Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,295,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Of course, those kinds of comments can be interpreted a putting down women. Being a woman isn't a character flaw, but sometimes that's what it sounds like when men (and some women) throw around the words.
Expressions such as “man up…you should have balls and do it…” imply that women are weak, are cowards, lack bravery, etc. Unless there was an expression that said “Come on, woman up!...you should have ovaries and do it…”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 01:17 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,621,610 times
women indeed are the weaker sex, in every sense, but it isnt polite or politicaly correct to point out this fact. Women also get away with alot more gender bashing and even sexual abuse in the workplace. Think about this, what would be a response from general public, if a program like the view, had some old bitter dudes on it, spending 90% of their time bashing women? unnaceptable, would never happen. How many times are you n your workplace and hear women making sexual comments about men and no one even blinks "oh he has such a nice butt" or "the ups guy could come home with me anyday", yet if it were men to make these exact comments, they would be sitting in their HR office for sexual harassment. This is why guys whpo are affraid to approach women, are such a laugher, becasue they dont realize that women they are approaching are not only more nervous and scared but also way more insecure.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM

36,792 posts, read 31,072,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The comment wasn't made to the man who put on a sweatshirt. It was made to the woman sitting to the insulter's right. The guy who the insult was aimed at never even heard it.
Well in that context its jerkish. Sounds like he was taking a jab at the woman.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,235,487 times
Quote:
I'll throw this out there for c-d's opinions...

Mixed-gender group hanging out. A guy turns to the woman on his right and insults another guy in the group by saying to her, "He's worse than a woman," and rolls his eyes. The woman was upset about the insult which she thought puts down women as well as the guy he was intending to insult. The guy tells her to lighten up, she doesn't have a sense of humor.

Is the guy a jerk? Or is the woman overly sensitive? What say you, c-d?
What say I? "It's not that hard. Half the population is worse than a woman."

Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM

64 posts, read 85,767 times
Sounds like he was a jerk for saying it TO the woman if he didn't knowher and she sounds a little too sensitive. I'm a woman and I've said it countless times to men I know that they can be worse than a woman. Women can be chatty at times. When I'm ready to leave a party, I say my good-byes and wait for hubs because he's busy yapping. A male friend of mine is ALWAYS cold. We had a party at our house over the summer and he begged us to start a fire in the fire pit so he could warm up. My husband's friend takes over an hour to get himself ready when going out.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,329,960 times
Ascension2012...glad to disagree with you...some women may not be as physically strong as men (a lot are, some even stronger)but other than that they are definitely the stronger sex in every sense...I'd say it might not be politically correct to say THAT....in answer to the OP, I'd say the guys obviously one who thinks women inferior,...his loss...I think his comment was insulting, and if he doesn't know it (I think he does), he's a definite lost cause.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:22 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,374,720 times
He's a jerk...

...and probably gay.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,943,880 times
People are offended by anything today.

It doesn't matter what you say, somebody somewhere will be offended by it.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
Quote:
I'll throw this out there for c-d's opinions...

Mixed-gender group hanging out. A guy turns to the woman on his right and insults another guy in the group by saying to her, "He's worse than a woman," and rolls his eyes. The woman was upset about the insult which she thought puts down women as well as the guy he was intending to insult. The guy tells her to lighten up, she doesn't have a sense of humor.

Is the guy a jerk? Or is the woman overly sensitive? What say you, c-d?
She should be no more insulted than a black person would be if he said "He's worse than a black guy," or a Jewish person if he said ""He's worse than a Jew," or an Asian, Christian, insert whatever group.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,163,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
It's a form of masculine shaming.
I've never heard that phrase before. I understand the meaning but as i'm no longer 8 I don't see how that would have an effect...

Belittling someones gender in reference to the gender of the opposite sex is supposed to 'shame' the recipient... nope, sorry... don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships