Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:45 PM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Since many women say personality is important, for some-- more important than looks (assuming the man is well-dressed, or casually but tastefully dressed), I'm curious to see if weight is a factor. I'm talking overweight, but not morbidly obese. Overweight, but still able to be active, go for walks or moderate hikes, maybe he even goes to the gym. Let's assume average or slightly above average looks, aside from the paunch. If this guy were fun to talk to, and had a highly-skilled job (asume B.A.-M.A. or equivalent in education) would you date him? Would you consider an LTR with him, if he had an upbeat personality, no baggage?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-20-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
I dated a guy in my 20s who would be considered overweight via his BMI, but he was just a huge man. He went to the gym every day and was active as hell, but being slender wasn't anything he could achieve. He's built like line backer. Everybody else I've been with has been slender including my husband. I prefer a swimmer's body and while I would like to say it wouldn't matter, my behavior and choices in life wouldn't align that.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Ya know, I have never dated someone who was chunky. Solid, maybe a little belly or 15-20 pounds over what a chart says but with muscular arms, back, etc. so that in general, he wasn't soft and flabby. So I guess I wouldn't.

Then again, obviously overweight men never really asked me out, either. I was always on the thin, petite side, and am pretty height-weight proportionate even now in my 40s (despite wanting to drop 15 for vanity's sake). So I guess that attracted the guys who were in decent shape. Water seeks its own level, I guess.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Since many women say personality is important, for some-- more important than looks (assuming the man is well-dressed, or casually but tastefully dressed), I'm curious to see if weight is a factor. I'm talking overweight, but not morbidly obese. Overweight, but still able to be active, go for walks or moderate hikes, maybe he even goes to the gym. Let's assume average or slightly above average looks, aside from the paunch. If this guy were fun to talk to, and had a highly-skilled job (asume B.A.-M.A. or equivalent in education) would you date him? Would you consider an LTR with him, if he had an upbeat personality, no baggage?
LOL! So basically if this guy was perfect in every other way possible, except he has a pudge. Oi.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 PM

99 posts, read 167,601 times
Probably not. I simply am not attracted to overweight men. And even though "looks" aren't "important," attraction to your partner is.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
LOL! So basically if this guy was perfect in every other way possible, except he has a pudge. Oi.
LOL, I was sorta thinking the same thing... LOL....

I think if a lady doesn't like herself a fatboy, she shouldn't date a fatboy. No harm in that.

This is coming from a guy who needs to drop a few.......

Old 10-20-2012, 03:06 PM

499 posts, read 756,436 times
I say it over and over again. I have a lot of overweight women in my circle (co-workers, friends who used to be skinny and women who were always big) and all of them have a problem with dating big, fat, overweight men when dating casually and speak in disgust if one tries to approach them.

I know all women can't be like that, but I always find it amusing when women cry about how looks matter so much to men and how women are more "open", but women (esp in their prime) are quick to dismiss short men (and high fiving in the process) even if they are short themselves, and how most all of the "BBWs" I know say things like "only I can be the big one in a couple" or they say "no way, I'd never date a fat dude"

While I'm built and athletic and it doesn't offend me per say, it speaks volumes that women are JUST AS into looks as men.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
They would...you know how I know? They do..

Actually, it goes "fit-muscular-fat-thin-wire-y"

Fat is more ideal than thin in guys for most girls...
(Assuming, not obese..of course)

Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you describing me?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:09 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
Yes, I would
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships