Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or a chance at true love?
I'm a woman and I choose a chance at true love 39 22.54%
I'm a woman and I choose as much money as my heart desires 35 20.23%
I'm a man and I choose a chance at true love 34 19.65%
I'm a man and I choose as much money as my heart desires 65 37.57%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Chances for "true love" VEry slim and none.
So are the chances for having as much money as your heart desires (for many, this would be an infinite supply)... for a lifetime, though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
Why are us humans denied true love during our life time? Is it us? Or is it some cosmic force that seems to have a cruel heart? Or is it the way material society is set up? Things change...families that in one century were the top of the heap- then next generation there is a decline.. Are we afraid of true love- or do we think we do not deserve it? Do we lie to ourselves...and have others lie to us? Are we victims of deception...is the world really that dishonest...Or is it that the wealthy and powerful dark forces of the world...KNOW they will never have true love and set up a sublime system that blocks us from having real wealth? It's just weird and odd..there is someone for everyone- why can't we be with that someone...If there is a God- is he a bit of a prick?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So are the chances for having as much money as your heart desires (for many, this would be an infinite supply)... for a lifetime, though
Wrong because everyone's desire for money is different. Some people wouldn't desire the entire planet in cash or have what they desire already. Money is more likely.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Wrong because everyone's desire for money is different. Some people wouldn't desire the entire planet in cash or have what they desire already. Money is more likely.
And some people already have true love, so what?

Enough to never have to work again, plus buy whatever you wish and take trips to other countries whenever you feel like it? For life!? That's the way the OP defined it. And of course it's unrealistic. And if not, why are you giving up something like true love for it in the first place? You'd trade an average financial life and awesome love life for an average life in both regards?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Money doesn't always fuel people's lifestyles it depends on what you consider is your choice life style. Right now somewhere in the world are two people, back packing on a budget who are falling in love because of chemistry not because of money, who are experiencing each other and the world around them because of the simplest things like a drink on the beach yet at the same time one of the hardest things to find real love that no amount of money can buy.
Good for them, I don't like backpacking. So, what is your point? I rather focus on the tangible and not live life by how I feel. How about you try to pay your next bill with love and see where that gets you. I can do what I want or go where I want. Why? I have the money to do it. I worked my tail off and getting my priorities in order.

Quote:
So you can afford the latest iphone well cool, or maybe you got it by racking up your credit card and now must work work work to pay it off. Now what? Got anybody to call that really loves you or you love them?
I didn't get the iPhone but I got the new Samsung Galaxy and I paid cash for it. I do have someone to call who I loved but that's irrelevant as it didn't factor in my decision. It's a fantastic piece of technology and I wanted it. It's still just as worth it to me even if I didn't have some kind of love in my life.

Quote:
Not saying money doesn't matter but it shouldn't rule everything. Somewhere in the world right now is a filthy rich guy who it is his birthday today and no one thought to call him or express genuine feelings to say happy birthday. He may get a call tomorrow though from one of his dime a dozen women though because she needs a loan.
Boo hoo, like he really should be sad. I never got one happy birthday on a past birthday. I didn't care though because I care very little about most people's opinion of me. I put no value in birthdays anyway. My birthday means I'm one year closer to death.

Quote:
Somewhere in the world actually many in the world there is a guy who worked hard, pays his bills who just got a notice that he is laid off or down sized because someone above him is concerned with fueling their lifestyle. Somewhere in the world is a guy who works hard and pays his bills and was just told he has 6 months to live and he is thinking now about all the things he hasn't done because he was so worried about working hard to pay bills for all those material things and how all those bills and things mean nothing now.
Yep and I possibly fired him. Considering that I fired someone a couple of weeks ago to save money in our branch's pocket. The world is unforgiving as it should be. He should have been prepared. If I had 6 months to live then that's fine considering I lived life to the fullest while packing my pockets. I would have no sympathy. Life is full of disappointments. Those bills means nothing? You're off you're head. I bet you don't have the guts to tell your electric company that and live with no electricity.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
And some people already have true love, so what?

Enough to never have to work again, plus buy whatever you wish and take trips to other countries whenever you feel like it? For life!? That's the way the OP defined it. And of course it's unrealistic. And if not, why are you giving up something like true love for it in the first place? You'd trade an average financial life and awesome love life for an average life in both regards?
The title clearly states "as your heart desires". That in itself is undefined and can't be defined as you can't dictate how much money one desires. So, the fact you are trying to spin it off something that's incorrect in nature makes your point incorrect.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times
Quote:
Money doesn't always fuel people's lifestyles it depends on what you consider is your choice life style. Right now somewhere in the world are two people, back packing on a budget who are falling in love because of chemistry not because of money, who are experiencing each other and the world around them because of the simplest things like a drink on the beach yet at the same time one of the hardest things to find real love that no amount of money can buy.
I have no interest in backpacking or anything like that. I'm a natural loner who would like to make enough money to be completely self-sufficient

Quote:
So you can afford the latest iphone well cool, or maybe you got it by racking up your credit card and now must work work work to pay it off. Now what? Got anybody to call that really loves you or you love them?
You act as if single people don't have any friends to hang out with or family lol.. Besides iphones can do more than just call people.

Quote:
Not saying money doesn't matter but it shouldn't rule everything. Somewhere in the world right now is a filthy rich guy who it is his birthday today and no one thought to call him or express genuine feelings to say happy birthday. He may get a call tomorrow though from one of his dime a dozen women though because she needs a loan.
With enough experience, he knows how to handle that situation

Quote:
Somewhere in the world actually many in the world there is a guy who worked hard, pays his bills who just got a notice that he is laid off or down sized because someone above him is concerned with fueling their lifestyle. Somewhere in the world is a guy who works hard and pays his bills and was just told he has 6 months to live and he is thinking now about all the things he hasn't done because he was so worried about working hard to pay bills for all those material things and how all those bills and things mean nothing now.
Really, how do you know what's going through people's minds?, maybe he's accepted his death with dignity.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,844 times
Perhaps I am just an old sentimentalist, but as far as making a decision, this was one of the easiest polls I have ever taken. Hands down, far and away, the choice is love.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
The title clearly states "as your heart desires". That in itself is undefined and can't be defined as you can't dictate how much money one desires. So, the fact you are trying to spin it off something that's incorrect in nature makes your point incorrect.
So what are we assuming it means for some? Give me a dollar amount. Maybe we could say, "It's like winning the lottery once?" Of course it would have to be enough to at least mean the person would never have to work again (which was specified in the OP). This is no more realistic than the prospect of finding true love!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,960 times
Quote:
Somewhere in the world is a guy who works hard and pays his bills and was just told he has 6 months to live and he is thinking now about all the things he hasn't done because he was so worried about working hard to pay bills for all those material things and how all those bills and things mean nothing now.
I know this is very difficult for people to accept it but after you die, whatever you did, felt or thought won't have mattered for a second. We're not as important as we think we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships