Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or a chance at true love?
I'm a woman and I choose a chance at true love 39 22.54%
I'm a woman and I choose as much money as my heart desires 35 20.23%
I'm a man and I choose a chance at true love 34 19.65%
I'm a man and I choose as much money as my heart desires 65 37.57%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Are you saying that I'm wrong for working to make as much money as I physically can?
Nope do what you think will make you feel happy. I am just having a philosophical debate and stating my opinion on the matter between choosing to have real love in your life or lots of money. You may have both, but the question was to choose between the two.

The philosophical question is, what makes you truly happy and wealthy in life. My opinion is having nice things might bring some sort of satisfaction but without emotional happiness you soon realize that all the stuff your money bought is just superficial.

See, I have lived both sides of it, I have lived where a couple years I sat alone on Christmas feeling down because nobody I cared about was around. I have nice things for me anyway and I enjoy them but they don't mean much when you are feeling like nobody cares about you. Sure it is nice to be able to buy a amp or guitar on a whim, but I also realize love of life and the very simple things of looking around me and soaking it in or having somebody that you care about and cares about you around is more important than chasing coin. For the last few years I am back in close contact with real friends, and I have not been alone like on Christmas since and that is wealth worth more than coin.

As far as real love between a woman and I, well that still eludes me for now. But I know how rare that is so if it happens hell yeah I'd rather have that then boat loads of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
The OP suggests an infinite amount of money if that's what you want. Since the question is completely hypothetical, it doesn't matter how realistic it is
I was addressing those who commented on how easy it would be to maintain that lifestyle for the rest of your life, compared to how easy it would be to keep your true love with you. I say they're about the same in this regard. Infinite money is, of course, infinite; but so is true love. That's the whole point of distinguishing it from "love" in the first place.

Beginning in the OP itself, there is a clear bias that assumes the money will always be present and the "true love" could still vanish. The problem is that the OP draws the following conclusion from the results of the poll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
The intent behind the question was to figure out what women and men value most between love and money. It's a if you had to choose question.

The results are pretty obvious Most women put emphasis on love and most men put emphasis on money.
For all we know the results actually indicate a preference for what's permanent. It certainly does not mean anyone who chose the infinite supply of money values money more than love. Not when "true love" is supposedly something that could still vanish at any time. It'd be like me asking "Would you rather have $5 or the love of your life forever?" and then claiming the results prove love is the winner over money.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Nope do what you think will make you feel happy. I am just having a philosophical debate and stating my opinion on the matter between choosing to have real love in your life or lots of money. You may have both, but the question was to choose between the two.

The philosophical question is, what makes you truly happy and wealthy in life. My opinion is having nice things might bring some sort of satisfaction but without emotional happiness you soon realize that all the stuff your money bought is just superficial.

See, I have lived both sides of it, I have lived where a couple years I sat alone on Christmas feeling down because nobody I cared about was around. I have nice things for me anyway and I enjoy them but they don't mean much when you are feeling like nobody cares about you. Sure it is nice to be able to buy a amp or guitar on a whim, but I also realize love of life and the very simple things of looking around me and soaking it in or having somebody that you care about and cares about you around is more important than chasing coin. For the last few years I am back in close contact with real friends, and I have not been alone like on Christmas since and that is wealth worth more than coin.

As far as real love between a woman and I, well that still eludes me for now. But I know how rare that is so if it happens hell yeah I'd rather have that then boat loads of money.
We'll agree to disagree but I'll take the money. Love won't help me reach my personal goals and my personal worth isn't wrapped up in someone else.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM

37 posts, read 53,503 times
looks like I am not the lone male voting here lol

Old 09-28-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
my personal worth isn't wrapped up in someone else.

Plenty of people fall into that trap of defining themself by their special other, but what I am talking about is that real love is when you feel your own personal worth but when you meet the right special other they compliment you, they are a extention of your self worth or self-being.

Its called being your own person (self worth or self love) who extends their life into someone elses also

Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Plenty of people fall into that trap of defining themself by their special other, but what I am talking about is that real love is when you feel your own personal worth but when you meet the right special other they compliment you, they are a extention of your self worth or self-being.

Its called being your own person (self worth or self love) who extends their life into someone elses also
MEH - true love has absolutely nothing to do with self worth.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 PM

190 posts, read 305,343 times
All the older people I've ever spoken to said to me that love is BS and it only happens in movies. They have the experience, so they're probably right.

people say money doesn't buy happiness. I disagree with that. I bet it does. Nobody actually needs love.

You need money tho

Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
MEH - true love has absolutely nothing to do with self worth.
I didn't say that. Gawd some of you just don't get. Do you feel self worth because someone smoozes up to you to get money from you and you can afford to buy her affection or do you have self worth because someone really cares about you?

Do you want a girlfriend who stays around because you sugardaddy her who otherwise couldn't care less about you or do you want someone who really loves you?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
I didn't say that. Gawd some of you just don't get. Do you feel self worth because someone smoozes up to you to get money from you and you can afford to buy her affection or do you have self worth because someone really cares about you?
Neither.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:

Do you want a girlfriend who stays around because you sugardaddy her who otherwise couldn't care less about you or do you want someone who really loves you?
For me the money isn't an issue of self worth, it's a matter of simply not ever having to worry about money. Simple as that. For those of us who've never known what it's like to not have to pinch ever penny, not having to worry about money at ALL is a pretty huge deal. Almost all the stress I deal with on a regular basis is due to money, but I hardly ever think about not having true love in my life. It would be great if our society placed a greater emphasis on love than money, but it doesn't. And as long as it doesn't, money is just the more practical choice for many of us. Money is necessary, love is just a nice bonus if it happens to come your way.

As far as a girlfriend staying with me only because I have money, when I imagine having unlimited money I don't imagine having a girlfriend. I imagine doing all things I've always wanted to but couldn't afford to try. I imagine helping out my family and friends when they need it. I imagine using my money to help lots of people in need. But the thought of a girlfriend throughout all of that didn't even cross my mind. Maybe that shows how little I truly need a romantic relationship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships