Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,787 times

Advertisements

Any other bicultural people have a problem with not wanting to be with someone of either of your cultures as it's like "letting go" of the other side?

Any advice (from anyone)?

Also, assuming a person is from two cultures, x (from his mom's side) and y (from his father's side), typically, does he end up with someone of culture x or y?

Just a weird thing having to introduce to one side of your family a person who is "of the other side"...

(Particularly when people of both your cultures hardly exist...so that isn't a practical option either..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
If you date someone from culture "z" is it going to be like letting go of both cultures x and y? Just sayin'.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Nah you can still have both. Get a person that is open to both. There are people like that you know.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
I'm bicultural but in a different way. I was raised in a traditional household while growing up in America, and my parents have the same cultural background. I keep the good things about my culture and apply it to my life in America, but I also live by the (some) American culture to break away from the bad values in my culture. It's annoying having to balance both.

My friend is half Japanese and half Caucasian, but she's fourth generation (I think). She doesn't know much (or anything) about her Japanese side besides her relatives and that she's half Asian. I think she feels more associated with American culture. Not sure if I answer your question.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
I'm bicultural but in a different way. I was raised in a traditional household while growing up in America, and my parents have the same cultural background. I keep the good things about my culture and apply it to my life in America, but I also live by the (some) American culture to break away from the bad values in my culture. It's annoying having to balance both.

My friend is half Japanese and half Caucasian, but she's fourth generation (I think). She doesn't know much (or anything) about her Japanese side besides her relatives and that she's half Asian. I think she feels more associated with American culture. Not sure if I answer your question.
For me it was the opposite, raised in a relatively modern household but in conservative Malaysia. I'm not really sure whether I identify with the Chinese or American culture yet. Like you said, it's irritating trying to balance all the pros and cons of each. I suppose this move to San Francisco is me attempting to reconcile the cultures.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:32 PM

601 posts, read 758,928 times
You have to also consider that groups moving into the US arent exactly the same as groups already established in the US.
For example..

A child born in mexico but brought into the US at an early age will have experienced the world in a different context although his parents brought their personal values with them..Theyre not exactly equal. The parents are mexican..but the child into adulthood is really mexican american. His/her values will be different from that of his parents. its inevitable.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
For me it was the opposite, raised in a relatively modern household but in conservative Malaysia. I'm not really sure whether I identify with the Chinese or American culture yet. Like you said, it's irritating trying to balance all the pros and cons of each. I suppose this move to San Francisco is me attempting to reconcile the cultures.
I think diverse area is the norm for me compare to living in a homogeneous area. For some reason it makes me even more aware of how Asian I am. The last time I felt this way was at college.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

783 posts, read 2,587,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Nah you can still have both. Get a person that is open to both. There are people like that you know.
Second this opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships