Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,238 times

Advertisements

For those who didnt bother reading the link I posted earlier, heres what was found during an exeriment:

Messages received after a week:

Messages received after 4 months:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Yeah, some people might mistake your abstinence for some kind of conservative or puritan lifestyle, when it is really health based. Did you specify that it was because of your allergies that you didn't drink?
Yep, I put that in my profile because I knew it would be an issue. It doesn't help for those who filter out non-drinkers, but I'm also the child of an alcoholic so I'd prefer someone who is a rare or fellow non-drinker.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
For those who didnt bother reading the link I posted earlier, heres what was found during an exeriment:

Seems like a legit study to me.

Yup.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post

Based on nothing more than looks, I find Guy #4 the most physically attractive but the one I'm actually most drawn to is Guy #3.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Why on earth would you correspond for several months? I usually prefer to meet as soon as our schedules permit if a rapport has been established. Why drag it out otherwise?

Of course, I had a guy contact me who wanted to meet after one email exchange because he didn't want to spend his time exchanging "1,000s of emails." Yeah, I don't either, but I"m definitely worth more than just a couple.
He lived about 100 miles from me and he kept asking to meet but something in my radar was going off. He kept talking about me moving to his town, getting married then me becoming a housewife but I knew this wasn't my idea of a dream life. However because I wasn't getting more responses I thought this was the best I could do.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:18 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Seems like a legit study to me.

Yup.
It's not a scientific study, just a casual observation.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Wow. What is wrong with people? People actually do this?

OMG You have NO IDEA of what people say/do. It would blow your mind completely...

Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Online is a concessionary avenue towards relationship building. The rest is immaterial pantomime and windmill jousting. Even for attractive females with high volume of response, it fundamentally subordinates them vis a vis the females who do not need said avenue to receive validation from the offline real world perceived desirable male suitors who are her playground.

Work, schools and social circles...the rest is the alleyways. Stop banging yourself against the online wall or accept the concessionary nature of your interpersonal life. I quit the online self-defeating game, found someone within the mainstream 3 (work, in my case) and I'm extremely happy with the way my life is going after my divorce. Looking back at the years of online dating I just shake my head at the pre-sunk ship nature of those online machinations. I know some outliers find reasonably genuine relationships that spur from an online meeting, but I wouldn't certainly base the outcomes of the median on the anectodal successes of the few. The evidence of the aggregate lack success of online dating is pretty well documented IMO.

Good luck to all!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Even the religious sites were bad. I was chatting with this one guy for several months and it seemed like he wanted to get married. Then he started asking me questions about my body and requesting nude photos.
That's funny, back in my single days, the women/girls would inquire as to the size of my bank account, car driven and income. - apparently money is also a religion. Then I'd play stupid and string them along the same way they strung the guys (i know 2 wrongs don't make a right). You should have sent him a grotesque picture of something, then given him the heave-ho.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,737 times
I'm not sure what the hell happened last night on POF, but I changed my profile picture yesterday, and I got 135 messages in one day. That is absolutely outrageous. I think there must have been some sort of glitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships