Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:38 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,121 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between true love and infatuation? Is true love always born from infatuation? Is it possible to truly love someone right away or is it just infatuation masquerading as love? Does love, real unconditional love, take time to grow or can it be instantaneous? What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Not sure if it can be instant but I think true love never dies--even if the relationship does. I've gotten over every relationship but one and that's lasted over 30 years so far. True love.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
What is the difference between true love and infatuation? Is true love always born from infatuation? Is it possible to truly love someone right away or is it just infatuation masquerading as love? Does love, real unconditional love, take time to grow or can it be instantaneous? What do you all think?
Are you really confused about this??

Falling in love is a process that begins with infatuation. True, unconditional love only happens instantaneously with newborn babies, and then not always. In all other relationships love needs time to grow.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
depends it is different every time.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:10 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
I don't think anyone can pretend to know the answer to this because no one can truly define love completely.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,412,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Here we go, one at a time:
  • What is the difference between true love and infatuation?
Infatuation is really the same thing as being obsessed over someone, or feeling lust towards that person. In other words, they interest you so much that you simply cannot stop thinking about that person, no matter what you do.

True love is something completely different. True love is when you connect with someone intimately, on a physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional level. It's when you cannot see where you end and the other person begins. It is a feeling, as well as a knowledge, that the two of you are in complete unison in all aspects of life, but at the same time, you are also two unique and separate individuals.
  • Is true love always born from infatuation?
There are as many different ways for true love to form as there are stars in the sky. True love can be born from infatuation, but typically, it is not. With infatuation, what typically happens is that the person who is infatuated usually pushes the other person away, due to their overbearing nature. The person with the infatuation does things like calling the other person constantly, pushing the other person for a commitment that they're not ready for, becoming overly jealous of the other person, etc.

In my opinion, true love is developed from either an instant attraction (not infatuation) that grows into friendship, which then grows into love, or, it is developed from an intense friendship. But again, there are thousands of ways that true love happens.
  • Is it possible to truly love someone right away or is it just infatuation masquerading as love?
It depends on how you define infatuation. There's a difference between infatuation and attraction. I've already defined infatuation. Attraction, on the other hand, is a healthy longing to be with another person. In other words, you desire their company, enjoy their conversations, are physically attracted to them, share the same basic beliefs, but you can easily separate yourself from that person.

With infatuation, it's rare that that can be turned into love. In the same breath, "love at first sight", is usually "lust at first sight", or as you put it, infatuation masquerading as love. However, and again it's rare, you can find love fairly quickly - the only problem with this though is that it takes two people to fall in love.
  • Does love, real unconditional love, take time to grow or can it be instantaneous?
Again, as I said, It's possible, but rare. I believe that building a solid foundation for love takes awhile. Maybe not years, but I believe that you really have to have that strong desire to know and understand the person that you're falling in love with, and they have to do the same.

As Ole' blue eyes once sang, "We're on the road to romance, that's safe to say.. But let's make all the stops along the way.."
  • What do you all think?
I try not to think. It hurts.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:01 AM

129 posts, read 493,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
Here we go, one at a time:
  • What is the difference between true love and infatuation?
Infatuation is really the same thing as being obsessed over someone, or feeling lust towards that person. In other words, they interest you so much that you simply cannot stop thinking about that person, no matter what you do.

True love is something completely different. True love is when you connect with someone intimately, on a physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional level. It's when you cannot see where you end and the other person begins. It is a feeling, as well as a knowledge, that the two of you are in complete unison in all aspects of life, but at the same time, you are also two unique and separate individuals.
  • Is true love always born from infatuation?
There are as many different ways for true love to form as there are stars in the sky. True love can be born from infatuation, but typically, it is not. With infatuation, what typically happens is that the person who is infatuated usually pushes the other person away, due to their overbearing nature. The person with the infatuation does things like calling the other person constantly, pushing the other person for a commitment that they're not ready for, becoming overly jealous of the other person, etc.

In my opinion, true love is developed from either an instant attraction (not infatuation) that grows into friendship, which then grows into love, or, it is developed from an intense friendship. But again, there are thousands of ways that true love happens.
  • Is it possible to truly love someone right away or is it just infatuation masquerading as love?
It depends on how you define infatuation. There's a difference between infatuation and attraction. I've already defined infatuation. Attraction, on the other hand, is a healthy longing to be with another person. In other words, you desire their company, enjoy their conversations, are physically attracted to them, share the same basic beliefs, but you can easily separate yourself from that person.

With infatuation, it's rare that that can be turned into love. In the same breath, "love at first sight", is usually "lust at first sight", or as you put it, infatuation masquerading as love. However, and again it's rare, you can find love fairly quickly - the only problem with this though is that it takes two people to fall in love.
  • Does love, real unconditional love, take time to grow or can it be instantaneous?
Again, as I said, It's possible, but rare. I believe that building a solid foundation for love takes awhile. Maybe not years, but I believe that you really have to have that strong desire to know and understand the person that you're falling in love with, and they have to do the same.

As Ole' blue eyes once sang, "We're on the road to romance, that's safe to say.. But let's make all the stops along the way.."
  • What do you all think?
I try not to think. It hurts.
Great detailed analysis!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,128 times
Well said, Urban. I tried to rep you, but it STILL won't let me. I don't get it. I've repped a lot of others, but for some reason, I can't rep you. Conspiracy???

Old 12-03-2009, 07:04 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Infatuation is an instant uncontrolled reaction that can change for better or worse in a short amount of time but has no quaranteed long term longevity.
Love is a feeling that builds over time with a rock solid foundation that just keeps growing and getting stronger as years go by.
Looks, body language, mannerisms, dress, etc. can be reasons for being infatuated with someone.
And sometimes this does turn into real love.
But real love is two hearts beating and working together through the good and bad times of life and refusing to let anything separate them.
I could be infatuated by a beautifull woman in the grocery store and appreciate her beauty and how she presents a perfect woman image.
But I've been in love with a woman I know will be there with me through good and hard times for almost 30 years.
She has proven her devotion and I guess I've proven mine.
Real lasting love takes time.
I admit I was infatuated with her at first. But it grew into a lifetime of love.
Infatuation can be a seed planted. Whether or not it grows to maturity is how it is cultivated and nurtured by both party's.
I got lucky. She was beautifull. I was infatuated. I wanted her. But that was only a first impression. Then I got to know her better and found out her good basic caring nature.
The love grew over time and years. And it's still getting stronger.
Friends told me I had a trophy wife. No, she isn't a trophy. She is just my soul mate.
I didn't shoot her. I just love her.
We raised 6 kids.
Infatuation and real love is two different things. But the former can turn into the later.
Only time will tell. And it takes both people. It can't be a one way street.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,412,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
Well said, Urban. I tried to rep you, but it STILL won't let me. I don't get it. I've repped a lot of others, but for some reason, I can't rep you. Conspiracy???
The rep gods have frowned down upon me?

It's alright.. I get that with a lot of people too.. seems like everytime I go and slap my mouse over that rep button, it always says that I have to spread the love. Thanks though.. It's not just you - I get the same thing when I try to rep you a lot of times as well.. I read something about it in one of the faq forums, but I still don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships