Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 01:45 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
It's not something a person believes. Some bisexuals admit that they long for the other gender.
Some bisexual men admit that they long for the other gender? And? This becomes some sort of universal, "bisexual men will always want to be with a man" thing?

I honestly wish I had a dollar for every married straight man who has said to me "but my wife doesn't understand me". That she doesn't fulfill his "needs", his "longing", yada, yada. With this experience I have, can I now extrapolate it into a universal statement like "straight men have problems forming committed, monogamous relationships"?

How would that be any different than what you are doing here?

Quote:
I disagree. People's preference can be to date someone who is the same sexual orientation or a different orientation. Either way, it's a preference.
Yup, a preference rooted in ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 01:51 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Some bisexual men admit that they long for the other gender? And? This becomes some sort of universal, "bisexual men will always want to be with a man" thing?
Nope. Just understandable why some women choose not to or prefer not to be with a bisexual man.

Quote:
.I honestly wish I had a dollar for every married straight man who has said to me "but my wife doesn't understand me". That she doesn't fulfill his "needs", his "longing", yada, yada. With this experience I have, can I now extrapolate it into a universal statement like "straight men have problems forming committed, monogamous relationships"?

How would that be any different than what you are doing here?
I didn't say all bisexual men. I said some or many admit to longing for the other gender and keep this from their wives. Hence I can understand why a woman would not be interested.

Quote:
Yup, a preference rooted in ignorance.
You call it "ignorance." Others call it common sense or protecting themselves from a potential uncomfortable or heartbreaking situation. Maybe it's ignorant not to respect other people's taste, choice or preference. Nothing wrong with people dating people whom they want to date and not dating people they do not want to date. If that's "ignorant" than that's most people. Because most people usually have a preference. Even some bisexual people only want to date other bisexual people. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:58 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,782 times
Sprite just curious but how old are you?

If you are young, you may change your thinking later in life.

It seems best not to date at all. But until then, it is probably best if you just ask that very rude and intrusive question, that you want to know about their sexuality. Put it on yourself, your obsession with your own distorted sexual views and that you are working on getting a more wholesome perspective.
But you mention it because you don't want to waste his time because you have issues and are unable to budge. And it may cause conflict later because you are going to keep trying to pry, then you may even use it against him by restricting his friendships with others.

He can either lie to you, tell you the truth, or say nunya....but worded like that, I think you won't get told off at least. And it is being fair to that person for them to know the real reason you may place a wedge in between you two after you have already bonded (in his/her mind).

Old 12-08-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:

You call it "ignorance." Others call it common sense or protecting themselves from a potential uncomfortable or heartbreaking situation. Maybe it's ignorant not to respect other people's taste, choice or preference. Nothing wrong with people dating people whom they want to date and not dating people they do not want to date. If that's "ignorant" than that's most people. Because most people usually have a preference.
Yes, people have preferences.

I'm all for people dating whom they wish to date.

However, when people promote offensive stereotypes and ignorant generalizations about entire groups of people under the guise of "preference", they shouldn't get upset when they're called out on it.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:11 PM

31,051 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Interesting. Perhaps that says more about the type of people you know (and your view of them) than anything else?
Could you pick an easier comeback? Since I used a CDC link to quantitatively back up my experiences you could have a least come up with something better than that?

I know it feels good thinking that all people are wired the same regardless of sexual orientation and or preference, but men, women, gays, Lesbians, Asexuals, and Bis dont all exhibit the same sexual exclusivity as each other.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:14 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,208 times
Quote:
Yes, people have preferences.

I'm all for people dating whom they wish to date.

However, when people promote offensive stereotypes and ignorant generalizations about entire groups of people under the guise of "preference", they shouldn't get upset when they're called out on it.
What sterotypes? Some bisexuals admit that they, indeed, long for the opposite gender of the person they are married to. That's not stereotyping if they admit it. I'm just repeating what they said. I don't find it surprising if some do, in fact, long for the opposite gender of their significant others. And people shouldn't get upset if a bisexual admits that and if I mention it.

Also, the other day on a radio show, the doctor said that 50% bisexual men and gay men will get HIV. I'm not saying this. The doctor stated this.

Last edited by Sprite97; 12-08-2016 at 02:24 PM..

Old 12-08-2016, 02:17 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
In summation, on your first date, "what would you like to drink" ask "Are you totally straight or bisexual?"

OKC actually does ask if you would date someone who swings both ways.At least there you get that important ( to many) piece of information.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Could you pick an easier comeback? Since I used a CDC link to quantitatively back up my experiences you could have a least come up with something better than that?
How does an article that focuses on the HIV status of gay and bisexual Latino and black men back up your statement about bisexual men cheating on their partners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I know it feels good thinking that all people are wired the same regardless of sexual orientation and or preference, but men, women, gays, Lesbians, Asexuals, and Bis dont all exhibit the same sexual exclusivity as each other.
And it would be very interesting if you actually had some support for that statement.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
What sterotypes? Some bisexuals admit that they, indeed, long for the opposite gender of the person they are married to. That's not stereotyping if they admit it. I'm just repeating what they said. I don't find it surprising if some do, in fact, long for the opposite gender of their significant others. And people shouldn't get upset if a bisexual admits that and if I mention it.
ster·e·o·type
ˈsterēəˌtīp/Submit
noun
a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.

--

How is what you are saying about "bisexual men longing for the opposite gender" not a stereotype per that definition?

Sure, some people admit this. Some bisexual people will not be happy in a monogamous relationship. But to take these facts and apply them to an entire group? Can you really not see why some people would be upset to be categorized like this?

Old 12-08-2016, 02:33 PM

31,051 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
How does an article that focuses on the HIV status of gay and bisexual Latino and black men back up your statement about bisexual men cheating on their partners?

And it would be very interesting if you actually had some support for that statement.
"Article"?
You apparently have never been to the Center for Disease Control Facts pages. If you took the time to read through some of it, other than a sentence or two, you might learn something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships