Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or a chance at true love?
I'm a woman and I choose a chance at true love 39 22.54%
I'm a woman and I choose as much money as my heart desires 35 20.23%
I'm a man and I choose a chance at true love 34 19.65%
I'm a man and I choose as much money as my heart desires 65 37.57%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:44 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times

Advertisements

You totally skewed it toward money by your wording. If I always have at least a chance at true love (which is all anyone ever has, really) then of course I'll take the money, duh. This didn't really illuminate anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 10:26 AM

9,110 posts, read 6,329,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I typically hate these black-and-white questions, because they are usually stupid and false choices. I am married to a woman I love.

I chose Love over Money. I once dated the daughter of a coal multi-millionaire. She was okay, but certainly not worth putting up with her a-hole father at every Friday night dinner, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and God knows what else until the end of time. I'm pretty sure I would have ended up bashing his skull in with a five iron at whatever horrid country club he forced us to join. Meanwhile, my wife and I started out poor as church mice, worked hard, and have zero worries financially.

When you marry for money, you pay for every dime.
This isn't about choosing between marrying for money or marrying for love. Rather it is about choosing virtually an unlimited amount of money versus seeking love. Big difference. As you are from the south I understand it might be hard for you to comprehend that not everyone seeks marriage.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:31 AM

651 posts, read 408,220 times
Im a man and chose the money option. Now, if you threw in another curveball and said that this option excludes possibility of true love then I would probably go the other way.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
True Love?
Like When Harry met Sally, Pretty Woman , Titanic ?

Listen if you can sit down and watch the Hallmark movies with your wife that's true love!

No beers allowed.
Yeah, uh okay.

That sounds more like torture.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
This isn't about choosing between marrying for money or marrying for love. Rather it is about choosing virtually an unlimited amount of money versus seeking love. Big difference. As you are from the south I understand it might be hard for you to comprehend that not everyone seeks marriage.
Ah, the lazy "You're from the South" comment, as if that actually means anything at all. Anyone else you care to stereotype? African-Americans? Latinos?

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 06-22-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-22-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Ah, the lazy "You're from the South" comment, as if that actually means anything at all. Anyone else you care to stereotype? African-Americans? Latinos?
I'll reiterate the part of my post you chose to ignore. Not everyone cares about being married.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:58 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I'll reiterate the part of my post you chose to ignore. Not everyone cares about being married.
Sorry, I was so blindsided by your gratuitous swipe at Southerners that I couldn't read the rest of your nuanced argument. That and the fact that I only have a sixth-grade education. I could have gone further in school, but Daddy needed me to work on the farm instead. That way he could tend the still up yonder in the woods, out of sight of revenooers.

To your point, let's substitute the word 'marriage,' using 'long-lasting, almost permanent, relationship' instead. It's four words longer and contains a couple of commas, but the concept is the same.

Now that we've nailed down that tedious bit of business, I guess it really depends on where you put your stock in in life. If you want an endless supply of money and, hey, screw love, it can be fun for a while. But at fifty-five, I've had the luxury of seeing how those lives end up. Empty and sad for the most part.

My brother was one of those guys for a while. Made serious money and had the life most people would envy, and more than once talked about how marriage (Oh, excuse me. Long-lasting, almost permanent, relationship) was for chumps. Golfing vacations to places such as Palm Springs and St. Andrews. Life in the movie biz. Periodic rolls in the hay with beautiful, available women. You know, the nonstop fun life most guys dream about. But at forty-five, he basically woke up and realized how utterly shallow and unfulfilling it was to live a life solely dedicated to the pursuit of fun. He met his wife, married her and did everything in his power to have kids. Finally, they managed to adopt one. But every time we get together, he talks about how he wished he had met his wife and settled down a lot earlier.

So, yeah, there's your answer. Be careful what you wish for. Now excuse me for a minute while I go slop the hogs.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 06-22-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 09:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
I didn't vote. The questions are worded too badly to take them seriously.

But I'd take love over riches any day and every day. Been a millionaire and been broke, and the best times of my life were when I was broke. Not even close.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:00 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,919 times
True love vote here. Look at all those lotto stories that had bad endings. Being given all the money you will ever want all at once has a dark side component to it.

Earning your money through hard work and smart investing would be made easier with your true love at your side.
True love really is priceless.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 AM

747 posts, read 443,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWright View Post
This. But I think love does exist. It just isnt fairy tale nonsense.

I never said love doesn't exist. Of course it does. There are all kinds of love.

But the notion of there being "one true love", "soulmate" that sort of thing is fairy tale nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships