Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or a chance at true love?
I'm a woman and I choose a chance at true love 39 22.54%
I'm a woman and I choose as much money as my heart desires 35 20.23%
I'm a man and I choose a chance at true love 34 19.65%
I'm a man and I choose as much money as my heart desires 65 37.57%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So what are we assuming it means for some? Give me a dollar amount. Maybe we could say, "It's like winning the lottery once?" Of course it would have to be enough to at least mean the person would never have to work again (which was specified in the OP). This is no more realistic than the prospect of finding true love!
It wouldn't have to be that because the OP cannot dictate what I desire. I don't desire money to the point that I never have to work again. You can't compare something that is unknown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,418,521 times
If I could choose, I'd opt to say.. neither. Why go chasing two things that don't define you as a person? Both of these concepts are mere illusions if you keep chasing it externally.

True love already exists within you.

All the amount of money in the world cannot make you happy or rich inside, if you aren't happy with yourself as a person.

In the process of obtaining true love and money riches, you also forget that all of these qualities exist within yourself. So when you try to define yourself from something external or conventional, you lose your own integrity as a person. You forget to think for yourself.

After all, isn't our own personal integrity more important? Instead of some superficial validation, a mere illusion which leaves people feeling hungry, starving and inadequate like they are not good enough?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
It wouldn't have to be that because the OP cannot dictate what I desire. I don't desire money to the point that I never have to work again. You can't compare something that is unknown.
Okay? So, again, how much money would you desire? And just how realistic do you think the prospect of getting that money all at once would be?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Okay? So, again, how much money would you desire? And just how realistic do you think the prospect of getting that money all at once would be?
I don't want or need money all at once.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
The OP suggests an infinite amount of money if that's what you want. Since the question is completely hypothetical, it doesn't matter how realistic it is (and it's not realistic). Does the money appear by magic? It doesn't matter, it's a hypothetical scenario. Surely no one's expecting to have to suddenly choose between true love or all the money they could ever need or want. If we wanted to pose a realistic scenario, we could choose between:

a) Being in a fairly decent relationship with someone you love, although the relationship occasionally has troubles and is by no means perfect. Financially you have a mediocre job that you don't particularly mind but it's not something you like (you frequently dread going to work but once you're there it's tolerable), and it pays the bills but you're certainly not completely free from money worries.

b) You go on dates regularly but being so focused on your career/business you don't necessarily put a lot of time and energy into it. You've had a few decent relationships in the past but they inevitably end for a variety of reasons. Maybe you hold out hope that you'll eventually find true love, but most of the time it doesn't cross your mind because you're busy with work. But you love your job and make quite a bit of money. You're not insanely wealthy but you don't have to worry about money and you can enjoy the finer things in life, assuming you don't go completely overboard constantly.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Good for them, I don't like backpacking. So, what is your point? I rather focus on the tangible and not live life by how I feel. How about you try to pay your next bill with love and see where that gets you. I can do what I want or go where I want. Why? I have the money to do it. I worked my tail off and getting my priorities in order.

I didn't get the iPhone but I got the new Samsung Galaxy and I paid cash for it. I do have someone to call who I loved but that's irrelevant as it didn't factor in my decision. It's a fantastic piece of technology and I wanted it. It's still just as worth it to me even if I didn't have some kind of love in my life.

Boo hoo, like he really should be sad. I never got one happy birthday on a past birthday. I didn't care though because I care very little about most people's opinion of me. I put no value in birthdays anyway. My birthday means I'm one year closer to death.

Yep and I possibly fired him. Considering that I fired someone a couple of weeks ago to save money in our branch's pocket. The world is unforgiving as it should be. He should have been prepared. If I had 6 months to live then that's fine considering I lived life to the fullest while packing my pockets. I would have no sympathy. Life is full of disappointments. Those bills means nothing? You're off you're head. I bet you don't have the guts to tell your electric company that and live with no electricity.
My point is you don't need alot of money to go where you want or do what you want depending. It doesn't cost much money to go to the beach with a 6-pack or a bottle of wine, but quality time there with someone you love is priceless. Some believe living life to its fullest isn't measured by money and the pursuit of it. You can offer someone a billion dollars to love you but it won't happen for real, because as you know loving someone deep in your heart just happens.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I have no interest in backpacking or anything like that. I'm a natural loner who would like to make enough money to be completely self-sufficient

You act as if single people don't have any friends to hang out with or family lol.. Besides iphones can do more than just call people.

With enough experience, he knows how to handle that situation

Really, how do you know what's going through people's minds?, maybe he's accepted his death with dignity.
Backing packers was a example. The point is they may not be living in 5 star hotels or eating lobster but that doesn't matter to them they are experiencing lifes more simple but better pleasures and have found true love.

My point is work work work to buy things but never stopping to smell the roses and then regreting it one day.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
I know this is very difficult for people to accept it but after you die, whatever you did, felt or thought won't have mattered for a second. We're not as important as we think we are.

That isn't the debate. The debate is do you want to be surrounded by real love or people who love you for your money? If you have or could have kids would you want them to love you or squabble over your assets as you go?

If you want people to love you for your money which isn't real love anyway you are living a hollow existance and using your money to cover up that emptiness.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
My point is you don't need alot of money to go where you want or do what you want depending. It doesn't cost much money to go to the beach with a 6-pack or a bottle of wine, but quality time there with someone you love is priceless. Some believe living life to its fullest isn't measured by money and the pursuit of it. You can offer someone a billion dollars to love you but it won't happen for real, because as you know loving someone deep in your heart just happens.
Are you saying that I'm wrong for working to make as much money as I physically can?

Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Why are us humans denied true love during our life time? Is it us? Or is it some cosmic force that seems to have a cruel heart? Or is it the way material society is set up? Things change...families that in one century were the top of the heap- then next generation there is a decline.. Are we afraid of true love- or do we think we do not deserve it? Do we lie to ourselves...and have others lie to us? Are we victims of deception...is the world really that dishonest...Or is it that the wealthy and powerful dark forces of the world...KNOW they will never have true love and set up a sublime system that blocks us from having real wealth? It's just weird and odd..there is someone for everyone- why can't we be with that someone...If there is a God- is he a bit of a prick?
This post....is thought provoking.
I am pondering this now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships