Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,263 times

Advertisements

I remember an old Alicia Keys song...in it she categorizes people in four different ways.
Those who live for the fortune, those who live for the fame, those who live for the power, and those who live to play the game.

Which category would you fall into? And even if you did (or have ) achieved what you live for, does it really mean anything if you don't have someone to share it with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
My motivation has always been to do what brings me happiness and comfort/well-being. Most of that has been addressed by the simple existence of my son, but staying healthy and fit (mentally as well as physically) is a huge contributor as well.

I have been in relationships, and out. I don't think "having someone to share it" defines whether or not I am motivated, or happy. I'm a pretty independent person that has never really been dependent on someone else. I enjoy sharing my adventures with another, but I also enjoy savoring moments alone.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
What Chessie's Mom said.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
I concur. If someone's whole motivation in life is "finding someone to share it with" I'd categorize that person as being in serious need of professional help! Quite the recipe for a pretty miserable existence. Life isn't one- dimensional.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
My motivation for life is pretty damn simple. It's a series of very small, very obtainable goals .. like getting a good cup of coffee, finding time to shop for the perfect small gift for a friend, completing a project at work in a timely fashion and having time left over in the afternoon to fool around, getting a good night's sleep, etc. When I was younger, I focused on the big things -- fame, fortune, power -- that was miserable. These days, I think much smaller and let the big things take care of themselves.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:45 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I concentrate on being happy in the moment. I make choices with the goal of increasing my happiness (while weighing their impact on others).

I remain open to love, but good lord. I have so many people in my life that I love, so many rewarding interests and activities and so many choices and opportunities that I don't consider unhappiness to be an option. Heck, I've even been in crazy storybook love with an unusual guy who returned those feelings - so it's not like I've never been in love or been loved. Overall, I've been dealt a pretty good hand by the universe, and I'm not gonna complain if I don't win the Lifelong Relationship Lottery.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
To find things that make me happy and fulfilled and positive, and incorporate them into my life as much as possible. A healthy, mutual relationship with the right person is certainly among those things. But it's certainly not the ONLY way to be happy, fulfilled, positive, and loving life. And it really SHOULDN'T be. I prefer to share the good thing in life with others, am not overwhelmingly solitary (although I do appreciate alone-ness, as well). But there are loads of people with whom to share the good things in life, in addition to a romantic partner.

I lived with someone for five years. I adored him, and it made me happy to share all the good in my life with him. That's over, now, but it hasn't meant that life no longer has meaning and that there is no happiness to be had, simply because he isn't the person who ultimately wanted to continue to share that life. Your life doesn't stop when somebody exits it, and neither should the motivation to live the life you want and love. Happiness doesn't have to hinge upon the changeable whims of another, and it's really best to be of the mentality that it doesn't.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
I've found my motivation in life to change over time. I get the perspective of sharing our joys with others. When I create a piece of art, or do anything, it's loses something if I don't have anyone to share it with. Beyond that, tho, my motivations have been rooted in other peoples beyond a SO. My professional endeavors were sparked by my late twin brother. Now pregnant I'm experiencing something new all together. An overwhelming sense of purpose to deal with this little creature inside of me. I imagine other things will come up down the road as well. I would really like to own a kind of gentleman's farm (lady's farm?) in my retirement years for needy, abandoned domestic animals.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I concur. If someone's whole motivation in life is "finding someone to share it with" I'd categorize that person as being in serious need of professional help! Quite the recipe for a pretty miserable existence. Life isn't one- dimensional.
How about 'having found someone to live with'. The hunt is the pain, but I imagine the rewards can't be matched by anything.
?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,355,463 times
Learning about others...but fame could be a secondary goal. I've always loved attention. Wealth, power, and getting into a relationship with others all seem overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships