better idea, let's ask Michael Jackson and see what he says.

20yrsinBranson
A dead MJ?

Little boys?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Are you serious? Of course it's the money, women are a dime a dozen.

Real love isn't a dime a dozen, as most of you should know. Most of you have felt real love for somebody or currently do and you know that isn't something that comes around often specially when it is mutual.

Money may buy superficial affection but it can't buy love. There is no amount of coin in the world that can buy love, so seems to me love is a more precious thing.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Real love isn't a dime a dozen, as most of you should know. Most of you have felt real love for somebody or currently do and you know that isn't something that comes around often specially when it is mutual.

Money may buy superficial affection but it can't buy love. There is no amount of coin in the world that can buy love, so seems to me love is a more precious thing.
+100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships