Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,428 times

Advertisements

I don't know how I stumbled onto one of the many many threads started by what seems like insecure 20somethings who think that they will get more women by quantitizing their "worth" but let me put this to you:

Friend of mine (I am a gay man, she is a straight woman) is absolutely gorgeous. Used to model for pinup stuff, now very successful in a creative field. Looks a lot like Gwen Stefani but with green eyes and a better bod. Anyhow, this woman is getting married to a guy with the following attributes:

-shorter than she is
-makes an average wage
-average looking (not unattractive but I don't want to do him)
-drives a crappy car
-not overconfident, not a player, not got any game
-smart, quiet
-I am betting average in just about every way physically.

Honestly, she gets swarmed by men with lots of money, lots of game. hot men, successful men, etc. This is the man she chose--someone you would call a beta. She met him at work, and they get along famously and have been together for three years. She has not even *looked* at any of the offers dangled in front of her.

So how do you explain this? She isn't needy, greedy, burdened with baggage, old, dumb, or broken in any way. By your theories, this should not happen. And yet it has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,286,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I don't know how I stumbled onto one of the many many threads started by what seems like insecure 20somethings who think that they will get more women by quantitizing their "worth" but let me put this to you:

Friend of mine (I am a gay man, she is a straight woman) is absolutely gorgeous. Used to model for pinup stuff, now very successful in a creative field. Looks a lot like Gwen Stefani but with green eyes and a better bod. Anyhow, this woman is getting married to a guy with the following attributes:

-shorter than she is
-makes an average wage
-average looking (not unattractive but I don't want to do him)
-drives a crappy car
-not overconfident, not a player, not got any game
-smart, quiet
-I am betting average in just about every way physically.

Honestly, she gets swarmed by men with lots of money, lots of game. hot men, successful men, etc. This is the man she chose--someone you would call a beta. She met him at work, and they get along famously and have been together for three years. She has not even *looked* at any of the offers dangled in front of her.

So how do you explain this? She isn't needy, greedy, burdened with baggage, old, dumb, or broken in any way. By your theories, this should not happen. And yet it has.
Why is this such a surprise?

She met him at work, he was probably super nice and has a great personality and treated her like the woman she wants to be treated as. They get along famously and have great chemistry. She can see herself having a great life and family together. And it doesn't hurt to know he will probably never cheat on her, because she's the best thing that will ever happen to him (according to you)...

Good for him

Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,524,539 times
In spite of a few people on this message board trying to act like this is an anomaly, couples like that are everywhere. There are many men who are so called "average" who are dating and married to very attractive women.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,428 times
Its not a surprise at all. I agree with all you said. My point is, that from a "PUA" point of view, she is a catch that is only approachable by either someone who knows how to trick her into thinking he is worth more than he is (someone who subscribes to this PUA philosophy) or other alpha types. Neither of these are the case.

So where in all this dating worth/quantifiable alphabetaomega stuff is there any room for actual human connection? Just wondering.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,356,859 times
You mean he didn't call himself 'Mysterioso', wear a beaver hat with a neon penis, and reel off backhanded compliments?

Mr. Neil Strauss, please pick up line 2..... Neil Strauss, line 2....

Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
In spite of a few people on this message board trying to act like this is an anomaly, couples like that are everywhere. There are many men who are so called "average" who are dating and married to very attractive women.
Go to any public place, and watch people who are out and about. There are all kinds of couples with all kinds of variables, who aren't just settling or who don't know their "sexual value" or whatever. Of course, according to the interweb that's impossible, because only rich men and hot women ever get together.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,165,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
You mean he didn't call himself 'Mysterioso', wear a beaver hat with a neon penis, and reel off backhanded compliments?

Mr. Neil Strauss, please pick up line 2..... Neil Strauss, line 2....
Dang, and here I was thinking my beaver hat was going to land me some beaver.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,221,090 times
/me waits for the bitter boylet brigade to come in and blather about how one day she's going to get bored with Mr. Average and will cheat on him with a furry-hat-wearing, bug-eyed, woman-hating jackarse like Mystery.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM

904 posts, read 1,383,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I fall into this category!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,221,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Dang, and here I was thinking my beaver hat was going to land me some beaver.

LOL! My comment about Mystery's idiotic hat has nothing to do with your beaver cap. We were writing at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships