Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,732 times

Advertisements

This one is for the lawyers in Miami. I married a Colombian national on August 18, 2006. We divorced shortly thereafter (about 6 months later). We filed for a simplified divorce, waited 30 days, went before a judge who granted it and walked out of the courthouse. An online marriage search in Miami Dade Licence bureau does not show the divorce but does show the marriage. It is now 5 years later, and I don't know what the legal status is. Is it possible that some bureaucratic glitch may not validate this hearing and procedure? Is there some other step that may have fallen through? I don't remember the date of the hearing, but it must be recorded. There was no alimony or support granted.

Paperwork is an issue. My ex would habitually throw away some of my things when I was traveling, and the papers may or may not be in storage files. She is financially irresponsible and manipulative, and she just advised me that she has become an American citizen. I suspect she used this paperwork glitch as 'proof' that she was married to an U.S. national for over 2 years. Am i on the hook for her obligations? Are the online records definitive? Are the simplified divorce judge's calendars recorded and kept? How is this best solved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
If you went before a judge and his ruling was to grant the divorce, then it all should be on record. Even if it was not properly recorded. At the very least, you should be able to request the court to research it, pull the court reporters notes, etc.

Really, you should have received a signed and certified copy of the divorce decree from the court. If your ex threw it out, what was your ex doing in your place after the divorce anyway?

As long as the divorce was finalized, you should be able to prove it. However, if the paperwork is lost and was not properly filed, then you may have a lot of hoops to go through.

You may want to contact the court about it, and might want to consider consulting with an attorney who can advise on it.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Maybe this thread should be merged with one of the mail order bride ones.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Contact the county court clerk where the divorce was filed. Ask what you need to do to get a record of the divorce.

Also possible a name was misspelled or the full legal name was not used. So search for records under his name and separate search under her name.

Anyway many legal records are NOT online. Also they can take several years to place records online. Best to check with the court itself (clerk of court).

Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Check with the clerk of courts. Also, followup with whichever agency that provides vital records... Like a register of deeds. And never,ever walk away from a proceedings without your own copy of the paperwork. Make sure is is signed by the judged, or notarized at witnessed.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,118 times
Just because you cannot find it online doesn't mean it doesn't exist where it should be, in the County Records. Not every juristdiction is very good at posting complete information online, especially back to 2007.

Look for it the old fashion way, make a request in writing, or you might be able to walk in and see it yourself. Depends on the procedures of the juristiction.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Go to the court in the district your papers were filed and ask for a certified copy of your divorce. You should have received a copy from your attorney. Attorneys are required to keep your records for 7 years...so if you have to.. contact them.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:20 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Do you have any paperwork that shows your filing number? That would really help you if you do. Go to the clerks office in the county you were married again and they should be able to help find a copy of any legal paperwork associated with your case. I would suggest you do not marry anyone outside of the US anymore. There are many women overseas that just want a way to get to the US and be able to stay.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:43 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Yes, contact a court or an attorney for sure, but if you are sweating it out at this moment, there are several free legal sites you can visit in certain cities which you can search birth, death, marriage and divorce status. I used to check it here every day for free for the detailed coroner's report on my nephew's death, but while it showed the dates of birth and death the report itself took forever to record. You must use the City or County where you were actually divorced. In the case of my nephew he died in another state than where he actually lived and it is only recorded in the city and state where he died.

This site is for the courts of Miami-Dade if that is where you filed divorce I already got into the section to find divorces you just need to click on the first search and do the rest. Family Online Case Search

This is the home page it came from Miami-Dade County - Clerk of Courts

This one is an order a vital statistics document, but they do charge. https://www.florida-vitalrecords.com...rtificate.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships