Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 AM

496 posts, read 941,329 times

Advertisements

Once you have found a person that is very special to you, does it ever bother/nauseate you that you slept with other people that you cared for a lot less?

My SO and I were talking about this - how we hate to think about the exes because the juxtaposition of the two (our relationship versus our relationships with our exes) is just kinda nauseating. And I almost posted on another thread that I had no regrets about the past dating experiences I had, but tbh, that's not true. I wouldn't call them "regrets" exactly, but I would say I look back on a couple of them and think, "WTH was I thinking?" I guess this applies primarily to those who are in LT relationships or marriages, but I think it can also apply to generally regretting that you slept/made out with so and so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM

86 posts, read 118,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
Once you have found a person that is very special to you, does it ever bother/nauseate you that you slept with other people that you cared for a lot less?

My SO and I were talking about this - how we hate to think about the exes because the juxtaposition of the two (our relationship versus our relationships with our exes) is just kinda nauseating. And I almost posted on another thread that I had no regrets about the past dating experiences I had, but tbh, that's not true. I wouldn't call them "regrets" exactly, but I would say I look back on a couple of them and think, "WTH was I thinking?" I guess this applies primarily to those who are in LT relationships or marriages, but I think it can also apply to generally regretting that you slept/made out with so and so.
My guess is your bf was just going along with you on this. Why would anyone regret their past "relationships" (leaving out one night stands) when they are part of what shaped you into who you are today. Past relationship prevent you from making the same mistakes in your current relationships. Embrace them don't' regret them.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM

496 posts, read 941,329 times
Agree - we are who we are because of our past experiences. Still, though, doesn't get rid of the "ugh."

Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
I may have a feeling of distaste for an ex - in one or two cases - but even so the sex was good! So, sure, a "WTH was I thinking" regarding the relationship in general. However, as others pointed out, those experiences shaped my present attitudes so that I make better choices now.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
I definitely have some people in my past that I look back and wonder what the heck I was thinking. But at the time it was what I thought I wanted, and I think ultimately every failure has taught me something and made me a better partner for the person I'll end up with. You can't change the past so it's pretty pointless to spend time feeling bad about it.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I'm not in a LT relationship right now but I cared a lot for both of the men I've been intimate with so I doubt I'd feel that.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
Quote:

Oh, do I. But, I was a weaker person back then. I own it. I needed the lessons and I got them. But it's all paying off today. Invaluable. Really.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times
No. While I might not make the same decisions if I had the chance to go back and do it all over again, what's done is done. Not all my choices have necessarily been smart, but they don't nauseate me.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Quote:

When I was in my early to mid 20s, I thought like that. Then I realized that it made no sense and was most likely a product of society turning sex into a moral issue, especially for women. When I stopped to analyze my choices, really think about them, it occurred to me that I actually have pretty good taste in men: Most of them were very good-looking, and the ones I had relationships with all treated me very well. I have both a good eye and good judgment. Therefore, my man is in good company.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:06 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
No, and I doubt very much if I would be as happy as I am today if I had not had sex with every one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships