Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 AM

89,295 posts, read 45,022,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
He was just trying to say "Man up".

She shouldn't have taken it as an attack on women.
He could have just said "Man up!"

Instead, he chose to say "He's worse than a woman." Why denigrate women to get the point across? Especially TO a woman?

At least he tipped his hand and now this woman knows exactly how he feels about women. Killed any interest in him she had.

Take it as a "how NOT to impress women" example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,400,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Take it as a "how NOT to impress women" example.
I actually have impressed a woman in a similar way. I was talking to a friend and acting like I didn't know she was there (even though she knew I did know), and I said "Another thing about women is that they all... *turned to see her* ...rock!" She thought it was funny. Not long after that, we were dating.

Quote:
In the context of what happened, this poster seems to have nailed it...
Why did you ask what we think about it, if you've already made up your mind? You seem to have a more intimate knowledge of the people involved, their relationship with one another, and the general sort of humor prevalent in the group/individual. I've actually made a few off-color comments about Hispanics to my gf (who's Hispanic). Does it make me a racist, or a regular guy whose gf has a great sense of humor? Me and my friend make jokes about "how women are" all the time, and neither his wife nor my gf gets upset. It just depends on factors you haven't elaborated on yet. But the context of what happened is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Why did you ask what we think about it, if you've already made up your mind?
To get a sampling of how pervasive the kind of attitude the insulter in the OP has is. It's a lot more pervasive than I would have thought.
Quote:
Me and my friend make jokes about "how women are" all the time, and neither his wife nor my gf gets upset.
Right in the OP I said it wasn't a joke. It was a put down. Some of you are equating it with a joke. It wasn't, and I specifically said such.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I actually have impressed a woman in a similar way. I was talking to a friend and acting like I didn't know she was there (even though she knew I did know), and I said "Another thing about women is that they all... *turned to see her* ...rock!"
It worked because that wasn't a put down. The comment in the OP was a put down.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,400,524 times
Quote:
Right in the OP I said it wasn't a joke. It was a put down. Some of you are equating it with a joke. It wasn't, and I specifically said such.
Okay, well for future reference, insults are insulting by definition. When/if you are sure someone was trying to insult another person (or group of people) who hasn't done anything to deserve it, just know that it is always inappropriate. Take this information with you wherever you go

Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,311,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
People are offended by anything today.

It doesn't matter what you say, somebody somewhere will be offended by it.
That's true....but this guy shoulda thought about what he was saying before he opened his insulting mouth....maybe he thought it was funny, but I don't think she did, and when you're with someone, you'd think that their feelings would matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships