Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,163,843 times

Advertisements

Here's a simplified version of what I know about the "cost" of an affair.

The "work out of town" scenario is the easiest way, logistically, to have one.

An "in-town" affair is MUCH more difficult logistically.

You have to consider other relationships,

where you can go to be alone or without being seen by someone you know,

how you will communicate without arousing suspicion from anyone,

how you can explain for unaccounted time,

keep track of how you explained for unaccounted time,

pay for things (like food or hotel rooms) in cash.

The emotional cost is higher, of course.

The fear about revealing to someone that you are attracted to them and want to have an affair is insane.
You spend a LOT of emotional energy planning the logistics part, worrying about lying, getting caught in a lie, covering your tracks and remembering what story you told for later (months later when someone says, "Remember, it was that time you went to that all-day seminar?" and you're thinking, "What all-day seminar?" because you were actually with your lover), etc. An affair robs you of "being present" in either life because it all is rigged, so it's like you are living a fake life.

The thing you don't know going in is how much in emotional limbo you will be.

When you are with your spouse, you miss your lover. When you are with your lover, you feel guilty about being away from your spouse/family etc.

SO whether an affair is worth it or not depends on the reasons you went into it. Not all affairs are the same, just like not all people and conventional relationships are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,287,695 times
The logistics aren't a nightmare.

It takes 5 minutes.

My current lover would pop over in his lunch hour, and I've been to his work

Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,408,109 times
People who are in happy relationships don't even feel the need to cheat. Sure, I'm occasionally attracted to a male co-worked, but would never cheat. I don't even fantasize about it. Those who are cheaters by nature will cheat even if they have the "perfect" relationship and stability (if they have the chance). Many others wouldn't cheat even in a miserable marriage. A vast spectrum.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,840,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
People who are in happy relationships don't even feel the need to cheat. Sure, I'm occasionally attracted to a male co-worked, but would never cheat. I don't even fantasize about it. Those who are cheaters by nature will cheat even if they have the "perfect" relationship and stability (if they have the chance). Many others wouldn't cheat even in a miserable marriage. A vast spectrum.
A step further. Sometimes someone doesn't realize that the reason they are not happy in their relationship is because they are not happy with self. Something missing an it can be unfortunately much easier to place the blame on what's around you instead of searching from within.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,767,847 times
It depends how good the relationship is. Sometimes an affair on the side is worth every minute. You weigh up what you have to lose. If you're in a crappy marriage or relationship you have little to lose, if you're in a great one you have everything to lose.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If you've never done it, you really can't say that it's not "worth it."

People have affairs of different kinds for different reasons.

You know, as much as I want to agree with Chow, I have to say I agree with you more.

The "worth" of something can be very relative.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,287,695 times
If I'dve had an affair during my crappy marriage, I may well still be married. Unhappily.

I had every reason you can think of to do it, but I already had enough problems without adding a third party into the mix.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:41 PM

52,393 posts, read 52,909,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You know, as much as I want to agree with Chow, I have to say I agree with you more.

The "worth" of something can be very relative.
This post sorta surprised me.......

I guess morality and values are relative????

I thought when we make a commitment to others... it wasn't so much "relative"... I thought it was through thick and thin and the rest of the commitments...

I guess if it is convenient I'll uphold certain values otherwise... I won't....

It's all relative... right???

Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 PM

52,393 posts, read 52,909,163 times
Well...
This was an interesting experiment.

Just proves what I thought... I should just shut the f up and keep my mouth shut.

When ever I think out loud, I always get my ass handed to me.... I should know by now... especially with this snake pit here called CD........

Old 09-09-2012, 06:08 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,163,843 times
Why are you taking your ball and running home now?

The one thing I've learned is that I have to stop being surprised when everyone on earth does not think like I do. There are SO many people out there, each with their own history. How can we all possibly think the same things???

You had an opinion. Not everyone agreed. The point of civil discourse is that you are allowed your opinion and the other person is allowed theirs. Why demonize someone just because they disagree?

You said you wanted to leave judgment out of it, then got all judgy on us. Snake pit??

Your posts are usually very thoughtful and, IMHO, worth sharing.

No, morality is not relative, but you asked about worth. WORTH is RELATIVE, in economics and elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships